World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

So I see. I'm sorry but I still think it is not a good likeness of the Queen but each to their own opinion.
    The reverse of the coin I think is a great design.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Of the 4, I like the Pegasus Queen profile best. Something about chopping her off at the neck disturbs me. Canada would be second, only because the crown is missing.

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Found a una peseta 1953 in i nickel roll search. Can't make out the number on the star though

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Also found a 20 pence 1982 in same roll as the peseta

6. Bruce DiLego

Bruce DiLego Member

Here is an older Austrian 1 Florin that seems to be in MS condition. It is 1887 1887 Austria 1 Florin 1.jpg 1887 Austria 1 Florin 2.jpg

7. Bruce DiLego

Bruce DiLego Member

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I popped a proof set the other day. It is the coinage of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. I wanted to photo a coin for one of the Paddy's day threads, but, none seemed to fit.
    Then decided to photo the Coppers instead. I think with a few tweaks of the lighting I should be able to get a shot of the white coins.
    For now the Half IMG_0009.JPG Penny, IMG_0010.JPG
    And the Penny, IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This is the first gold coin I've ever purchased. 2015 Canada 25 cents. I bought it because it was relatively affordable for a gold coin, but boy, is it small. It's only 0.5 grams of gold. I had no idea how much that was, but it isn't much. Still, pretty coin. 2015 canada 25 cents.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, Nas and 3 others like this.
  10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I can not find any info about that gold Canada 25 cent coin. Is it privately issued or minted by the government?

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

12. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

A few recent pickups:

Denmark - 1962 Dag Hammarskjold Medal.jpg Poland - 1980MW Proof 200 Zlotych y110a.jpg Poland - 1980MW Proof 200 Zlotych y110.jpg France - 1919 5 Centimes.jpg Ceylon - 1937 Half Cent.jpg Germany (Federal Republic) - 1965 G Proof 2 Marks.jpg Germany (Rhine Republic - Mulheim a.d. Ruhr) - 1918 Kriegsgeld 50 Pfennig.jpg Great Britain - 1953 1 Shilling (English Shield).jpg Finland - 1964 Risto Ryti Medal.jpg

Jaelus, coin_nut, Nas and 6 others like this.
  13. PaddyB

This one arrived today - an upgrade for my Penny collection:
    1881H D 11+M 1.JPG 1881H D 11+M 2.JPG

jj00, Paddy54, furryfrog02 and 5 others like this.
  14. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Series completed. This is the last of the 1980s Canada Silver Proof Dollar Collection. I save the best for last. Proof Like Specimen

Canada 1980 Dollar Prooflike Specimen Northwest Territories Mintage 539,617
    Canada 1980 Dollar proof Polar Bear.jpg

jj00, onecenter, Nas and 3 others like this.
  15. PaddyB

Some upgrades for my farthings and fractionals today:
    1911 F 1+A 1.JPG 1911 F 1+A 2.JPG 1912 F 2+A 1.JPG 1912 F 2+A 2.JPG 1913 ThdF 1.JPG 1913 ThdF 2.JPG

16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that 1/3 Farthing. I've never seen one of those before.

17. PaddyB

They are rather fun! Although legal tender in the UK they were mainly made for use in Malta, which was a colony in the 19th century. 12 different dates from 1827 to 1913 - the bulk in the 2nd half of the 19th century. They are pretty small - about 6/10ths of an inch or 16mm. They are not the smallest UK coin in circulation - the 1/4 farthing has that accolade - just 4 years made: 1839, 1851,2,3. 3840 of these to the pound!

18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I am going to keep my eye out for one now :)

PaddyB likes this.
  19. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I really need some black paper for a better background. I saw this on sunday and couldn't get it out of my mind. so I got it today.
    [​IMG]

20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Love those old Dutch coins. Lions, ships, riders...

21. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

This one may belong in an "ancients" themed thread, but since for decades I have been a collector of "modern world coins" I consider that my main interest. Ancients are world coins, just older. :angelic:

The thing that often drives a purchase is the history that goes along with the coin. I watched a documentary on Petra last weekend and decided to acquire of coin of the Nabataean Kingdom.

This arrived today. Jugate busts of Aretas IV & Shuqailat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aretas_IV_Philopatris

Nabataean kingdom obverse 11AD less 5 50pct.jpg
    Nabataean kingdom reverse 11AD less 5 50pct.jpg

Petra was the capital of the Nabataean Kingdom.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/326

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted