World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice design but quite cynical ... The "liberation" that the coin refers to was the military coup that established Pinochet's dictatorship. The design can also be found on the 5 pesos circulation coin.

Christian

mackat and Stork like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, definitely speaking from a purely aesthetic rather than political standpoint. There have been lots of "bad regimes with nice coins" throughout history, for sure.

princeofwaldo and mackat like this.
  4. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I went to a local coin show and saw a 'bad regime/nice coin' I just couldn't buy--or even check the price. It was one of those cool Belgian Congo elephants (2 Francs) in decent condition, but, just no. I also see a gorgeous Mussolini art deco medal on eBay but, just no.

That said I do buy Japanese coins and they were not always exactly benevolent in times of war or conquest....It's not always logical and honestly what would I collect if I disallowed every country that has engaged in some kind of horrible activity? Even so, I can't pull the trigger on the medal directly celebrating Mussolini (or King Leopold II himself) or one where the elephant is cool, but at what cost? Too bitter.

Anyway, what I did come away with was a small handful of less-than-costly items.

I got this one that was mislabeled and I have no idea as to the value, though the identity is more nailed down thanks to helpful people on the interwebs.

[​IMG]

Got directed to a site describing it as the 2 gazzetti/4 soldi from around 1570-16 something. It was labeled a 5 soldi from the 1700s. Not that I knew the value of the labeled version, but now I can't even look up a price guide.

<< edited to add: pending a lengthy bath in acetone as it looks quite cruddy and the flip felt like pvc. Actually all the coins from the show are on their way to the 'baths' >>

This one was a couple dollars too--not even close to being a rarity of any sort with a mintage of roughly a bazillion. Showa 49/1974. But the color was too fascinating to resist. It was in a regular 2x2, have no idea what in it's life caused a simple brass coin to look like this. I paid a dollar for the coin and a dollar for the color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    spirityoda, chrsmat71, Nas and 4 others like this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Makes sense, you have to follow your instincts. Hell, I like South African coins, and thus I've been called a racist for it, on this very forum!!! Anyway I see your point.

Stork likes this.
  6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

This arrived today. Yemen 1 Riyal. 1344 AH, about 1925. Hefty coin.

Pardon my funky lighting.

Yemen Rial 1344AH obverse L1.JPG Yemen Rial 1344AH reverse L1.JPG
    Yemen Rial 1344AH obverse L2.JPG
    Yemen Rial 1344AH reverse L2.JPG

spirityoda, alurid, Dave M and 11 others like this.
  8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

A nice PL 6 pence.
    s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg

chrsmat71, Nas, Nathan401 and 14 others like this.
  9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I don't buy many moderns, especially commemoratives, but I thought these were really beautiful and I just ordered a pair:

Hungary 20,000 Forint 2017
    150th Anniversary of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise
    0.925 Silver Proof - limited mintage of 5,000
    77.76g 52.5mm

h20000f17.jpg

Hungary 2,000 Forint 2017
    150th Anniversary of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise
    Copper-Nickel business strike
    66.9g 52.5mm
    h2000f17comp.jpg

The Compromise of 1867 established the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy, in which Hungary's sovereignty was reinstated. Though separate countries internally, Franz Joseph I was crowned as the King of Hungary, and the two countries shared common ministries of foreign affairs, defense, and finance. This compromise lasted until 1918. The obverse features Ferenc Deák, one of the Hungarian authors of the Compromise of 1867, with Emperor Franz Joseph I and Empress Elisabeth on the reverse.

During the period of the Compromise, Austria and Hungary's coinage was closely linked together with common denominations, but each country struck their own types. Interestingly, since Franz Joseph I was crowned the Emperor of Austria in 1848, but King of Hungary in 1867, the two countries had different jubilee dates and thus commemoratives that did not match up like the other coinage generally did. This period is considered to have been a golden age in terms of art and culture, producing some of the most beautiful designs for Hungarian coinage.

10. Endeavor

11. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I thought so too, though the historical context of the coins leaves quite a lot to be desired. Was struck on the 3rd anniversary of Pinochet taking over the country, a guy who brought some measure of stability to Chile but who was a murderous thug never the less.

12. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I finally got a Lundy puffin. 1929 lundy 1 puffin.jpg

13. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Superb Gem for under $50 including shipping. Not exactly rare, but a really nice example of the issue just the same.

egy1964a.JPG egy1964b.JPG

spirityoda, chrsmat71, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  14. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Brunei. 1 Cent
    1304 AH, about 1886 - 1887 CE
    Looks much nicer in hand.
    $46.00

Brunei Cent reverse.jpg Brunei Cent obverse.jpg

15. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Went a bit ancient.....Julius Caesar Denarius Military Mint 49-48 BC

Julius Caesar Denarius (Military Mint) VF.jpg

17. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Alexander III The Great...quarter stater

Alexander Quarter Stater.jpg

18. Endeavor

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a conder token i've wanted for quite a while, lady godiva and strange looking elephant (coventry coat of arms).

[​IMG]

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I recently expanded my Prime Number Date Set with this 1483 Bausche from the Jülich-Berg Duchy. The date is in Roman numerals in the inner circle of the reverse (MCCCCLXXXIII).

[​IMG]

21. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Not the best example, but they come up infrequently. I missed one 3 years back. This is the best I could find since then and I got tired of waiting.

It's a reminder that the world has been a harsh place for a long time.

[​IMG]

ISLAMIC, Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk). Artuqids (Mardin). Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan. AH 580-597 / AD 1184-1200. Æ Dirham (31mm, 16.41 g, 6h). Unlisted (Mardin[?]) mint. Dated AH 596 (AD 1199/1200). Turk, in military outfit and cross legged, seated facing, holding severed head and raised sword; floral spray to left; ornamental scrollwork in exergue / Name and titles of Abbasid caliph in three lines; names and titles of Ayyubid overlord in inner margin; name of Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan and AH date in outer margin. Whelan pp. 103-4; S&S Type 36.3; Album 1829.4; ICV 1209. Good Fine, earthen dark green patina.

I am still looking for a better example, but sometimes you take what you can get, when you can get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted