World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

This one arrived today, filling one of the last remaining gaps in my Threepence collection. 1690 Threepence with William and Mary first busts.
    1690 3D 1.JPG 1690 3D 2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I did that and came up with this.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21070.html

Looks to be a common coin. Not sure how rare they are now though. I like it because of the nice delamination error on the reverse.

4. TheGoldenLars

TheGoldenLars New Member

I'm new to all this, but my latest acquisition is a 2018 8 gram Panda. GoldenP.jpg
    I'm a little concerned because the coin is in a hard plastic case within the plastic sealed pouch. I was looking online and haven't since this done other than in 2000. Has anyone else seen this in 2018? On another note can I take it out of the plastic pouch? Will it ruin the value? I have all my other coins in air-tites and I think they look nice/are more enjoyable to handle that way. It's sort of a buzzkill having the plastic pouch around the whole thing.

Stork and coin_nut like this.
  5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Some new ones. Wanted one of the Japanese ones for a while.
    IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG

wcg, Muzyck, Stork and 4 others like this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Japan, 10 mon, 1708- 1709:
    Japan 10 mon.jpg
    Although this coin type was tariffed as equal to 10 ordinary copper mon, it only weighed as much as three single coins. It was therefore unpopular with the people and was soon withdrawn from circulation.

Muzyck, PaddyB, Stork and 3 others like this.
  7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Iran.
    20 rials 1979.
    31.jpg 32.jpg

Muzyck, Stork, MontCollector and 2 others like this.
  8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Technically (at least according to Krause) part of the 1980 Olympic series, though struck 10 years later with a much lower mintage of 14,000. Apparently, the same weight, dimensions and reverse design make it similar enough to include it in this earlier series, though the Peter The Great monument in St. Petersburg has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics.

In any case, struck during a very interesting period in Russian history, or more accurately Soviet history. Not a chance 30 years earlier the Soviets would have depicted a Romanov on a coin, Peter The Great or otherwise, but here he is in 1990. Struck after Glasnost and Perestroika had blown things wide open in Russia culturally, and it was finally okay to look back on the Tsarist era with pride and nostalgia. A year later the Soviet Union was history, this coin being one of the last issued by the crumbling government.

Listed as Y-252 in Krause. These were selling for $1,250 in 2008 at the top of the market for Russian material, today a much more reasonable $100 over melt if you look around. Contains 0.5000 AGW.

rus1990a.JPG rus1990b.JPG

9. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I would be more concerned with it being authentic, there are lots of fake Pandas out there. If the packaging is suspect, all the more reason to be suspicious. I would take the coin to a reputable dealer and have them test it on a Sigma verifier to insure it's real pronto. Yours looks real, but the only way to know for sure is to have tested.

TheGoldenLars likes this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

My Newps from the ANA show. My goals were Japan, Albania, and ancients (I took the ancients course while I was there).

I found a small number of ancients that struck my fancy, but will post elsewhere.

An Albanian I was chasing from seeing a listing on a dealer website turned out to be a 'typo'. It was a nice coin it was the wrong variety, so not one I felt like upgrading a modicum considering other budgetary constraints (hello new car next month). I spotted another one I'd want but the condition was too poor (@princeofwaldo it was a 50 FrA...and well battered). Got totally frozen out there.

I saw a few Japanese coins. One theoretically was perfect for me, a rarer yen variety but I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm I should have had. Another dealer had two I liked as nice upgrades but couldn't agree on a price on one, and she had sold the other online the night before (and forgot to take out of her case). One good looking coin was unfortunately mislabeled--upon examination the date did not match the label. The dealer was horrified (especially as he'd paid up for it) but talked to NGC and they are making good on the price differential instead of hiding behind a 'mechanical error' excuse.

I did find a cool Akita bronze. The shape is based on a sword guard and has ?divination symbols on one side and a pair of phoenix birds on the reverse. Casting was done between 1863-1866 at Akita, Dewa Province. Initially 100 mon, but reduced to 80 mon. There are two varieties, and this is the more common 'short tail' version.
    combo.jpg

The other Japanese coin I bought I found firmly in the US section, with the WINGS guy who was set up in that location. I totally didn't need this coin, and have one that is technically a higher grade but not nearly as lovely. No good reason to buy it but I liked it.

Of course it has the WINGS sticker on it too. I was a little surprised at that given the grade (PCGS 66) and what appears to be a small scratch on the reverse. On the other hand, my photos fail to capture the luster and life the coin has and the 'tarnish' is very eye pleasing. He took a second look at it and left the sticker on :D. I was buying anyway it was so nice, and he obviously agreed enough to leave the sticker in place.
    combo f1f1f1.jpg

I must say I'm not totally wrapped up in labels and stickers, but his coins were a gorgeous lot! I'll be sure to look at his table any time I see him.

The third coin defies explanation. Also from the "WINGS" guy. Um, it's not ancient, it's not Japanese, and it's not Albanian. So, why did I buy it? I dunno. I liked it, and like I said, the case was full of goodies. Again, my photos are totally inadequate in catching the life the coin has. My photos are too dull and drab.

combo.jpg

That was pretty much it. I don't think I ever came home from a show so light before! Still trying figure out how that last coin made the cut :D.

Edited to add, I forgot to say that's Elizabeth I, 6p, 1583.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    jj00, CLC2010, Muzyck and 10 others like this.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Your last one is my favorite although they are all nice.

Stork likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Try here...
    https://www.apmex.com/product/152622/2018-china-8-gram-gold-panda-bu-sealed

Shows the plastic slipcover, but I don't see the case.

TheGoldenLars likes this.
  13. PaddyB

This one passing briefly through my hands - Medallion commemorating the flight of the Pelican - KLM Fokker F XVIII from Holland to the Dutch East INdies at Christmas 1933 (and Back). Interesting piece of history:
    Dutch Pelican Medal 1.JPG Dutch Pelican Medal 2.JPG

14. PaddyB

This is another of my favourites from the last batch of Auction purchases. Russia 2 Kopek 1844 in rather nice condition I think. (Came with an old ticket marked £1 - I rather hope it is worth a bit more than that now!)
    Russia 2K 1844 1.JPG Russia 2K 1844 2.JPG

jj00, Muzyck, Nathan401 and 4 others like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What's not to like about old Russian copper. I hope you are going to treat that green infestation around the date...do you use VerdiCare?

16. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Wanted one of these for a while. Finally grabbed one this week. Sorry for the bad photos my camera didn't want to focus. IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0825.JPG

jj00, Nas, princeofwaldo and 5 others like this.
  17. Anthony Rojas

Anthony Rojas Member

1968 rare s mint??

Attached Files:

18. PaddyB

I will certainly do something about it, though Verdicare seems to be unobtainable outside the US, so I will have to use some chemistry I suspect.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

20. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Some new pickups from the last few weeks:

Canada - 1952 1 Dollar
    (Definitely has prooflike surfaces; really wondering if it's a PL issue)

Canada - 1952 Dollar.jpg

France - .1938. 5 Centimes
    (I really wish this coin had a STAR on the obverse)

France - 1938 5 Centimes.jpg

Israel - 1971 10 Lirot

Israel - 1971 10 Lirot.jpg

Also picked up a huge group (about 700 pieces) of German Notgeld - here are three of my favorites (i.e., the keepers):

Germany (Saxony - Thale am Harz) - 1921 2 Marks
    (What a great cat!)

Germany (Saxony - Thale am Harz) Notgeld - 1921 2 Marks.jpg

Germany (Saxony - Thale am Harz) - 1921 3 Marks
    (I don't know if I've ever seen a bat on a coin before...)

Germany (Saxony - Thale am Harz) Notgeld - 1921 3 Marks.jpg

Germany (Westphalia - Bielefeld) - 1923 1 Goldmark

Germany (Westphalia - Bielefeld) Notgeld - 1923 1 Goldmark.jpg

21. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I made an impulse purchase of these Iceland coins. The 1929 Krona is a better date. IMG_20180819_0001.jpg IMG_20180819_0002.jpg

jj00, Muzyck, Jaelus and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted