World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

I've been lurking in this thread for a long time (I like looking at pictures of coins!), but I just had to comment on this: Wow - imagine finding that in a £3 jar!

This is an example that was for sale in a Danish online coin shop for DKK 8,950.00 (~$1,400 / ~£1.070), and I'm guessing it sold for that as it is listed as 'Sold out' now.

I hope it brings you a decent amount at the auction :)

[​IMG]

MontCollector, Stork and PaddyB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Wow! If it makes anything like that amount I will be delighted!

4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

One of about thirty coins that arrived today. Still tucked away in it's original Littleton envelope. And no, I did not get it for $1.00. :angelic:

Greenland 25 Ore 1926 obv B 60.jpg
    Greenland 25 Ore 1926 rev B 60.jpg
    greenland envelope 50.jpg

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Yeah, it's ugly and it is hard. Not sure what to use to remove it. The only type of "cleaning" I've done on moderns is acetone. I don't think that will do the trick.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

maybe a wood toothpick with water ? very gently ? I really like the bear side.

Muzyck likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

2018 Slovenia € 2 Euro UNC Uncirculated Coin World Bee Day (Honey) bi-metallic, sellers pics...

slovenia A.jpg
    slovenia B.jpg

I liked the honeycomb side. interesting design. I bought 1 for me and 1 for a friend.

10. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Just picked this up from Civitas. This is there description and photo. It spoke to my desire for odd stuff. The reverse is spectacular, in my opinion.

Brass 10 Centimes 31mm. 10.37g. Phnom Penh Mint.

Local strike from shattered dies.

Obverse: Head left

Reverse: Arms

Lecompte 25 or26

EF Struck circa 1875-1899.

Examination of mint records suggests that the date 1860 represents the accession date of Norodom I and not the date of issue.
    It is likely that the first issues of the series were struck in 1875 and continued to be struck sporadically in both the native Cambodian and European mints until the late 19th century.
    The series has yet to be studied closely enough to allow individual issues to be assigned to the various mints, but it would appear that the pieces struck from very worn dies, such as this example, can be attributed to Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Cam186001.jpg

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Meow Meow Meow cat lovers unite! Turkey 1 lira 2015 UNC Angora Cat Bi-Metallic sellers pics...

cat A.jpg
    cat B.jpg

chrsmat71, Endeavor, Stork and 3 others like this.
  12. mkivtt

mkivtt Well-Known Member

Italy, Papal States. Pius V "Victory over the Turkish Fleet."

Bronze Medal, 1571. I had it graded by NGC and it came back as MS65.

This medal commemorates the Battle of Lepanto, which saved the Mediterranean from centuries of Ottoman naval aggression and effectively ended their forays into the west. Long and interesting read: https://www.crisismagazine.com/2006/lepanto-1571-the-battle-that-saved-europe.

Italy, Papal States. Pius V 'Victory over the Turkish Fleet' bronze Medal 1571 MS65_LF.jpg Italy, Papal States. Pius V 'Victory over the Turkish Fleet' bronze Medal 1571 MS65_lr.jpg

Pickin and Grinin, wcg, jj00 and 12 others like this.
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1938 Netherlands Indies 1/10 gulden and 1942 Netherlands 1 cent. Note the P mint mark. 1938 NI 1-10 g obv.JPG 1938 NI 1-10 g rev.JPG 1942 NL-P 1 c obv.JPG 1942 NL-P 1 c rev.JPG

jj00, chrsmat71, Steve66 and 8 others like this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup:

1867A Hungarian 1 3/4 Ducat - Coronation at Buda of Franz Joseph I
    Montenuovo-2709 (Hungarian Legends)
    0.986 Gold 24mm 6.10g

Four types of coronation ducats were produced for the 1867 Hungarian coronation of Franz Joseph: 1 ducat (Hungarian legends), 1 ducat (Latin legends), 1 3/4 ducat (Hungarian legends) and 1 3/4 ducat (Latin legends). Similarly, the same four ducat types were produced commemorating Empress Elisabeth's coronation. Each of these eight coins were then also produced as jetons in silver and bronze with the planchet sizes made to match the size of the gold planchets.

This is an example of the exceedingly rare larger coronation 1 3/4 ducat with Hungarian legends, which is approximately the same size as a US quarter.

obv.jpg
    rev.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  15. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

One of these finally came my way - the one year type Japanese Yen Dragon with the Emperor Taisho's name on it rather than Meiji's. This was the last year the Yen dragons were produced (大正三年 or 1914). Graded MS 64 by NGC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pickin and Grinin, wcg, jj00 and 15 others like this.
  16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some world coins, Italy & Spain, I picked up for $12 total, not bad I don't think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  17. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Russia 1777 Ekaterina the Great AU58 Half Rouble (Poltina) (0.0191 Ozt.)

1777 Poltina Obv.jpg

1777 Poltina Rev.jpg

Pickin and Grinin, wcg, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  18. 1934 Wreath Crown

Germany 1914-A 1 Mark MS68, conditionally rare, shares the top pop with 10 others

1914 Germany Mark Obv MS68.jpg

1914 Germany Mark Rev MS68.jpg

19. 1934 Wreath Crown

1926 Nepal Mohur, Tribhuvana Bir Bikram, Shah Dynasty MS65

1926 Nepal Mohur MS65 Obv.jpg

1926 Nepal Mohur MS65 Rev.jpg

20. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Picked up this 1852 Bank of Upper Canada token today. My first of what hopefully will become a complete set of these. 1852UpCanhalf.jpg

Stork, jj00, chrsmat71 and 9 others like this.
  21. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

That's a beauty, real nice condition...

Draft saved Draft deleted