World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Hiddendragon likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

4. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

5. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

A Fellow collector who searches US Jefferson Nickel rolls sometimes sends me the Canadian Nickels he finds to help complete my 1922-2017 Date set I am working on. The last page got a big boost with today's mail.
    IMG_0001_1.JPG

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another Florin, British, for my type set.

[​IMG]

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup for my Hungarian type set with an interesting background.

The Second Hungarian Republic (1946-1948) was the government of Hungary for a few years between the end of WWII and the Soviet occupation (Hungarian People's Republic). During these 3 years, the Hungarian mint produced 7 business strikes and 4 commemoratives, all of beautiful design, with 1949-1951 being transitional coinage years between these and the Soviet types.

My pickup is sub-type KM-530a, an aluminum version of the 10 Fillér KM-530, which was struck in aluminum-bronze. The KM-530 type was produced from 1946 through early 1948 under the Second Hungarian Republic government, and again in 1950 by the Soviet occupied government. For most dates, versions of this type were also struck on aluminum planchets. Hungarian numismatists consider all of these to be aluminum patterns. The 1950 aluminum pattern (the only year this type was minted under the Soviet government) was struck in greater numbers than in other years.

In late 1950, a type change occurred, which replaced the MAGYAR·ÁLLAMI·VÁLTÓPÉNZ (Hungarian Monetary Authority) legend with MAGYAR NÉPKÖZTÁRSASÁG (Hungarian People's Republic). The new type (KM-547) was struck on the same aluminum planchets as the 1950 pattern (KM-530a). One would surmise that the higher mintage of the 1950 patterns was due to the imminent type change and the desire to get away from the aluminum-bronze pattern, which did not wear well.

Many of the aluminum patterns of all years ended up circulating, and the 1950 is no different except in number. Think of this issue as being analogous to the 1856 flying eagle cents: technically a pattern, but made in atypically large numbers with many released into circulation. Krause incorrectly lists the 1950 aluminum pattern as a business strike sub-type of KM-530 (KM-530a) with unknown mintage, and does not list the aluminum patterns for other years. Hungarian numismatic catalogs, however, clearly list this coin as an aluminum pattern along with the other dates.

In short, this is an aluminum planchet pattern of a Second Hungarian Republic type that was struck by the Soviet Hungarian People's Republic government in 1950 as a planchet test done as a precursor to a type change for the denomination that happened later that same year.

Here's the new coin:

Hungary 10 Fillér 1950BP Aluminum Pattern (KM-530a)
    NGC MS67

0.85g, 19.2mm x 1.4mm
    coin.jpg

And for reference, here is my NGC MS66 example of the business strike version KM-530 (aluminum-bronze planchet) 3g, 19.1mm x 1.5mm:
    coin.jpg

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Sometimes I don't know why I buy something but in this case I don't even know what it is.

Dealer listed it as India- Mauryan Empire- c. 3rd Century BC
    AR Karshapana with punch marks

Maybe he's right but I kind of doubt it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He is, they're very common. Neat coins though.

princeofwaldo and chrsmat71 like this.
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I think it is pre-Mauryan or transitional.

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Rather common Colombian coin. But beautiful.

Attached Files:

• 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
    • 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:
    jj00, Stork, sonlarson and 3 others like this.
  12. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackat and Jaelus like this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

14. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I unfortunately had to return the Guatemalan peso that I previously posted here, as there were some spots on the obverse that were far more obvious in person than in the pictures. I tried to get past them, but couldn't.

I'm happy to have just won this one on Heritage. It looks like it has a lot more luster, minus the spots. It's also one grade higher. I really love the toning on the edges! :)

This particular year has some peculiarities in the strike, which I find interesting. Note the break in the top of the 'E' in 'Guatemala', the non-uniform curviness at the bottom of the letters, something going on under 'Un peso', and the break in 'Lagrange' (Jean Lagrange, the engraver's, name). Can anyone explain the reason behind these?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Silverino, rp3989, jj00 and 12 others like this.
  15. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Like that Quatamalen Peso!

mackat likes this.
  16. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here are some new acquisitions for my Hungarian sets:

Hungary 10 Krajczár 1868KB KM-443
    PCGS MS66

Silver 0.400, 1.66g, 18mm
    10kr.jpg
    This one is a nice upgrade for my previous white MS62 example. Beautiful luster and red peripheral toning. I'm going to cross this one to NGC with my next submission.

Hungary 20 Krajczár 1869KB KM-446
    NGC MS65

Silver 0.500, 2.66g, 21mm
    20kr.jpg
    Ultimately this is only a minor upgrade for my previous white MS64, but this one has nice character and originality.

Hungary 1 Krajczár 1888KB KM-458
    NGC MS64 RB

Copper, 3.33g, 19mm
    OBV.jpg
    This one is for my krajczár date set (1868-1892). Every example of this type (1878-1888) in my set is also MS64 RB, so I couldn't pass this one up. I love the look of these coins in this grade.

Hungary 1 Forint 1890KB KM-475
    NGC MS62

Silver 0.900, 12.35g, 29mm
    ft.jpg
    This one is for my forint date/mm set (1868-1892). MS62 is a typical grade for surviving forint from this period, and I usually wait for higher grade examples for my set, however, 1890 was a type transition year with unknown (but relatively low) mintage, making this a better date. The denomination was retired 2 years after this was struck.

17. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

2017-04-28 14.20.12.jpg

Generally find Canucks in my penny rolls.
    Was surprised to find this in a recent one.
    One Cent Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
    2017-04-28 14.21.31.jpg

cletis faye, jj00, sonlarson and 6 others like this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Is this a ddo? Or is it md? That doubling is unreal...no matter what type. Also check the 6/5 on the date over date and ddo great score

@mackat

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  19. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think it's pretty cool too! I'm not sure what it is, but DDO means doubled die, correct? What is MD? I don't think it's the overdate, as all the overdates I've seen online haven't shown the unique characteristics that the obverse of this coin has.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I got this beauty from Kazakhstan today. 2009 kazakhstan 1 tenge.jpg

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The doubling reminds me of incuse doubling on the new US Qtrs.
    Fantastic Find! It would be in my collection if I found it first.
    The clash is pretty cool also.

Paddy54 and mackat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted