World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Nice AU 1910 threepence along with a few others for holes in my collection. There's a cool die crack on the kangaroos stomach.
    s-l500-1.jpg s-l500.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here's a handful of the coins from a recent large lot (130 coins) I bought thru the forum. My son wanted me to put all the silver together and all the old ones together. Oh, to be 6!
    IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2349.JPG

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

New medieval.

[​IMG]
    Charles de Bourbon “Charles X” (1589 - 1590)
    FRANCE, Paris Catholic League Coinage
    AR Quart d'ecu
    O: CAROLVS. X. D: G. FRANCO. REX, Short cross with fleurs at the ends. Date around, with an initial mark of a cross.
    R: . SIT. NOMEN. DOMINI. BENEDICTVM., Crowned arms flanked by II on both sides, with an initial mark of a rose.
    30 mm
    9.53g
    Reference: DuP 1177

5. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

really love this piece
    [​IMG]

6. rooman9

Some nicer dates for my collection. Both of the shillings have mintage of less than 500,000. The 1935 is a higher grade.
    s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-9.jpg s-l1600-10.jpg

7. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

8. rooman9

Picked this up today. Don't know too much about it. But Stirling Scotland is where the family is from so I got them. Some nice designs. Need to do some more research.
    s-l1600-11.jpg s-l1600-12.jpg

jj00, sonlarson, mackat and 5 others like this.
  9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Just got this one from eBay.

I have no idea what the German meaning of the saying is...hoping it's not something regretful (I mean, I can google-translate the words, but the meaning). Couldn't resist, it's by Loos and has a greyhound.

The seller took a somewhat appallingly low 'make offer' offer--IIRC I offered 50% and he agreed quickly. Which means I still probably paid too much but oh well. It's cool and now I have homework.

[​IMG]

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What kind of bird is that, an owl?
    Real cool die break!

11. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

According to my wife your token translates to "The finger on the mouth".

Probably has something to do with how statue on obverse has their finger on their mouth. Is this a real statue?

12. Stork

@MontCollector Not sure...I just see it as someone saying 'Hmmm....' or 'Ohhh?' or something. I was wondering if it was a famous statue or saying, or not so famous as the case may be (and hopefully not offensive).

@Pickin and Grinin --it's an owl and a cool die break. It's a pretty rough medal, some kind of version of white metal I think. No markings to say for sure, but I suppose it could be a tin of some sort too. Anyway, I liked the owl nearly as much as the dog (which was my real reason for buying it).

MontCollector likes this.
  13. josemartins

josemartins Member

Harpocrates:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpocrates

A similar design medal sold a few years ago:
    http://munzeo.com/coin/medaille-silber-whistmarke-loos-harpokrates-27396093

Jose

14. Stork

@josemartins That's great! Looks nearly the same, but that one is better detailed and silver to boot. Mine is a degenerating base metal, with a bit less detail--the head is a bit different too. A copy perhaps?

No wonder the guy jumped at my cut rate bid...I paid less than the linked one but maybe I should have offered at 30% :D.

Thanks for the links...very helpful!

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Since my british side collection is done due to $ being an obstacle , I have moved onto France.

A Louis xiii 5 franc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice pickup @Mat, it's Louis XVIII actually, not XIII

:) Q

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Typo on my part.

18. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

19. Pickin and Grinin

This purchase boiled down to wanting a shipwreck coin in my collection. And it was the right price. IMG_3687.JPG IMG_3688.JPG

sonlarson, Nathan401, Seba79 and 5 others like this.
  20. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Very nice but come on now....you can't give us an explanation like that and not divulge what ship it came out of. Soooo mean. ;)

I have always wanted a true ship wreck coin.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Draft saved Draft deleted