World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice find! Never know what you will find.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Excellent score there PaddyB! I notice that NGC and Numista both lack a picture of this coin. Perhaps you could send your pix to them? Also I see the prices quoted, wow. A rarity rating of 100 on Numista also.

PaddyB likes this.
  4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Last week CT member @alurid offered to give away some very nice looking Canada Small Cents he had sitting around. I was the lucky one to reply to him first. I have been collecting Canada Small cents and Canada Nickels for over a year now. These will make a welcome addition.

While he sent me quite a few coins, I only chose 3 of my favorites to post here. This is a good mixture of what he sent.

1st up is a beautifully toned 1950 Canada Small Cent. 1950CSCT.jpg

There were several toned coins in the lot. This one is my favorite.

Next up is my first Canada Small Cent Woody. This one even has a Lamination error on the obverse at about 11:00. 1939CSCWoody.jpg

And finally, there were several Proof Cents in the package as well. This one (and the others not photoed) are my 1st Canada Small cent proofs. 1982CSCPF.jpg

Thanks a lot for these @alurid . They will be cherished in my collection.

I will eventually take photos of the rest. This is all I had time for today.

sonlarson, Seba79, jj00 and 6 others like this.
  5. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Not too much going on the collecting front lately. BUT, did manage to pick up a large want from Heritage's HK sale. The toning is not to everyone's taste (and definitely not the general Japanese taste)...but the in hand look is nicer than what I'd thought it might be from the auction photos. Hard to nail in pictures, especially through a slab.

The deep scale variant of the 1870 (Meiji 3) 5 sen has been terribly elusive for me. Anything halfway decent has been blast white and $$$$ in an overseas auction for the most part.

Dead on the coin looks, well, dead. A little tilt and colors blossom with a nice bit of luster underneath. I'm still working on it. This might be one of those coins that looks good in an animated gif to really show off.

combo.jpg

Theodosius, jj00, longshot and 4 others like this.
  6. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Well I have now submitted pictures to Numista. Not sure I will do NGC - the grade is not great for the serious slab collectors!

7. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Here are a few German States 2/3 thaler pieces that I am just now getting into the collection:

20180717_111722.jpg

sonlarson, Seba79, chrisild and 10 others like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool additions.

9. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I'm kind of German States junkie. Those are all very cool.

10. PaddyB

This was another of coins I picked up at a local auction on Saturday. Nice to see a really clear picture of Charles X of France for a change:
    France QF 1828 1.JPG France QF 1828 2.JPG

Seba79, jj00, Stork and 7 others like this.
  11. PaddyB

A treat for myself this one - filling a long held gap in my sixpence collection. George II young head 1735 Roses and Plumes Sixpence.
    1735 6D R+Pl 2.JPG 1735 6D R+Pl 1.JPG

Seba79, jj00, spirityoda and 6 others like this.
  12. PaddyB

A few of my favourites from the latest auction:
    South Africa 1931 F 2.JPG South Africa 1931 F 1.JPG Ionian 1819 2L 2.JPG Ionian 1819 2L 1.JPG France 1817 F 2.JPG France 1817 F 1.JPG Kwang Tung 20c 1890-1908 2.JPG Kwang Tung 20c 1890-1908 1.JPG

jj00, spirityoda, Steve66 and 7 others like this.
  13. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

PaddyB likes this.
  14. Jason Lautzenheiser

Jason Lautzenheiser Active Member

Had two new ones come in today.

First is a 1934 Canadian 5 cents. Nothing too special here, but I always liked this series. These are the sellers pictures as I just couldn't get a decent image of them at this point.

Canada-1934-5-cents-seller-2.jpg Canada-1934-5-cents-seller-1.jpg

The second coin is a 1956 Finland 200 Markkaa. A little silver for the day. This had some crazy color in the sellers images so it grabbed my eye. In hand, the color isn't there so I think the seller just had some strange lighting or something. These pictures are mine and I really like this design.

Finland-1956-200-Markkaa-2.jpg Finland-1956-200-Markkaa-1.jpg

jj00, chrisild, Nas and 3 others like this.
  15. coin_nut

1903 Great Britain florin, an upgrade which arrived a day or two ago. 1903 GB Florin obv (2).JPG 1903 GB florin rev (2).JPG

sonlarson, Seba79, jj00 and 9 others like this.
  16. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here are a few nice Canada small cents courtesy of @alurid
    I love this type!
    IMG_20180719_194122.jpg IMG_20180719_194049.jpg

jj00, Nas, PaddyB and 4 others like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

18. coin_nut

1887 French Indochina 1 centime (the first year) and 1952 French Somaliland (an area now called Djibouti) 1887 FR-IC-A 1 c obv.JPG 1887 FR-IC-A 1 c rev.JPG 1952 FR-SO 20 c obv.JPG 1952 FR-SO 20 c rev.JPG

Seba79, Nas, PaddyB and 3 others like this.
  19. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Another couple pick ups--relatively common dates, but uncommon looks. combo.jpg

combo.jpg

sonlarson, CLC2010, jj00 and 7 others like this.
  20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I love the reverse of these florins.

21. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

So I last picked up a Hungarian 1 Korona 1913KB over a year ago from a European auction (see my old post that I quoted above). That coin ended up getting "lost" by US customs, but fortunately I was able to locate another example very recently. This one I've already got in hand.

So, let's try this again:

Hungary 1 Korona 1913KB (KM-492)
    AR 0.835, 5g, 23mm x 1.5mm

This is the big key date for the KM-492 type with a reported mintage of only 5,214.

1913.jpg

My last business strike gap in the 1892-1916 Hungarian korona date set is now 1906 (the big key for the KM-484 type), though I also need the very scarce 1894 proof restrike and a few of the variants of the 1896 commemorative presentation case.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Seba79, jj00, Stork and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted