World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The Charles II crown indeed seems to be merely a minor off-center strike (not uncommon for the era), rather than "broadstruck", as PCGS has it. The Heritage cataloguer mentioned this in the auction description. I don't mind, since I loved the look of the coin, regardless.

I bought the Reigate Hoard groat from @Paddy54 here. I believe he got it from Dr. Singer. I do wish Dr. Singer would share his knowledge like you say, as I emailed him several questions, mostly trying to establish some documentation so that I could have something tangible enough to present to PCGS in hopes of getting the hoard pedigree on a slab label.

(I was successful in that endeavor with my Gisors Hoard King John penny, but that one had come from a recent CNG auction.)

Alas, he has not replied to my email of March 16th. I'm not totally sure I had the right address, though it seems to have sent OK.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

I picked this up at Heritage Auction last night:
    Dominica, British Colony, Countermarked Coinage - 1798-1813, George III – 1760-1820, 1 ½ Bits (Moco), ND (1798), Silver, NGC XF40, KM#1
    I woulod post a picture, but have never figured out how to do that. I have tried different formats, 3rd party photo sites, and have contacted Coin Talk twice, with no reply.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom right of the text entry box in your reply post. After uploading the file, you can choose to insert the full images of the files directly into your post.

5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

If you keep your photos in a windows folder you can simply drag and drop the ones you want into the dialogue box. Once they have uploaded you will again be given the option for full image or thumbnail. (This is on my laptop with Windows 10 and Chrome - I guess it may different in other environments.)

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

7. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

8. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

9. lordmarcovan

My recent spree had finally subsided, and I was settling back into poverty as usual, but here's one late-breaking addition (for which I'm temporarily in hock to @Paddy54, who you might say made me an offer I couldn't refuse).

I had just sold my Bolivian 1-real cob in the recent reshuffling, so getting another cob so soon is nice, and I've been wanting to add a shipwreck-pedigreed coin to the Eclectic Box for a while, too.

This Mexico City 8-reales piece was salvaged from the wreck of the British East India Company ship Johanna, which met its demise on the coast of South Africa on June 8, 1682.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tibor, spirityoda, rooman9 and 3 others like this.
  10. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Recent buy from my favorite LCS. $45 total, which is a good deal:
    coin_20190322_1.jpg coin_20190322_2.jpg

Stork, Endeavor, lordmarcovan and 3 others like this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

20190322_183417.jpg 20190322_183426.jpg Having owned this specimen for some 15/20 years now,it's time to let her go, and allow another to become her master until the next person takes ownership. We are only stewards of such items in life. Passing them on allowing their history to keep telling their story. One can only Imagine the hands whom have held this piece. Imagine how long it laid in the sands off the coast of Africa, imagine the stories this cob like many coins could tell..... I am happy as to have owned this piece,and pass it on to another so the story continues....15/20 years it spent with me is only a speck of time.... Now it becomes a member of the "electric box hoard" just another point in a time line that has so far seen centuries of owners,adventure,and travel. She was purchased from a ships capitain.....who in history was a part of anothers lifes dream. "Today is the day" a famous quote of Mel Fisher. [See Mel Fisher Atocha wreck] <Google it > I had the pleasure of meeting Mel in Key West back in October 1989. Unknowing at that time of this cob ,or that I be purchasing it from one of his ships captain,and friend. If you ever make land fall on Key West ....one must visits Mel's treasure museum. Unbelievable.....treasures..... one is in awww holding gold bars, a cross made for the pope made of 20kt gold,and one side clean cut emeralds the size of nickels! I will be getting this cob packed up and sent down to Georga this weekend . For centuries this cob has bounced around the globe spending time with its owners used to purchase all its owners desires. Today it leaves a dark safe in Maryland to travel to Georga to be honored by a spot in "The electric box" For how long who knows.... but for now it has again surfaced ,again for others to enjoy it's story. I am honored to have owned such a piece, and also honored to pass it on to you Rob, and having a specimen I once owned to be apart of the famous "electric box hoard"!

MVC_001S.JPG
    This image is of the day Mel Fisher life long saying came true..."today is the day"...the photo is of Mel's company along with Jimmy Buffett celebrating the Atocha discovery.
    It came with a price....Mel lost his son and daughter in law when their boat blew a sea cock,while they were sleeping...the vessel filled with water and capsized!
    Mel's son and wife drowned in their sleep....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Stork, spirityoda, kountryken and 2 others like this.
  12. Paddy54

Not a new acquisition but my Atocha cob an 8 reales, this is only 1 of thousands of cobs found by Mel Fisher. 20190322_183249.jpg 20190322_183300.jpg you'll notice it is double struck see the cross , lions,and castles all doubled.
    It is also has reverse rotation of 90 degrees.

Nathan401, Stork, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  13. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Great deal!

14. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Picked this up last week (in a huge pile that also had an XF 1950 and a few of the 1918/1919 H and KN dates) for a quarter each.

Great Britain 1951 One Penny
    Mintage 120,000​

Great Britain - 1951 Penny.jpg

Paddy54, Stork, onecenter and 7 others like this.
  15. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Very cool buy. I got the same find about a two years ago.

16. lordmarcovan

Great!

The lucky 400-piece bulk lot that made me into a World coin collector around 1990 had a bunch of KN-mintmarked pennies and XF Vickies and two RB UNC 1951 coins and an AU-UNC 1950 and a bunch of blazing red Gem 1940 pennies and ... well... it was awesome. All for a dime apiece. So 40 bucks for the 400 coins.

There was $1,280.00 Krause value in that 40-coin lot, by 1990-91 prices.

Your post made me nostalgic. *sigh*

Blame British large pennies for making me into a Darksider.

PS- but no 1933 in there, obviously.

Kentucky, PaddyB and Hiddendragon like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

18. Paddy54

@lordmarcovan I had several of these at one time a very simple but beautiful specimen. Kangaroo at sunset I believe one still left in one of the safes. s-l1600-2.jpg

Stork and Endeavor like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

It was a fun, relatively cheap purchase. 18 or 20 bucks, in the slab, in @Aethelred's shop.

That sunset kangaroo is a neat design. I think I had one at some point.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

21. lordmarcovan

Just won this with an impulse bid I had semi-forgotten about.

Ca. 1555-1559 Papal States testone of Pope Paul IV.

image00592.jpg

This means that after I recently sold 18 coins from my Eclectic Box collection and paid some bills, I have since in the remainder of the month purchased 18 new coins with the leftover proceeds, thereby refilling all the gaps with somewhat less expensive (but still quite appealing) material.

(And my formerly maxed-out credit cards remain paid off. Yay. So the reshuffling was worth it.)

It all has a nice symmetry to it, and I'm enjoying the new stuff.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    tibor, Stork, Chris B and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted