World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

$8 in OGP of the Royal Australian Mint. I can't find a flaw. I thought it was a reverse proof but it's weight indicates and packaging says "frosted uncirculated coin"... PhotoEditor_20191006_202535421.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Love the frosted appearance of this coin. Was is OGP?

4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Original Government Packaging

TuckHard likes this.
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Picked up this Ptolemy II Octodrachm recently.

Ptolemaic Egypt was the only Greek-ruled kingdom to strike large quantities of enormous gold coins weighing nearly an ounce. This denomination, today usually called an octodrachm, was worth 100 silver drachms, or one mina, a small fortune in ancient times. The Greco-Egyptians called the 100-mina piece a mnaieion (min-EYE-on). The first mnaieions carried four royal portraits -- Ptolemy II and his sister-wife on the obverse with the epithet adelphon ("sibling lovers"), backed with the portraits of his parents, Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice I, now identified as theon ("gods").
    I like the coin because it has 4 royal portraits :happy:

This particular one is an AU* 5/5 AND 5/5 and possibly my last big ticket (at least for my budget) ancient for the year

Ptolomy II Octo Obv.jpg

Ptolomy II Octo Rev.jpg

6. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

VERY cool. How many grams?

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

27.67 grams:)

8. princeofwaldo

The eyeballs alone must weigh 3 grams... Remarkable that many centuries later the Spanish Empire decided an 8 Escudos would weigh almost exactly the same.

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

10. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Recent local show buys. I'm enjoying world coinage more and more and...uh-oh...my first Thaler...this may be the beginning of...something. :)

coins_20191009 (2).jpg
    coins_20191009 (3).jpg
    coins_20191009 (4).jpg
    coins_20191009 (5).jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

longshot, lordmarcovan and Mr. Flute like this.
  12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard the dark and slippery slope...I fell down it long ago

Mr. Flute likes this.
  13. Mr. Flute

Yep. I see this as a certainty in my near future. The dealer I bought the 1753 from also had a 1612 Lubeck Thaler in nice circulated condition for a reasonable price.

This may compete heavily with nice Standing Liberty quarters for my limited collection funds.

Chris B likes this.
  14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Just remember, its only money..........555!
    (That is Thai lingo, pronounced Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Mr. Flute likes this.
  15. princeofwaldo

If it makes a difference (and it always has to me), the Lubek Taler is likely as scarce as a 1918/17-S Standing Liberty Quarter but without the high price tag. That 1908 Austrian 5 Corona on the other hand is abundantly available up through AU, the real challenge is finding one in nice MS condition. I like it more than the Taler denomination because it is bigger and has more silver in it, a silver crown by anyone's definition which isn't always the case with Talers.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  16. Mr. Flute

I fully understand the comparative scarcity/rarity of USA coins versus non-USA coins. The Lubeck was priced at $275, which I feel is a good price for a 407 year old large silver coin.

I bought the 5 Corona because it's a crown sized coin type I didn't have yet and it was a good deal.

I paid $60 total for the Bavaria Thaler and the 5 Corona, so that's not bad.

coin_nut and Chris B like this.
  17. princeofwaldo

Had this one a couple years, paid about $275 or what you would expect to pay for a similar graded 1878-8TF Morgan. I've got most of the set, including the 10, 20 and 100 Corona struck for the 60th anniversary of reign. There's also KM-2808, a real common 1 Corona available (even in high grade) for only a few dollars, - I'm missing the easy one! For whatever reason, they didn't strike a 2 Corona for the anniversary which I have never understood.

aus1908a.JPG aus1908b.JPG

18. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Simple, the 2 corona denomination did not exist yet in 1908.

After the 1908 Austrian corona type, even the 1 corona/korona denomination was not struck again until 1912 in the empire, where it was then struck alongside the new 2 corona/korona denomination during 1912 and 1913. Only Hungarian mints also struck a 2 korona in 1914, but it had a very low mintage.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    princeofwaldo likes this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Canadian bank token.

100_1936.JPG

20. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

My latest addition to my ICCS graded Canada Silver Dollar set. 1939o-horz.jpg

21. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Got this a few weeks back. Hoping the low mintage will increase the value some day. Peace 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted