World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Guatemala.
    Half real 1880, silver.835
    27.jpg 28.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Finally finished off my Newfoundland Fifty Cent year set with this coin, a 1870 Newfoundland Fifty Cent (VF30)

1870 Newfoundland Fifty Cent VF30 -tile.jpg

4. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

I might as well crawl out of the woodwork and show a recent purchase as a first post :).
    Dutch Republic, province of Utrecht, 10 stuivers (=one half guilder), 1758 over 1757.
    X St.jpg
    The light amount of cleaning and wear are pretty unusual for an 18th-century Dutch coin, so after three weeks of telling myself I could not justify spending even more I succumbed when I saw it was still available. But that will probably sound familiar to most people here ;)

GP

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice.

Also nice coins, SM & jj00

6. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat!

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

found your coin in my 2002 18th century World coin catalog
    Netherlands/Utrecht. is it KM#110 or KM#110a ? what is the weight of your coin in grams ?

8. Guilder Pincher

I had to check to be honest, but this is KM#110. KM#110a is the off-metal one in gold which is well beyond my budget ;). Weight is 5.13 grams against a nominal weight of 5.3 grams. Quite light but, going by a cursory check of reputable dealers, not impossibly so. Thanks for the replies and likes everyone!

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

oh ok your are right on the other being in gold. dohhhh my bad. I am not seeing the over date variety in my 2002 Krause catalog. is it listed in the more current updated catalogs ? and is your coin AU or MS grade ? sorry for so many questions. when I look peoples coins up (for fun) I need/want to know more info about peoples world coins.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Just won these three. Have not received them yet so here are the PCGS images.
    All are graded MS66.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Guilder Pincher

The overdate has since been added, it's in the 2013 edition. I bought the coin ungraded and personally I'd say it's about XF details (but I am by no means an expert ;)). The relief is so high though that much of the lower areas look closer to AU. I'm pretty sure it never circulated in the literal sense though, there are very few dings.
    X St. 2.jpg

spirityoda and jello like this.
  12. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Send clear head on pics, not upclose of front and back, Ill help you determine grade.

13. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

these coins have seen a lot of fingers and few sharp tools. I always loved the Greece coin and I finally have it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Bena

Bena Member

My newest Azerbaijan silver coin - 50 manat 1996 Azerb.50M.Fuzuli.1996.jpg
    Azerb.50M.Fuzuli.1996.Rv.jpg

15. Bena

Bena Member

... and 8 reales 1821 Guatemala.8Reales.1821.jpg
    Guatemala.8Reales.1821.Rv.jpg

16. Guilder Pincher

This just in:

Screenshot_2017-08-02-14-38-42.png Screenshot_2017-08-02-14-38-58.png

A "muntmeesterpenning" or "mint master's token" struck by the Dutch province of Utrecht in 1758. There is an interesting bit of history behind these. As I understand it, these tokens were struck as a private venture by the mint masters of a number of Dutch provincial mints starting in 1756. They were apparently popular among the somewhat better off as new year's gifts. However, since they contained a quarter guilder's worth of silver, these tokens started showing up in circulation as quarter guilder coins. This was probably helped by the fact that, aside from the lack of denomination, they look exactly like regular guilder coins of their day. Further minting was prohibited by the government in 1759 since no law provided for the existence of a coin of this denomination. Having thought about it a bit, I'm sure the decision was also made on the grounds that their production had not been subject to the regulations for minting official coinage and no percentage of the proceeds had been handed over to the treasury.
    These tokens/de facto coins are very affordable today and can be easily found in medium to high grades. Evidently many must have been kept as originally intended :). I'll try and find the Krause number tonight :D
    Screenshot_2017-08-02-14-37-24.png Screenshot_2017-08-02-14-36-57.png

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^Very nice, GP.

Guilder Pincher likes this.
  18. Guilder Pincher

The token is KM#113 :)

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

These arrived today. I was very disappointed to see the name of the dealer emblazoned on the holders very prominently. No way to remove it because they are in a secure holder. Obviously he sent them in himself and had this done. I have never like the idea of free advertising on the items I use (I don't where clothese with logos) and don't care for it here either.

Theodosius and SorenCoins like this.
  20. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Can you show a picture of the holder (and/or dealer)? Is it a sticker or worse? Sounds super annoying!

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

No, it is not a sticker. It is an integral part of the holder. It is not on the surface (I would be able to feel it) but you can see from the picture that it must be just under the surface. The scan has everything else out of focus because that part is further away from the scanner head.

germancoins.jpg

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted