World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A few small coin show purchases IMG_0739.JPG IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0744.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I visited Munich last summer and was pleasantly surprised to find an abundance of coin shops there. Coin collecting appears to be a robust hobby in that part of Germany.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't share my interest and we had a full schedule of other activities planned, so some quick window shopping when we passed the stores was all I had time for. It was enough, however, to pique my interest and I've been investigating coins of the German Empire and the German States ever since then.

The one below arrived earlier this week. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. There are some light scuffs on the obverse fields, which probably account for the 61 grade, but otherwise a fine looking coin.

[​IMG]

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This was has been on my want list for awhile and I finally pulled the trigger. 1885 Switzerland (Bern) 5 francs shooting fest coin. 1885 switzerland 5 francs.jpg

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

1834 Russia 3 Roubles/Poland 20 Zlotych

1834 Poland 3 Roubles Obv.jpg

1834 Poland 3 Roubles Rev.jpg

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

Italy Venice 1400-1413 Michael Steno Ducat MS66

Italy 1400 1413 Michael Steno Ducat Obv MS66.jpg

Italy 1400 1413 Michael Steno Ducat Rev MS66.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  8. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks Mat....sometimes its pays to look at Buy it Now options as well:happy:;)

9. Kenny Sammut

Kenny Sammut Passionate Collector

Here are my latest world coin purchases (Baltimore Whitman Spring Show):

jj00, 1934 Wreath Crown, Nas and 2 others like this.
  10. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Added one for Elephant coin for my daughter's upcoming Birthday. At this rate she will have more Silver bullion coins than I do. I guess I better start looking for some for my son's collection.

Somalia 2018 15th Anniversary Elephant

Somalia 2018 Anniversary Elephant.jpg

Sidenote: Did you know that the Elephant coins of Somalia are minted in Germany? They are issued by the Das Bayerisches Hauptmünzamt Mint, or Bavarian State Mint. The Bavarian Mint has been minting coins since 1158!

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A little ugly, but cheap...

Greenland 5 Kroner 1944 obverse 60pct.jpg
    Greenland 5 Kroner 1944 reverse 60pct.jpg

12. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Another from earlier this week.
    Santo Domingo, 4 Maravedis.
    Charles I and Johanna 1516-1556.

Santa Domingo 4 Maravedis MB 43 Charles I and Johanna less 15 obv.jpg
    Santa Domingo 4 Maravedis MB 43 Charles I and Johanna less 15 rev.jpg

Stork likes this.
  13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here is another 1898 I bought online. I also got one yesterday at the coin show, I'm not sure what it is exactly about these coins that makes me keep picking them up. They're very large, bronze coins with low mintage numbers (1898 is the highest mintage, by a lot at 263,000) and prices really take off at XF and up. IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

14. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

15. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Some of my pick ups from a local auction yesterday:
    Group 210418 1.JPG Group 210418 2.JPG Group 210418 3.JPG Group 210418 4.JPG
    The 1928 Wreath crown is the star, but I am pleased with the others too!

16. Wheels

Wheels Active Member

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

France Napoleon Emperor 2 Francs 1808-I Limoges mint Republic Rev AU55.JPG
    France Napoleon Emperor 2 Francs 1808-I Limoges mint Republic Rev AU55
    France Napoleon Emperor 2 Francs 1808-I Limoges mint Republic Rev AU55 Slab O.JPG
    France Napoleon Emperor 2 Francs 1808-I Limoges mint Republic Rev AU55 Slab R.JPG

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, Paddy.

A slab? Slowly turning, Brian? Nice Napoleon though.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, no, not turning. But do have a few in my moderns, including my Gold. It is hard for me to “acquire” world coins as I have around 2-3 kg of change from around the world...

20. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

21. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

There is one coin I have an absolute weakness for, the Japanese 50 sen with the double hoo bird ('phoenix' though the mythology is quite different, including it is often conceived of as a pair of birds). They can run from blast white to the fabulously toned. Any time I see a chance at an upgrade I think really hard about it, and usually go for it.

This one was sold from Asia at a relatively unexpectedly low price as a BIN on eBay. Pop is 10/1 at MS-66. Under $45/free shipping and eBay bucks made it a no-brainer (even though I had a perfectly respectable 65). All I can guess is that the bit of toning made it less than acceptable to the Asian market. Or, the guy just wanted it sold. Or, maybe there will be an onslaught of higher grades coming. Possibly there are only 8 collectors of these so as one of the top 11, it went cheap. Whatever.

My addiction:
    combo.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted