World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Pretty sweet coin, that I have to admit, never seen before.

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@Chris B Congrats on the Ethiopia Birr! I was bidding on that one and decided to not go higher LOL. I will get one of these soon, I need it for my crown sized collection

longshot likes this.
  5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

A couple arrived yesterday from auction:
    Bavaria 3 Kreuser 1736:
    Bavaria 3K 1736 1.JPG Bavaria 3K 1736 2.JPG Baden Wolfenbuttel Quarter Thaler 1612, with a nice Wildman:
    Baden W QT 1612 2.JPG Baden W QT 1612 1.JPG

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

It's not the best one I have seen by any stretch but it fit my budget.

Mkman123 likes this.
  7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Its affordable and I liked it but I do want to try and get a XF45 and higher. The higher grade ones are pricey! But I won a few things at that auction for my crown sized collection, I'll post some soon

8. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This one came yesterday, 1693 Spanish Netherlands 1 oord 1693 NL-ES 1 o obv.JPG 1693 NL-ES 1 o rev.JPG

9. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

The delivery of signed letters from the UK over here has apparently been awarded to a bunch of corner cutting cowboys. After finding my last three signed orders in the outside mailbox, this is how I received my latest one, after spending 11 days in transit.

Seller's address redacted to protect the innocent party.
    20181012_191549-1024x805.jpg

Hit-and-run origami or conveyor belt bear hug?
    20181012_191706-1024x725.jpg

So how was Schrödinger's coin doing in there? Well.. turns out it was completely unharmed. Huh.
    20181012_172114.jpg
    20181012_184214.jpg

Dodged a bullet there.. next time I'll be sure to ask about other delivery options.

10. PaddyB

Surely that would be worth reporting to your postal services in the Netherlands? It must be a local issue - I have sent lots to the Netherlands before without issue, including recently 4 valuable tracked and signed for packages, which arrived safely and on time.

11. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

Yes, I should have clarified a bit more. The parcel delivery landscape has become horribly fragmented in the last few years with local delivery businesses popping up and the issue is almost certainly a strictly regional one. It may even be limited to my municipality. I'll see if I can find out who's behind the delivery, right now I haven't a clue and a quick glance tells me it may take a while to find out. I may have the next parcel from the UK sent to my brother to see if it makes a difference. Though come to think of it, he's told me plenty of horror stories from his side of the country as well.

PaddyB likes this.
  12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

My most notable recent pickups:

Hungary 1867A (Vienna)
    Franz Joseph I Hungarian Coronation Jeton

Mont. 2709 (Hungarian Legends)
    24mm Silver

A tougher type to find for this coronation jeton. Due to the transition at the Hungarian mints this year, the jetons for the Hungarian coronation were atypically struck in Vienna.

jeton.jpg

Austria ND 20 Kreuzer Obverse Hub Trial
    KM-2212 (1868-1872)

Brass

An unusual piece with an incuse strike. This is the obverse for the 20 Kreuzer silver type.

hub_trial.jpg

Hungary 1869KB AR 20 Krajczár
    KM-446 (1868-1869)
    NGC MS64+ PL

A stunning gem prooflike example of this two-year type, for my prooflike set.

PL.jpg

Hungary 1896 AR Denar (Matyas I Type)
    Millennium Commemorative X-5

An exceptionally rare commemorative struck for the 1896 Millennium Expo in Budapest. This example has an unbelievably strong strike for the type, which almost always has weakness throughout a significant portion of the devices.

1896_denar.jpg

13. PaddyB

Serendipity! I picked up this Hungary Denar today. Ferdinand I 1535 with Madonna and Child. I do not have any book that covers these so any info would be appreciated!
    Hungary 1D 1535 1.JPG Hungary 1D 1535 2.JPG

14. PaddyB

Also a couple of upgrades to my English collection - 1684 Sixpence (wrongly labelled as a fourpence in the auction) and a 1719 Farthing with the small lettering on the obverse and missing the stop on the reverse:
    1684 6D 2.JPG 1684 6D 1.JPG 1719 F Small letters, no stop rev 1.JPG 1719 F Small letters, no stop rev 2.JPG

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Hungary 1535KB (Körmöcbánya Mint) AR Denár
    I. Ferdinánd
    ÉH#745a - H#935 (1528-1559) Curved Shield

PaddyB likes this.
  16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A pair of Tibet Kong-Par tangkas

Tibet Kong-par Tangka early obv less 5 WL.jpg
    Tibet Kong-par Tangka early rev less 5 WL.jpg
    Tibet Kong-par Tangka late obv less 5 WL.jpg
    Tibet Kong-par Tangka late rev less 5 WL.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, I don't usually spend more than melt for world silver, but when I do...I like to spend slightly more than melt ($102 for all three) for world silver to add a couple tigers and replace a piece I'd sold a few years back (Puerto Rico 20 Centavos.)

The Russian pieces aren't ballerinas (which I'd prefer) but I'm not really complaining. Tigers are almost as fierce.

Russia - 1996 Proof 3 Roubles
    Y535
    Mintage of 10,000
    .900 silver (1.0 oz ASW)​

Russia - 1996 3 Roubles.jpg

Russia - 1996 Proof 25 Roubles
    Y536
    Mintage of 3,000
    .900 silver (5.0143 oz ASW)​

Russia - 1996 25 Roubles.jpg

Puerto Rico - 1895 20 Centavos
    KM 22
    Mintage of 3,350,000
    .900 silver (.1447 oz ASW)​

Puerto Rico - 1895 20 Centavos.jpg

18. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This one showed up yesterday 1891 CA 1 c obv.JPG 1891 CA 1 c rev.JPG

19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Those seem like really good prices. I've bought similar animal coins from Russia and they usually carry a large premium over the silver value.

20. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I think the 25 Rouble goes for about $250-400 on eBay (depending on whether it's graded or not) so yes, I was very happy with the price.

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Another Meissen porcelain piece. This one is more of an advertising medal (37 mm)or something like that. I'm not really sure what's going on here, some type of drug/perfume manufacturer??

100_6272.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted