World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Mintage was 60,674,000. Second highest mintage of the series. Not Rare! Pics are too small to grade, but I wouldn't consider it "high" Uncirculated value is about $5

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Got the half crown for my set, only need the 6p now. Was bidding on a 6p this morning and forgot and lost it for a reasonable price. Was a decent ms63 also. The half crown pictured is a pcgs ms64.
    20190204_223131.jpg 20190204_223150.jpg

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Russian ruble for my turtles collection and a Cook Islands 10 dollars for my elephant collection. 2003 russia 1 ruble turtle.jpg 1990 cook islands 10 dollars elephant.jpg

Stork, Bayern, spirityoda and 3 others like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Perfectly OK to not like that symbol, especially in that context. But "most"?? Contrary to what some in the US seem to believe, German history did not begin in 1933 and did not end in 1945. ;)

Christian

Bayern, Nathan401 and Steve66 like this.
  6. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Probably not even 1%

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The eagle, either with one head or two, has been used as a symbol of the Holy Roman Empire (later: H.R.E. of German Nation), for centuries. Later by the Deutsches Reich (1871-1949), then - and today - by the Federal Republic of Germany.

Friedrich/Frederick "Barbarossa" used an eagle in the late 12th century, as a reference to ancient Rome. (As in, my empire is a continuation of the Imperium Romanum. :) ) Initially that eagle was a symbol of the king, later it became a symbol of the empire and the country. The two-headed eagle refers to the duality of king and emperor.

After the end of the H.R.E. (1806), the eagle was still used by Austria, Prussia and some other countries in the German speaking area. (And of course various other countries in the world, from the US to Russia.) So it was a kind of natural choice to pick the eagle for the Deutsches Reich founded in 1871. The crown on its head was removed when that country became a republic in 1918-19.

The nazis added their party logo, the swastika, in 1933 (misusing an old symbol of luck), and of course that was removed at the end of WW2. But the eagle stayed, and was once again an obvious choice when the Federal Republic was founded. That is why I find it somewhat peculiar, to put it mildly, when someone states that most German coins have a swastika ...

Christian

Bayern likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This person does not speak for all of us. He or she sounds like they're just getting into coins and probably happened to see a few WWII era coins somewhere. Personally I'm practically swimming in German empire coins.

9. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I should have qualified my post. I searched for German coins on ebay and "most" coins that came up were from the thirties.
    I will be more careful to notice the "dates".

Bayern likes this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A nice Qarakhanid dirhem arrived today. Uzgen, AH399

QARAKHANID Nasr b. 'Ali and Ilek Nasr b. 'Ali. Uzkand AH399 rev.jpg
    QARAKHANID Nasr b. 'Ali and Ilek Nasr b. 'Ali. Uzkand AH399 obv.jpg

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

See, you need to find more coins from "before" and "after". :) I am in Germany and do have political issues with statements such as, oh, those nazi years were just a small part of our history. But believe me, there are loots of coins from around here that do not have any swastikas ...

Christian

12. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Even the Nazi coins didn't have swastikas until the late 30s IIRC... at least the "silver crown" type coins.

13. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

A couple of really little things I picked up lately. The Katanga copper franc gets me started on my collection of circulated coins issued by self-declared states that never gained international recognition. Katanga was a southern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo that declared independence in 1960 and was crushed in a brutal war.
    katanga_fr_r.jpg katanga_fr_o.jpg

This Trinidad and Tobago dollar was a sort of throw-in from the same transaction. Krause says this one was only issued as a proof, but clearly its surfaces have been a bit damaged from improper storage. There are light, superficial hairlines on the obverse, which are extremely evident in this picture. The reverse is quite nice, though. The composition is nickel, and despite an ultra-low mintage of just 2000 the coin would only be worth $6 even in its original condition, according to Krause, and I paid $3 for it. tt_dollar_o.jpg tt_dollar_r.jpg

Stork, Bayern, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Garrison Church, 2 and 5 RM: as from 1934. ;)

Ag76 likes this.
  15. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Picked these up the other day., just because i like the design.:joyful: s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 1x.jpg s-l500-horz.jpg

Stork, Bayern, coin_nut and 4 others like this.
  16. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Fair enough! I was going on an increasingly faulty short-term memory. :)

17. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

old49er likes this.
  18. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

19. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I've been on a 5 Kopek kick recently. This one (IMHO) is exceptional.

Rus1781KM01.jpg

Stork, Bayern, wcg and 9 others like this.
  20. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I've been trying to get a nice one recently but I get cleo'd when I try on cng

21. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Just came today, 1791 VOC Galle (Ceylon) 2 stuiver dump, 25.7 grams, 24mm D 1791 G VOC 2 s obv.JPG 1791 G VOC 2 s rev.JPG 1791 G VOC 2 s edge.JPG

Stork, Bayern, longshot and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted