World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

Here is my last new pick up. I'm still confused on why i bought it with a details grade, but I paid very little for it. finland1.jpg finland2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

Here are two i just paid for today. one I have questions about, but will post seperately about that. Oman 1381 A.H. 1/2 Rial silver. A simple design, but I like it. And second, a Philippines 1970 1 Piso, Silver?? paid a bit under $15 for both. muscatoman.jpg philippine1.jpg

4. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Some fun newps out of NYINC. I've been saving my coin funds for awhile for the show and it was a relief to get to spend it.

A non-exhaustive sampling:

combo.jpg
    An 1870/M3 20 sen (shallow scale variety). MUCH nicer than my previous example.

combo.jpg
    A very debased Ansei era chogin (1859~1865). IIRC <20% silver at this point.

combo.jpg
    I've been wanting one of these for awhile. I'm not a collector of Italy (well a few type pieces) or Italian States, or Napoleon but this one has always appealed to me. Give the female allegory in front a bit of wear and she looks quite pregnant. No wear, not as much. Too much wear, hard to see. This was just the look I'd be wanting and found it reasonably priced to boot.

I bought things ranging from a $5 cash coin, a modern 500 yen commemorative (also $5 and sitting in the case of guy specializing in Ireland), one ancient, a few more Japanese (including another chogin, a 5 sen variety, a 10 sen date I didn't have at a reasonable price), plus one nice budget buster Albanian which meant leaving another interesting ancient and a nice 1 yen on the table.

Sadly, did NOT purchase the Yap stone. It was totally cool and they let me touch it at the auction preview :D. The auction previews were a great chance to see and hold some nice coins!

A great show readily accessible by train. Great cheesecake and bagels. A great opportunity to pick the brains of a few dealers on some issues. And, best of all, a great chance to meet fellow collectors and internet friends.

mackat, Muzyck, Chiefbullsit and 12 others like this.
  5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup for my Hungarian type set (1848-1956):

Austria Ducat 1864E (Hungarian Mint GYF)
    NGC MS62

KM-2264 (1860-1865)
    Gold 0.986, 3.49g, 21mm
    Mintage: 364,286

While classified as an Austrian coin by Krause, this is also a Hungarian coin (and a Transylvanian coin), and is considered to be a Hungarian coin by Hungarian catalogs. During the Austrian Occupation of 1849-1867, Hungarian mints produced Austrian types, with the mint marks changed to conform to the Austrian system. Mint E from this period is the Hungarian mint GYF (Gyulafehérvár), also of Transylvania. This type is one of four trade ducat types from this period.

obv.jpg
    rev.jpg

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

The Piso has the look of the Nickel version, to me anyway. Nice coin.

7. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

These two arrived in the post today. Spain (Mexico mint) 8 reales 1798 and British Trade Dollar 1929:
    Spain 1798 8R 1.JPG Spain 1798 8R 2.JPG Trade Dollar 1929 1.JPG Trade Dollar 1929 2.JPG

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, Paddy.

9. NCnovice

NCnovice Active Member

PaddyB likes this.
  10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This one showed up yesterday 2009 CZ 50 k obv.JPG 2009 CZ 50 k rev.JPG

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I got a bunch of coins in the past few days. Here is an Argentina 10 centavos, Portugal 50 centavos, Angola 1 macuta and Austria 50 shillings. It's too bad one side of the Austrian proof coin doesn't look too hot. Looks worse in pictures than in hand though. 1882 argentina 10 centavos.jpg 1916 portugal 50 centavos.jpg 1927 angola 1 macuta.jpg 1970 austria 50 shillings.jpg

Muzyck, jj00, spirityoda and 9 others like this.
  12. Hiddendragon

Here are some animal coins I added to my collection. Tanzania 25 shillings, Turks and Caicos 1 crown and Cyprus 1 pound, which was surprisingly expensive. 1974 tanzania 25 shillings.jpg 1988 turks and caicos 1 crown.jpg 1997 cyprus 1 pound.jpg

Muzyck, jj00, spirityoda and 8 others like this.
  13. NCnovice

NCnovice Active Member

Really like the Austrian coin, they make some beautiful coins.

Hiddendragon and Stork like this.
  14. sonlarson

A few new additions to the Ireland type set
    Ireland 1939 3 Pence xf.jpg Ireland 1939 6 Pence xf.jpg Ireland 1939 Florin xf.jpg Ireland 1939 Shilling XF.jpg

15. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to @lordmarcovan for including this in his December giveaway!

Muzyck, jj00, Chiefbullsit and 10 others like this.
  16. Hiddendragon

17. sonlarson

Yes, I did. Which is why I didn't hesitate to pay $40 for it. The coin still has mint luster.

spirityoda and Hiddendragon like this.
  18. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

Austria - 5 Euro 2015
    20180111_143859-1.jpg 20180111_143920-1.jpg

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Your photo of it is far better than mine was! :)

20. lordmarcovan

Hey, do you use the Dansco albums for that? I thought they were long out of print (and may be), but I notice Wizard Coin Supply has 'em, and for a good price.

#7371: Farthing, Halfpenny, Penny
    #7372: Threepence, Sixpence, Shilling
    #7373: Florin, Halfcrown (and also the 1966 Easter Rising commemorative 10s piece)

I completed all three of those albums some time around 2004. It was fun. By completing them, I had not only a complete type set of Irish predecimal coins, but also a complete date set. They cover everything from 1928-69! As I remember, they put a "plug" in the album to make the 1943 florin (approx. 35 known) optional. I had the 1943 halfcrown (approx. 500 known), and all the rest.

Just a heads-up to anyone who collects Irish coins. Those albums would be a nice grab, if they're really in stock at those prices. I am tempted to give them another go, myself.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Theodosius likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Hmm. It appears I forgot to post 2018 LordM Newp #1 to this thread.

Ordered it from a dealer in Belgium. It's not here just yet. Soon, maybe.

India, Mysore. Tipu Sultan. AV Fanam. Patan Mint, AH1200

[​IMG]

Reign
    Tipu Sultan (1782-1799)
    Denomination AV Fanam
    Date Struck AH1200 (1786)
    Mint India, Independent Kingdom of Mysore, Patan.
    Weight 0.30 g
    Diameter 6 mm
    Reference Mitchiner 984; KM#128.1
    Grade XF

Muzyck, coin_nut, jj00 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted