World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

622-1781 Princely State of Jaipur 1 paisa. One of the dozen old Indian coins that came recently, and I have ID'ed only 6 of them so far. It is a thick, heavy dump type coin. 622-1781 PS Jaipur 1 p obv.JPG 622-1781 PS Jaipur 1 p rev.JPG

gronnh20 and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I saw this a few years ago and finally bought it today at the Santa Clara show. I love how its struck over an 8 Reales. The date would be above the crown and the only numbers I can see are 181. The bust facing right, is to the left of "9". That's his chin. Now, I would really like to find the one struck over the US bust dollar.
    [​IMG]

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

5. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

Its came with old 2x2 flip cardboard . i have the similar yellow spots on other silver coin! Nobody knows for sure what causes them

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

1859 Switzerland 20 Rappen

IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG

gronnh20, Chris B, Nas and 3 others like this.
  7. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Recently picked up these coins as a lot, paid $50 for all the coins shown.

Attached Files:

Steve66, gronnh20, Nas and 1 other person like this.
  8. coin_nut

I think you did OK. Wonder why those (cobs?) each have 4 holes in them...

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'd guess they were used as buttons or something similar.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. coin_nut

(Referring to the Swiss 20 rappen above)
    I love the toning/surface effects of that coin. I think I will try carefully cleaning this old rappen and see what comes out. No way it will be as stunning as yours, I am sure. 1875 CH-B 2 r obv.JPG 1875 CH-B 2 r rev.JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    gronnh20, PaddyB, Nas and 2 others like this.
  11. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I finally pulled off a huge want--it's a coin I have my 'coin savings account' for. For me it's a good idea to have one account where I put my truly discretionary funds so when one of the big (for me...huge for some, small potatoes for others) want coins comes around I can buy it. On those rare occasions I actually sell something, well this is where those funds go.

Stacks had this coin in the Hong Kong auction. It's very hard to find this variety in this kind of grade (or any kind of grade if you are US based). The Japanese collectors seem to be skewing heavily towards PCGS so I suspect this played a part in being slightly more 'affordable'.

My photos are not glamour shots, they seem to emphasize the warts on coins while minimizing the nicer bits. This is a pretty luster-y coin, not perfect by any means, but super satisfactory. And I finally got to finish my type I, II, and III graphic without using 'artist renditions'.

combo.jpg

And my new graphic. I may have to rethink the arrows, but I was using them to show where the different bits are.
    1870 yen details.jpg

Mkman123, coin_nut, Steve66 and 7 others like this.
  12. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

eBay wins I’m waiting to receive. The 1923 is a higher grade for the date. Only 5 or so graded higher.
    CC1B4071-1783-4A13-8D7F-EC6575AE505B.jpeg F368E6BA-DB55-40C4-AC54-59307931F97F.jpeg 95A8BB9A-35FB-4BDD-B060-19C95D708633.jpeg

spirityoda, Stork, PaddyB and 3 others like this.
  13. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

2012 Latvia, 1 Lats

FAF114F3-D97E-4E57-9E8C-5144FEF13C9A.jpeg 529B8B58-583A-4EF0-88A9-B73E90E81CC7.jpeg

Stork, PaddyB, Mkman123 and 5 others like this.
  14. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well...I wasn't going to deal with coins at all today (the weather is absolutely gorgeous and yard work is calling my name softly and sweetly)...but I sent a text to someone who works at a local coin shop asking if they had anything I'd be interested in. The response:

"Yes! Come in!"

Okay. That's enthusiastic. I'm headed over. I'm also hoping it's not for a couple small pieces of nothing, like it so often is. Or a story about how they "just sold something..."

Nope. Not today.

Get there, and they are very excited to show me a small pile of world silver (which I bought at spot) and a much larger pile of sterling jewelry (which I also bought at spot)

World Silver:

IMG_9686.JPG

BUT...something else caught my eye immediately.

As soon as it was within arms reach, I told them "And I'll take this, too."

IMG_9683.JPG

Opened it up to make sure it wasn't empty.

It wasn't empty.

20 Different Cards:

IMG_9684.JPG

Countries:

Australia
    Austria
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Egypt
    Finland
    Guernsey
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Israel
    Luxembourg
    Mongolia
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Oman
    South Africa
    Thailand

"But..." you're saying, "That's only 17 cards. Where are the other three?"

These were the oh-so-sweet cherries on the top of this sundae:

IMG_9685.JPG

That's one China Proof, one China BU, one USSR Prooflike.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is my Buy Of The Year so far.

So very, very happy.

gronnh20, wcg, onecenter and 10 others like this.
  15. coin_nut

A friend gave me these coins from Kyrgyzstan which he picked up in his recent travels. It seems the denomination of "com" is pronounced "som". 2008 KG 1 s obv.JPG 2008 KG 1 s rev.JPG 2008 KG 3 s obv.JPG 2008 KG 3 s rev.JPG 2008 KG 5 s obv.JPG 2008 KG 5 s rev.JPG 2009 KG 10 s obv.JPG 2009 KG 10 s rev.JPG

gronnh20, Stork, Nas and 3 others like this.
  16. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Nice buy on the circulated silvers. I always like teens Aus coinage and Cuban.

Are the last three cards valuable on the market? I've been hearing that MS/PL/PF 70's and 80's coins for these countries are very desirable. Is that the reason for your excitement?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

coin_nut likes this.
  19. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Me either, and that set may be grossly overvalued, but it's an indication with that many watchers that there is some type of significant interest in it one way or the other.

PaddyB likes this.
  20. coin_nut

"A thing is worth what you can get for it"

21. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

If you check the sold listings, there are quite a few examples that have sold for that much (and more.)

Agreed on @coin_nut statement that something is worth what you can get for it. I’ve had a nice Korean half won in AU58 where I see multiple examples selling for more...but mine has gotten zero love (in the form of offers or bids.)

PaddyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted