World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Old GB Gold.....
    Edward III Quarter Noble

Edward III Qtr Noble Obv.jpg Edward III Qtr Noble Rev.jpg

wcg, jj00, sonlarson and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@jackrabb1t - forgot to praise yours as well. I have a long love of Irish coins and that 1928 proof set is awesome. I completed the entire Irish predecimal series 14 or 15 years ago (sans 1943 florin), but never had any early Irish Free State proofs.

It's a toss up for me over whether I like your penny or your florin the most. They're all great, of course.

Despite my past history with Irish, I was lacking any for my present Eclectic Box collection, which is why I just picked up that July 1690 gunmoney halfcrown. That's a temporary image- it should look better after it gets the TrueView treatment at PCGS.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

That's very nice. It seems like a bunch of Greenland coins are on the market on eBay right now. The only regular (non-mining token) issue that I need is the 1964 1 krone. One seller a few days ago had three of them listed at auction, and the same person outbid me on all three! What does he need them all for?

5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Been doing some upgrading to my British Bronze/Copper coins and added these two recently:
    1843 F 1e+A 1.JPG 1843 F 1e+A 2.JPG
    1843 Farthing but with the Obverse having unbarred As in the Gratia, the second A being a broken die.
    1861 F 2+Be 1.JPG 1861 F 2+Be 2.JPG
    !861 Farthing but unusual die combination Obverse 2 with wide date reverse Be.

jj00, sonlarson, coin_nut and 5 others like this.
  6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup for my Hungarian Artex Restrikes set:

Hungary 1892KB (UP) 20 Korona
    KM-486 Artex Restrike (1967)
    Mintage of 310 (RRR)
    AU 0.900, 6.775g, 21mm x 1.4mm

This is one of my favorite Franz Joseph gold types. Despite having a mintage slightly higher than most of the small gold restrikes (which were around 250 pieces), these restrikes are much scarcer. This restrike is of the first year of the type, and was the only restrike produced of KM-486.

sm_20k.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Got this for under $10.00. Nice condition for this particular coin. Most of the ones I have seen are badly worn, have bad planchets or are poorly struck.

North Vietnam 2 Dong 1946 obverse less 5 50pct.jpg
    North Vietnam 2 Dong 1946 reverse less 5 50pct.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    spirityoda, sonlarson, Nas and 4 others like this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

9. Neil UK

Neil UK Member

Just received my George I half crown.
    Very happy to ALMOST have this section of my 1660-1970 type set fully collected.
    Just need a nice and reasonably affordable James II...

Steve66, Nathan401, Nas and 3 others like this.
  10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1787 Utrecht 2 stuiver, came a couple days ago 1787 U 2 s obv.JPG 1787 U 2 s rev.JPG

jj00, spirityoda, sonlarson and 4 others like this.
  11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Went to my favorite LCS recently and got to dig through an unorganized collection the dealer had recently bought. Along with about 25 other nice world silvers and base metal coins for $15, I got the following:

coins_20180316_1.jpg
    coins_20180316_2.jpg
    Didn't know its exact nature until I got it home and looked it up, but this is now my best 'accidental' cherrypick so far. It's a proof 1906 Philippines 20 centavo with a mintage of 500.

I'm currently considering what to do with it. I've never had anything graded by a TPG, but would consider it for this one, though I do worry about what appears to be a spot of verdigris on the obverse.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    jj00, sonlarson, Steve66 and 4 others like this.
  12. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Here are the other silvers I mentioned in the above post:

coins_20180316_3.jpg
    coins_20180316_4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    jj00, spirityoda, sonlarson and 6 others like this.
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Haven't got a world modern in awhile and since I didn't have this design, decided to add it finally to my Franch coinage.

[​IMG]

jj00, spirityoda, sonlarson and 9 others like this.
  14. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Picked these up today, paid melt.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

jj00, spirityoda, sonlarson and 6 others like this.
  15. PaddyB

I got this one today as an upgrade:
    1882H F 7+F 1.JPG 1882H F 7+F 2.JPG

jj00, spirityoda, Nas and 5 others like this.
  16. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I was looking for some lion daalders this weekend. didn't find too many. very happy with this gulden
    [​IMG]

jj00, Stork, chrisild and 4 others like this.
  17. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Very, Very Nice. I am envious! I passed on a 1928 mint set for $200 because it didn't look right. The grade on the coins didn't match. I think it was put together from circulation. But a proof set! that is nice!

18. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Still adding to my Silver bullion collection. Seems like every time I look, another series is beginning. British Virgin Islands started the Pegasus series last year, this is the 2nd in the series. The horse looks funny in the photo because it looks funny in hand. The finish is almost liquid looking. I tried 3 different light setting, and this was the best. It really shows off the reverse frosted finish. The Maple Leaf is the 30th anniversary issue. I also have a 1988 issue. Queens Beast 2 oz. Clarence the Bull (Black Bull of Clarence) was just released. I had it on pre-order for over a month. It is 5th in a series of 10. The Koala is number 11, the series started in 2007. I have them all. What really gripes me is when a series starts and the ends too soon. An example is the Britannias with the Zodiac emblem on the edge. I got the Horse and the Snake privy. The next to be issued was supposed to be a goat. Never saw it. Note how all of the Queen's effigies are different.

British Virgin Islands 2018 Pegasus Mintage 50,000
    British Virgin Islands 2018 Prgasus.jpg

Canada 2018 30th Anniversary Maple Leaf Mintage 250,000
    Canada 2018 30th Ano Maple Leaf.jpg

Great Britain 2018 Queens Beast, Black Bull of Clarence Mintage NA
    Great Britain 2018 Queens Beast Bull.jpg

Australia 2018 Koala Mintage 300,000
    Australia 2018 Koala.jpg

jj00, Stork, chrisild and 4 others like this.
  19. PaddyB

I think if I were the Queen I would have veto'ed that Canadian one!
    Nice coins though.

20. PaddyB

Picked this one up a couple of days ago:
    1856 F 3+Ba 1.JPG 1856 F 3+Ba 2.JPG
    1856 Farthing Obverse 3, Reverse Ba - the variation being the missing stalk to the Shamrock in the exergue known as "detached shamrock". Maybe the mint knew something the rest of Britain didn't!
    Notice also the split flan running from DEI to the WW and then across through the front of the neck to the edge.

jj00, Nas, Stork and 3 others like this.
  21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Maybe this is also a question of lighting. That portrait by Susanna Blunt has been the "default effigy" on Canadian coins in the past 15 years. Here is another image of that coin.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted