World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

ask some dealers at your next coin show what they think of the grade is with edge damage and value.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here's a Italian (Venice) Grosso from the Doge Giovanni Soranzo 1312-1320 that arrived today.
    IMG_20180811_112933.jpg IMG_20180811_112944.jpg

4. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

I felt it was time for a new addition to my Dutch provincial coin collection after multiple Victoria purchases. This is a 1773 6 stuiver coin, colloquially called "scheepjesschelling" or "ship shilling", from the province of Zeeland. This one caught my eye because of the good strike of the ship. Usually there's a few guns and hatches missing on these. Not ideal in combat!

20180813_133856-1600x1600.jpg 20180813_134008-1600x1600.jpg
    Also note the die clash visible to the lower right of the shield (rear windows of the ship), to the lower left of the shield above ORD (waves) and the legend visible around UT. The ship's pennant is visible behind the crown, but it's practically invisible in this picture.

Attached Files:

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love it, beautiful example. Need one myself.

Never seen the type before, very nice.

6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

That is a really impressive coin. If I saw it for sale I would probably just say yes.

7. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Thanks! The seller's photos were lousy, so I am very happy with what I ended up with.

8. Jason Lautzenheiser

Jason Lautzenheiser Active Member

Nice coin....what's going in the date on the 3? Is that just a die crack or is that an overdate?

9. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1630 1/2 taler from Saxony commemorating the 100 year anniversary of Augsburg Confession. 1630-saxony-half-both.jpg

10. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Another one found in the inherited coin box - And another bad pic (I need to get a good lens)

1931 Koningrijk Der Nederlanden 1 cent! I guess this is the key date so a cool find!
    Much better looking in person

Attached Files:

11. Guilder Pincher

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the comments (as well as everyone else!). On closer inspection it's a die crack. I double checked in the Dutch coin dealer association's handbook of provincial coinage and no overdates are known for 1773. They might be out there though, new minor varieties are still turning up in this field.

Jason Lautzenheiser likes this.
  12. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I made an Ebay seller an offer, he came down a nice amount....seems fairly scarce...

2 Reales 1796-horz.jpg

13. coin_nut

1833 East India Company 1 pie and 1835 East India Company 1/12 anna 1833 EIC 1 p obv.JPG 1833 EIC 1 p rev.JPG 1835 EIC 1-12 a obv (2).JPG 1835 EIC 1-12 a rev (2).JPG

Muzyck, MontCollector, Stork and 3 others like this.
  14. Guilder Pincher

And after a brief change of pace, it's Victoria again.. and it's another sixpence! This completes the main types of sixpences for me so the next one will be some other denomination..
    6d00-1600x1600.jpg 6d002-1600x1600.jpg

15. coin_nut

Just arrived this morning, and I am a bit excited! My first wildman coin! 1758 German States Brunswick Luneburg Calenburg 4 marien groschen 1758 GS-BLC 4 mg obv.JPG 1758 GS-BLC 4 mg rev.JPG

16. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

1715 Trier-Erzbistum

3 Petermenger

Obverse: Crowned round arms on a Maltese cross
    Reverse: St. Peter with key and book in clouds, the value below, circle surrounds all, date divided above

Ruler: Karl Josef

Composition: Silver

GerTri171501.jpg

Muzyck, MontCollector, Stork and 4 others like this.
  17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Lucked into a nice panda well below current value at one of my local shops. Little crack on the edge of the capsule but no toning because it’s still in the original plastic pouch as well.

2000 Frosted Ring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I missed this in the box of world cons I have - probably because its so dark colored!!!

1877 British Half Penny - Not great at grading yet but I think its in the VF-XF range!

Attached Files:

19. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

been a long time since I bought any coins. been buying a lot of glass lately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stork, PaddyB, MontCollector and 2 others like this.
  20. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Picked up a bulk lot of World coins. When all said and done each coin cost less than 10 cents.

Here are some of the highlights so far.
    1903China10.jpg
    I'm Pretty sure the date is right on the one above. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1943Ireland.jpg 1944SPhilippines5.jpg 1963GBLP.jpg 1973Greece2.jpg

jj00, Muzyck, Jaelus and 4 others like this.
  21. coin_nut

The Chinese coin does not appear to have a date as such on it. Try looking at numista for 'Kiang Nan 10 cash' and see what you come up with. I think it is fairly rare, good score there.

MontCollector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted