World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

"Scheide munze" isn't a state. "munze" I think means money or something similar. I think these are from Prussia.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

360 of these make a thaler, well about the equal to a silver dollar of the same period. "A" note's minted in Berlin.

4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Looks like you hit the nail on the head, thanks. Here is a link:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10405.html

5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

First of 3 coins in a commemorative box, given to me by @lordmarcovan.

S$1 1987 #01 full 11.gif

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

616.1: normal coin
    616.2: serif top C
    616.3: thick C
    616.4: DANKSE instead of DANSKE
    616.5: DANAKE
    616.6: DNASKE
    616.7: M.K instead of K.M.
    616.8: 1779 instead of 1771

Galen59 likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The animation on that Soviet rouble really makes the rays beneath the globe "pop".

RonSanderson likes this.
  8. RonSanderson

S$1 1987 #02 full 01.gif

9. richfo3

richfo3 Member

I have had some fortunate luck with coins recently. Some even lifted from fleabay.
    1837 B/RRITANNIAR Silver sixpence handful known to exist.
    1947 (B) 1/2 Anna Even more rare than the prooflike restrikes.
    1882-H Canadian One Cent with Single serif N's . I know of the 1881 single serif but not for 1882?
    1837BRRITANNIARobv-horz.jpg 1947bobv-horz.jpg 1882ho-horz.jpg

10. RonSanderson

The third coin of the three sent to me by @lordmarcovan. Tolstoy looks a bit forbidding with all that hair. Perhaps he is smiling underneath it all. The reverse is accented with a nice blue toning in the center of the design.

S$1 1987 #03 full 01.gif

11. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

I think that one might've come out looking the best of the three.

PS- as to Tolstoy and his expression, he looks very stern and unamused, as any self-respecting 19th century Russian should. Who'd want to see him sticking his tongue out and being silly, like Einstein in that famous photo? :p

LaCointessa likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Hey, Cointessa. That's probably not coincidental. Though he looks more soldierly than saintly in the coin portrayals of him slaying the dragon, that's Saint George.

It is in his guise as the patron saint of England that we most often see him on coins, though he's a very old motif and is not exclusively revered by the British.

Funny how you'd note the similarity between that design and the old Roman one of the soldier spearing a fallen foe. That's pretty observant. I don't know why, but for some reason, that similarity never really dawned on me until just now. It is almost certainly no coincidence. In a similar historical echo, the Seated Britannia one sees on old British coins (herself the inspiration for our US Seated Liberties) was first seen on a Roman coin.

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obverse: veiled old head of Queen Victoria left.
    Reverse: Pistrucci's Greco-Romanized rendition of Saint George slaying the Dragon: St. George right, naked except for cape, on back of rearing horse, wielding gladius-style short sword to strike at dragon below.

KM 784, .917 gold/.1177 oz. 3.99 g. Mintage: 2,037,999. PCGS MS64, with Terner pedigree noted on label. Cert. #90089936. Ex-Dimitri Gotzamanis, Athens, Greece.

(*Note that while this is the "newest acquisitons" thread, the coin above happens to be one of my earliest acquisitions presently held in The Eclectic Box. I've had it for 14 or so years, which is practically an eternity in the life cycle of my collections.)

PS- @LaCointessa - if you like the St. George motif on those Canadian tokens of the 1850s, you should be aware that they are for the most part extremely affordable. Check them out on eBay, etc, if you want one. If I had one handy (I often do), I'd send you one, but at the moment the only one I have was made into a love token and is destined for my "Holey Coin Hat".

PPS- since you're obviously artistic and into coins, perhaps I should shove you down the slippery slope into sharing my enthusiasm for love tokens. I think they'd be a good fit for you. ;)

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nothing special or that would compete with LM's beautiful half sovereign, but two farthings entering my (slowly) growing UK collection

S3394.jpg
    Great Britain, farthing - 1674

S3782.jpg
    UK, farthing - 1806

Q

15. RonSanderson

On the first of the three, I like the light that shifts from one side of the obelisk to the other, and plays across the landscape as though clouds are moving past. The second coin has very nice individual portraits of each figure; they are noticeably different from each other. On the other hand, there is no arguing with a glowering Tolstoy whose eyes follow you throughout his movement!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

If it is any consolation, your Charles II farthing is better than the one I had in my old British monarch type set back in the early 1990s.

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It is, indeed !

:) Q

18. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

A couple more which arrived yesterday, additions to my growing collection of wartime zinc coins 1943 FR 10 c obv.JPG 1943 FR 10 c rev.JPG 1945 DE 5 o obv.JPG 1945 DE 5 o rev.JPG

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's a nice BIG 1761 ecu, 40 mm and 29 g of cool coin. Worn but attractive. I recently purchased this from a forum member (thanks @John Anthony )

100_0268.JPG

I attempted to shoot a little vid on my cell phone, it came out ok but I still need to practice. It's 720HD and give you a pretty good idea of the size of the coin (and I realize now that I need to cut my fingernails!). I went outside to shoot the coin in sunlight. Soundtrack by local birds.

Anyone know what the dog signifies on the obverse below the bust of Louis XV? I thought it may be a mint mark, but that's the "R" on the reverse (Orleans mint).

20. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

The dog running right is the engraver's privy mark. In this case Gabriel Porcher des Rolands

LaCointessa, chrsmat71 and coin_nut like this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Cool video, Chris! The birds chirping in the background give it nice ambience. :pigeon:

chrsmat71 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted