World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I recently bought this 1966 100 pesetas from Spain. Coins with dictators are always somewhat interesting, I think. Plus, I really like the coat of arms on the reverse:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

1890 25 centavos from Costa Rica. Minted by the Heaton Mint in Birmingham, England:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Correction: "Aztec" calendar.

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

1936 Penny. Nice Uncirculated. Very excited to have this.
    s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

6. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

Recent silver purchases
    10 Rufiyaa - 1979 Maldives
    3,000 .ex

20170906_160651-1.jpg 20170906_160333-1.jpg

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I just bought this 2nd Cook Islands proof set mainly for the 2 dollar triangle 3 sided coin. This 2nd set has an even better deeper cameo proof look then my first set. Someday I will get the 2 dollar coin graded PCGS. these proof sets are scarce. I am very happy with this set... sellers pics...

coo Ilsnads proof set 2.jpg
    Cool Oslands proof set B.jpg

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

That Turks and Calico has been on my list for a long time. I don't know what I am waiting for.

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I like the triangle coin and the turtle coin.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Today I had the pleasure of going to the Long Beach Expo. The first time I went was in February, and I greatly enjoyed it. I missed the one in June, but I was looking forward to this one. Here are my finds! :)

1. 1889 Brazil Republic 1000 réis - this one I was actively looking for as it is especially hard to find. The 500 réis that I acquired a few weeks ago is relatively common, but the 1000 réis is certainly not. There is not one example on eBay (not even an overpriced one). The only places that I had seen any reasonably priced ones were on Brazilian coin shop websites, and I’m not sure if they would even ship to the US. I was convinced that there had to be at least one at the Expo, and I was determined to find it. I must have asked at least 10 dealers if they had one before I spotted this one in a case. It’s not the highest grade; somewhere around mid AU to low UNC to my inexperienced eyes, but I am very happy to have found it: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2. 1934-(S) Colombia 50 centavos - As I was looking at the one above, this one in the same case caught my eye. I had previously seen a more expensive one, but this one was priced very reasonably. It is now among the most eye-appealing coins that I own; it truly looks like it just left the mint yesterday. The amount of luster that it has is just incredible! The obverse has a few small contact marks, but the reverse is almost free of them. I would grade the obverse MS-64 and the reverse MS-66. This was the only coin of this design to be struck at the San Francisco Mint; the previous years were struck at Philadelphia. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    3. 1965 Democratic Republic of the Congo 10 francs - I usually collect silver, and this is an aluminum coin, but I just had to buy it because of the unique lion on the obverse. A very pretty coin! [​IMG][​IMG]

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Sarawak, One Cent, 1891 H, KM-6,
    DSC06594.JPG DSC06595.JPG
    I really like the simple design of this coin.

12. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I would love to attend the long beach show. the Santa Clara show is next weekend. it was overpriced and slightly disappointing last time

Theodosius and mackat like this.
  13. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

I'd love to get to a show. Back in the 80s it seems there were many shows.

14. Hiddendragon

Today I received this 1991 Egypt 5 pounds zoo coin, as well as a set of the first coins from the new country of South Sudan. 1991 egypt 5 pounds.jpg 2015 south sudan 1 pound.jpg 2015 south sudan 2 pounds.jpg 2015 south sudan 10 piasters.jpg 2015 south sudan 20 piasters.jpg 2015 south sudan 50 piasters.jpg

jj00, Stork, Nas and 5 others like this.
  15. mkivtt

mkivtt Well-Known Member

Hungary - Joseph II & Maria Theresa Taler 1782-BX MS64 PCGS
    Hungary - Joseph II and Maria Theresa Taler 1782 MS65 PCGS_2.jpg Hungary - Joseph II and Maria Theresa Taler 1782 MS65 PCGS_f.jpg

jj00, Stork, dirty_brian and 13 others like this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

spirityoda and mkivtt like this.
  17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Mexico - 1951 20 Centavos

Mexico - 1951 20 Centavos.jpg

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

spirityoda likes this.
  19. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Picked up 3 Libertads today from a visitor to the monthly coin meeting.
    8 others he had stuck to a magnet :wideyed:
    Boy did that raise some eyebrows as they all looked pretty good and no one else thought to question them :D
    1899 Go R.S.
    1902 Mo A.M.
    1908 Mo G.V.

A couple questions to the Libertad experts here on the site.
    First they all check out good with the weight and diameter, the 1908 is slightly larger in diameter (10 thousands of an inch) I really need a metric caliper :D
    How do I tell if the 1902 is a 1902/1?
    The ONE on ebay graded by NGC looks to me like a 1902.
    libertads front.jpg
    libertads reverse.jpg
    libertads side view.jpg
    The middle coin is the 1902 and just a hair thicker then the other 2.

Stork, Nas, sonlarson and 3 others like this.
  20. Hiddendragon

Nice coin but what's that red stuff on it?

21. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That is the color of the coin. Some blues, some reds, looks like some wear unfortunately but at least long ago - time for the strange color to develop.

Draft saved Draft deleted