World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. NCnovice

NCnovice Active Member

spirityoda and Biurs92 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Biurs92

Biurs92 Member

Thank you!

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

my 2004 Krause world coin catalog...
    Japan, year 18(1885), 20 Sen denomination, Y#24, .800 silver, weight-5.3900g. or .1383oz. mintage-4,205723 , Ruler:Mutsuhito (Meiji).
    grade/value
    VF-$10.00 XF-$15.00 UNC-$50.00
    I am sure the values are higher now. cool coin.

CircCam likes this.
  5. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

I've been checking out some of the coins from The Ukraine. I really like a lot of them. I just picked this one up,and plan to get some others.You don't see people smiling on too many coins! Sellers photo. Sorochynsky Fair. 2005ukraine.jpg 2005ukrainecoinobv.jpg
    Country Ukraine
    Type Non circulating coin
    Year 2005
    Value 5 Hryven
    5 UAH = 0.17 USD
    Metal Copper-nickel-zinc
    Weight 16.54 g
    Diameter 35 mm
    Shape Round
    Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
    References KM# 368

Chiefbullsit, Nas, Stork and 4 others like this.
  6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Oh no! This is a bronzie...

7. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Awesome! I'm jealous.

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I just got lucky, as we rarely will when we come upon coins like this. I bought it from Julian Leidmann at eBay. It was in this old-school "coin set," along with a 1970 Bronze Five-Won and a 1970 One-Won.
    asdr43wt34.jpg

Muzyck, Chiefbullsit, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

It's new turtle Tuesday! 2006 Armenia 100 dram. The discoloration on the sides is just on the scan. 2006 armenia 100 dram.jpg

Muzyck, jj00, old49er and 4 others like this.
  10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Surely that's a tortoise, not a turtle? Or do you use the same word for both land and water based in the US?

11. Hiddendragon

I think there's a gray area because the ones that live near water but also go on land are turtles, but the ones on land only are tortoises. This one does look like a tortoise, but just like how Americans call "bison" buffalo, for the purposes of this I lump them all together. And it should be noted that in Spanish, the word "tortuga" refers to both types.

spirityoda, Kentucky and PaddyB like this.
  12. PaddyB

I have been out picking up "job lots" again, and here are some of the best from the latest group. (I paid around scrap value for the silver content in this lot.) I think there is a major find here - what do you think?
    Group 240118 1.JPG Group 240118 2.JPG

13. Hiddendragon

Oh yeah, that Australian florin is big money. Nice buy.

spirityoda, PaddyB and Mr. Flute like this.
  14. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

And the 1895 SA shilling is a good buy too.

PaddyB likes this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sweet haul, Paddy.

PaddyB likes this.
  16. PaddyB

Now the trickier question - I will probably sell on the Australia Florin as it is outside my collecting area. To clean or not too clean? (I usually don't, but getting rid of those black areas would make it much more appealing... or maybe not?)

17. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I'd rather buy it unmessed, if I were buying that is. Not my area, but that is one of those 'would never be unhappy to have one' coins.

PaddyB likes this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

How would you clean it? Doesn't look like acetone would do much good.

It is unatttactive though.

19. PaddyB

That of course would be the next question! Acetone certainly wont shift it. (In fact I think Acetone is over-rated - it may move grease but not much else.) Possibly silver dip - but that leaves the coin very flat and grey. I have had success with less valuable coins using neat Ammonia or Formic acid (kettle descaler) on a cotton bud on selected areas, but I am not sure I would want to risk those on such a valuable coin!
    So many choices...

20. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Leave it as is. You're way ahead, don't risk it. Just sell it as it is and fold that money back into your collecting area.

PaddyB and spirityoda like this.
  21. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

It would take too long of a dip to remove the black. The rest of the coin would be ruined. I would leave it alone. Nice batch of coins.

PaddyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted