World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Another one from the Stephen Album sale. Once again, there photos and description.

Cey181502.jpg Cey181501.jpg

Obverse: Laureate head right
    Reverse: Elephant left, date below

Composition: Copper

CEYLON: George III, 1760-1820, AE ½ stiver, 1815, KM-80, Prid-92, bust right // elephant left, hints of red, one-year type, UNC, ex Jerry D. Williams Collection. An Order in Council dated 1st April, 1814, authorized a silver and copper coinage for Ceylon to the extent of 10,000 rixdollars in silver and 200,000 rixdollars in copper. The silver coinage was to consist of one denomination and the copper coinage of five. On the 1st December, 1814, the Royal Mint, London, received orders from the Treasury to strike the coinage. For the copper coinage, although dies were prepared by Thomas Wyon for a ¼ stiver, only three denominations, the 2, 1 and ½ stiver were struck for circulation. The metal for this Ceylon coinage was obtained from demonetized English halfpence. All coins struck bear the date 1815.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

PhotoEditor_20190920_201930100.jpg PhotoEditor_20190920_202025173.jpg

Thoughts on conservation? I will start with a distilled water soak.

Chris B, PaddyB and MontCollector like this.
  4. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Razz: very nice coin! After the distilled water soak (which I suspect will give only limited results — hope I’m wrong) you may wish to try a good soak in acetone (pure stuff from a hardware store, NOT nail polish remover). If, say, an overnite bath doesn’t get the grunge off, you might try (believe it or not) a soak in olive oil. This might need a lengthy soak, so be patient. (Checking to see how it’s going is OK ...). Oh, and don’t waste the good Extra Virgin stuff; cooking grade works just as well, if not better (slightly higher concentration of oleic acid, which is what does the work). I currently have an otherwise nice VF 1871 IHC going into its third month — or is it the fourth — of treatment, but it was an ugly patch of hard black crud, not like yours. Mine already looks MUCH nicer! Let’s hear how it goes with you.
    Dave S.

5. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Order of Malta 1968

E38D51F2-E0DF-4027-93A9-C2F1C9EBE4DB.jpeg 4B4CA64B-021C-4384-A506-E97AE4736108.jpeg

Paddy54, coin_nut, PaddyB and 4 others like this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks Dave, yeah the distilled water helped a bit but acetone is the next step!

7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Steve66 likes this.
  8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I like how the font of the obverse legends always gives away that it is a Maltese piece before paging down to see the reverse!

Chris B and Steve66 like this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Depending on how effective the acetone is, consider following that with xylene. That's a nice coin, but has some gunk that really needs to be gotten off.

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks! Definitely will try that. I have the pure acetone, where is a good source for xylene?

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Same place you find the acetone. Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc.

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks!

13. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Yes. Good for you, Maxfli; v. sound followup.

14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

A pair of Portuguese India coppers that came a few days ago. 1886 PT-IN 1-4 t obv.JPG 1886 PT-IN 1-4 t rev.JPG 1901 PT-IN 1-2 t obv.JPG 1901 PT-IN 1-2 t rev.JPG

PaddyB, MontCollector and Chris B like this.
  15. coin_nut

Careful with the olive oil! It can take away the surface toning of the copper. I use it carefully with a soft tooth brush and tooth pick to remove such gunk, then immediately wash well in the kitchen sink. The olive oil is slightly acidic and a long soak might discolor the coin.

16. coin_nut

Here is a before and after example of my cleaning method as described above. Looks like it could use a bit more tooth pick work. 1875 CH 2 r obv C-1-horz.jpg 1875 CH 2 r obv C-2-horz.jpg

Steve66 and MontCollector like this.
  17. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Coin Nut: Yes, I have seen other posters voice the same caution but no, in my several adventures with this process, I have never had the misadventure you warn about. In my current ongoing job described above the IHC I’m working on has been in the soup now for over 3 months with no apparent effect on the toning other than a VERY slight overall lightening, which has left a somewhat darkish piece actually looking better! I guess “your mileage may vary” is true sometimes... And yes, gently picking away at the crud with something WAY softer than the coin as you describe would probably well serve Razz. I’m having to cope with much harder stuff than you & Razz are. I learned about the oil soak from some ancients collectors; they swear by it. Anyhow, let’s see how it goes.

coin_nut likes this.
  18. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

My newest acquisitions courtesy of some family friends.

DC87AB08-34C3-46D2-81A9-BEAB9D2C2E0B.jpeg

FB1CF996-0DA8-4C4C-BEA6-C38BABACDD84.jpeg

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I heard tell if you freeze this coin in distilled water then thaw several times the contraction of the medal may loosen the material around the devices.
    This may take several freeze/thaws....to get the dirt to loosen.

20. coin_nut

I wonder if you could thermally shock the coin to loosen deposits? I am thinking of freezing a coin then dropping it in boiling water, or possibly heating the coin to about 150F then dropping it in ice water. I will experiment on some no value coins and see what happens.

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So here is my after acetone soak of 4 hours. I used a qtip and toothpick to try and loosen the gunk a bit as well. I have tried previously to heat the distilled water prior to soaking the coin. Looks like xylene and or freezer method next. PhotoEditor_20190922_155809092.jpg PhotoEditor_20190922_155734352.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted