World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The dark side is really looking seductive. I have to admit that the old 8 Reales have my interest peaked, and your new Groat is tantalizing... I'm really going to have to look at everything this coming Friday at the PNNA. :)

Nathan401 and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well I certainly hope so!! I keep one foot planted firmly in each World. Wait until you see my latest acquisition. ;) It was a Pegasi Auction win, I haven't received it yet.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I don't buy much in terms of World Coins. But here is one I could not pass up for melt.

1978-German-5-Mark-Balthasar-Neuman.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 5 others like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have never seen 1 that nice a grade. wow. you might convert me to the dark side. muhahahaaaaa....

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

And now you understand why I must didn't hand the binder back and hit the road!
    I just couldn't pass on this specimen.

Nathan401 and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Paddy54- if one is to be seduced by the Dark Side, you did it right. That's a pretty seductive coin.

We know your weaknesses.

Think that binder lyin' there was a coincidence?

Think again! ;)

[​IMG]

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Can't remember if I've posted this one before.....
    1821 Secundo Crown MS62, I thought the obverse was particularly sharp.

1821 Secundo Crown Obv.jpg 1821 Secundo Crown Rev.jpg

wcg, jj00, sonlarson and 13 others like this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

Australia 1893 S (Sydney mint) half sovereign.......not an easy coin to find

Australia 1893 S Half Sov Obv.jpg Australia 1893 S Half Sov Rev.jpg

11. jackrabb1t

jackrabb1t Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a complete 1928 Ireland proof set in old ANACS holders. I cracked the coins out and submitted them to PCGS. Just got them back today. Here's how the grades played out:

Farthing: ANACS PF-63 RD -> PCGS PR-65 RD
    Half Penny: ANACS PF-65 RD -> PCGS PR-65 RD
    Penny: ANACS PF-65 RD -> PCGS PR-65 RD
    Threepence: ANACS PF-64 -> PCGS PR-65
    Sixpence: ANACS PF-66 -> PCGS PR-65
    Shilling: ANACS PF-66 -> PCGS PR-65
    Florin: ANACS PF-64 -> PCGS PR-65
    Half Crown: ANACS PF-64 -> PCGS PR-66+

All of the coins are original 1928 proof strikings, not 1961 restrikes. Finding the farthing/half penny/penny with this much of the original red color is very difficult. Also, the half crown is the only original strike 1928 proof to be assigned a grade above 66 at either PCGS or NGC. NGC has graded one at 67, but it's a restrike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Had one of my shopping trips to day and picked up these in Silver:
    Silver group 120218 1.JPG Silver group 120218 2.JPG

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 8 others like this.
  13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

... and also these in copper/bronze:
    Copper group 120218 1.JPG Copper group 120218 2.JPG

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 6 others like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well I sort of knew if I were going to get any response on this purchase it would definitely from you lol......It may of been a set up as it was dead center of the page in a flip...and I truly did not look at anything else on the page ...#1 I was done , Broke ,kaput.... well I still had $43 but still... the coin spoke and Keith is a great guy he took my $40 and sad write down the balance on my card....between now and next year I know you'll pay me...I was like OMG:wideyed: and I asked him just hold the coin until we can square up...he's like no I saw the look in your eyes....love at first sight it yours pay me when you can what ever you can for the amount agreed.
    Which BTW was unbelievable as when I did my homework I was seeing these is much worst shape for hundreds more... !!! The coin is swell to own I really love it...but what really made my day was the trust Keith had in me ....that my friend was the icing on the cake. It speaks volumes ...

Nathan401 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A fantastic batch of coins, Paddy!:wideyed:

PaddyB likes this.
  16. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

17. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Another Japanese aluminum coin found its way into my mailbox:
    combo.jpg

Plus this one a little while ago--the coin itself is nice enough, but this looks to be a sample slab for a Japanese coin store in Tokyo, World Coins Japan (changed the photo orientation up to make the slab label more visible):
    combo.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 4 others like this.
  18. 1934 Wreath Crown

Don't know about proof versions but apparently they made 2 coins in gold........I'm told one is in the Central Bank's museum in Rabat....here's what I was told is the second known piece (MS65)

1951 Morocco 50 Fr Obv.jpg 1951 Morocco 50 Fr Rev.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 6 others like this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Here's my new 1922 Greenland 2 kroner. Apparently these were issued for miners in Greenland. Only 4000+ minted. 1922 greenland 2 kroner.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, semibovinian and 8 others like this.
  20. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

1) That’s a gorgeous coin.

2) I think mine just must have been struck with new dies...fields are definitely prooflike. Not home now, but I recall it not seeming heavy enough or looking the same as a gold piece would be, not that it stood a large chance of that anyway. So, most likely, new dies IMO.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Belated comment @Hiddendragon- I've been enjoying those Greenland polar bears you've been posting. That last 2-kroner type is really neat and had not previously been on my radar.

This PCGS MS66 1926 50-øre piece was on my short list of cointenders in my most recent round of purchases for the Eclectic Box collection. I ended up going with the other coins in my last post instead, but I'm still keeping an eye on this one for next time, maybe! :)

83883416_Large.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted