World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I have been looking for a nice 8 reales from Mexico for a long time with good eye appeal. I've been watching this one for 9 days and probably overpaid at $170 but the eye appeal looks fantastic and these are hard to find with a strong strike. I think it's an au58 because of the back on part of the eagle and snake, but the dull color also might be from a mushy center strike. See: https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/wor...1817-37355.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515.
    I think mine may be an over date just like the heritage coin.

Thoughts on the price and grade are welcomed/appreciated.
    Screenshot_20190108-204134_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190108-204138_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FrankRyan

FrankRyan New Member

Liberia 2 cent piece aaaalib.jpg AAAAALIBERIA.jpg

longshot, Bayern, Chris B and 3 others like this.
  4. mkivtt

mkivtt Well-Known Member

FrankRyan likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have wanted an Edward IV Groat for some time, but prices tend to be all over the place.

I finally got one last year but it turned out to be a really good fake from the photo, even fooling another collector of medieval here, but in hand, a seam on edge and bad metal and actually more weight.

It got sent back and a few months later I was surprised to see this listed as a BIN in my price range.

For now, it's staying in the slab.

[​IMG]
    Edward IV, (1461-1470 A.D.)
    AR Groat
    Light Coinage
    O: ЄDWΛRD’ DI · GRΛ’ RЄX · ΛnGL’ · Z FRΛnC (saltire stops), crowned facing bust, with trefoil on breast and quatrefoil to left and right of neck; all within tressure of arches, with lis in spandrels.
    R: POSVI DЄVm · Λ DIVTOR Є’ · mЄVm/ CIVI TΛS LOn DOn (saltire stops), long cross pattée, with three pellets in each quarter.
    im: Crown
    London mint, Struck 1466-1467.
    3.03g
    25mm
    North 1568; SCBC 2000

6. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here are a few new pieces that came in recently. Most are a bit/quite rare for their type.
    1892 (62) Spain 50 cent
    PhotoGrid_1547585764663.jpg

PhotoGrid_1547585791039.jpg PhotoGrid_1547585821608.jpg PhotoGrid_1547585868200.jpg PhotoGrid_1547585914928.jpg

sonlarson, Bayern, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

My first real purchase of 2019. I had made a few small purchases. This is a type I have been wanting for quite a while and consider this one to be better than most for the type. It is well centered and the undertype is prominent.

Description and photo from seller. This came from CNG: Triton XXII

Rus176201.jpg
    RUSSIA, Empire. Petr III Fyodorovitch. 1762. CU 10 Kopeks (43mm, 51.49 g, 12h). Dated 1762. Crowned double-headed imperial eagle facing with wings displayed, holding scepter and orb, coat-of-arms of Moskva framed by Order of St. Andrei Первозванного (the First Called) on breast; crown above; border of ten stars / Drum set on ground with sticks to left behind; trumpet behind drum, facing up; cannon, halberds, and banners on either side; J0/ДЕ/СЯТЬ/КОПѢЕКЪ/· 1762 · in four lines above. Edge: cross hatched . Diakov 30 (example showing traces of undertype); Bitkin 19; Uzdenikov 2622; Brekke 16. VF, brown surfaces. Overstruck on a 5 kopeks of Yelizaveta Petrovna (Elizabeth).

8. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

@Chris B - nice purchase! That is a scarce piece indeed. The overstrike is fascinating.

Chris B likes this.
  9. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

German States - Munster - 1648 - PCGS AU-50.
    Medallic taler commemorating the Peace of Westphalia. E Ketteler; classified as Pax-124; 41 mm. 1648-munster-westphalia-au50-both-small.jpg

sonlarson, Bayern, Zohar444 and 5 others like this.
  10. kazuma78

Picked these up in the most recent Spink auction. In the ancients I missed a couple corinth staters at the beginning that went really cheaply, and was bummer by that. In the group of ancients I bought I liked the simple rendition of the horse on the danube celts tetradrachm.

20190115_202935.jpg 20190115_202959.jpg 20190115_203019.jpg

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I love the Swiss shooting medal.

12. kazuma78

I saw it and had to bid because I loved the design. Should fit nicely in my world crowns set

longshot likes this.
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

sonlarson, Bayern, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  14. Hiddendragon

I've seen a few of them and they all have an amazing design. Too bad the get pricey.

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

My only pick up from NYINC:

1861 Hungarian National Assembly medal with original presentation case
    AR 50mm

1861_sm.jpg
    box_sm.jpg

This medal commemorates the reconvening of the Diet of Hungary on April 6,1861 by Franz Josef, after it had been disbanded following the failed War of Independence of 1848-49. The Assembly would not be called to convene again until 1865, at which point it laid the groundwork for the Austro-Hungarian Compromise that gave Hungary back its sovereignty.

From what I've seen, this medal was struck in copper, white metal, and silver. For whatever reason, the silver version employed its own distinct obverse die, making it easy to identify. This is the only example I've seen with an original presentation case, which is what piqued my interest in this piece, as I already had a white metal example.

16. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Not my usual pickup, but I've had my sights on getting a Gothic Florin from time to time, but I never pulled the trigger until this weekend. Finally, I came across one in an honest-to-goodness, natural state, graded by PCGS with a TrueView. I love that the year is in Roman numerals. SO cool. This one was minted 100 years before I was born.

[​IMG]
    1874 Gothic Florin PCGS VF35 slab.jpg

17. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

18. Hiddendragon

Here's an interesting trio that came yesterday. I've been on an elephant kick lately and I really like the design of the Benin coin. I thought the Tunisian dinar was unusual, and the 1814 Angola macuta has been on my wish list for awhile. 2016 benin 1000 francs.jpg 1969 tunisia 1 dinar.jpg 1814 angola 1 macuta.jpg

19. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Those Macuta's are one of my favorite coins.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  20. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

A cheapie but another step forward in my doubtless lifelong quest to collect 20th-century, silver, dollar-value coins from around the world.
    5fr_obv.jpg 5fr_rev.jpg

sonlarson, Endeavor, Bayern and 3 others like this.
  21. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted