World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TheEgyptian

TheEgyptian Member

It helped me find it and get one for myself. [emoji1]

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

A pair of Prooflike 5 Shilling (1 Crown) from the 1950s. Low mintage on both of them, and really nice PL surfaces:

1952sa.jpg 1952sab.jpg 1953 sa.jpg 1953sab.jpg

4. RTScott1978

RTScott1978 UK/Commonwealth Collector

5. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

I visited a shop in Seville I have frequented a few times. While I didn't find what I was initially after, I do have a circulated 5 Pesetas collection I work on now and again.

1877 Spain 5 Pesetas.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. TheEgyptian

TheEgyptian Member

Got this $5 coin this morning!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. regandon

regandon Senior Member

A quick photo. 1796 1/2 Taler from the Bishopric of Fulda in the German State of Hesse _IMG7965-horz Fulda.jpg

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I got this for $1 along with some other stuff at an estate sale recently. I don't know why but I really like the Morales Pesos.
    IMG_3905.JPG

9. TheEgyptian

TheEgyptian Member

That's an interesting coin. The wreath in the middle like that is an odd find. You can even see the direction of the metal grain in the reverse side. Cool find.

10. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

This 1812 Spanish 8 Reales came my way today. Minted in Lima Peru. NGC AU55.

This will be my last acquisition for a while as I'll be busy for the next couple months.

The black spot on the obverse is actually a mark on the inside of the holder.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Theodosius, jj00, jello and 5 others like this.
  11. Morgandude11

Was browsing Mexican coins on the 'net, and found a dealer who had an entire roll of 1 Peso 1964 coins certified. I picked one up inexpensively, and the coin has nice luster and some frost. Not rare by any means, but a pretty coin. a.jpg b.jpg

12. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The latest addition to my bear collection. This one came in a nice display case that also includes a matching stamp set. 2004 canada 2 dollars.jpg

13. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

14. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Today I went the Long Beach Expo, and of course I had to get a few things while I was there! It was the first time I'd ever been to a coin show, and it was definitely worth it and very fun!

The first thing I got was a 1944-P 25 cents from the Netherlands. It was in a 1/2 off bin, with a price tag of $3, and it immediately caught my eye. I already have one of these, but it's blast-white compared to the gentle toning of this one. I went to pay for it, and the girl insisted that what was obviously (to me) written "$3-" was actually "$5". She said she'd take $2 for it, and that was that [​IMG][​IMG]

The next coin I got is a 1913 1000 réis from Brazil. The toning is very pretty, and I didn't yet have an older Brazilian coin in good condition. Something that caught my eye is that, while Brazil in contemporary Portuguese is spelled "Brasil", it's written "Brazil" on this particular coin. Even before 1913, most Brazilian coins that I've seen say "Brasil", so I think it's simply because the spelling of the language wasn't as standardized at the time. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The third coin is my favorite of today's acquisitions. It's a 1939 "ABC" peso from Cuba. These are notoriously hard to find on the internet, since eBay does not allow listings of Cuban coins - even though this particular one was minted in Philadelphia. I was on a mission to find one at the show today. It definitely took some searching, as the first two I found were quite out of my price range, and the third one was reasonable yet had a large nick on one of the edges. This one was exactly what I was looking for, and I managed to get it for a reasonable price! I think it's one of the nicest looking coins I've seen; the simple yet elegant Art Deco design looks very nice on silver. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Wurttemberg Germany 1833 commemorative Taler NGC AU-58 Wurttemberg a.jpg

16. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Excellent choices. Very nice Cuban Peso.

mackat likes this.
  17. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I got yet another African silver proof crown/independance coin. They are quickly becoming one of my favorites. this one is 28.5 grams, 39mm zambia 1.jpg zambia2.jpg

18. Morgandude11

I am going to collect all 39 of the cat proof coins ( have 4 already), as we are cat lovers, and just adopted a new cat.

mackat likes this.
  19. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Came in the mail today
    1932 soviet Chinese cent (ddo(top 3 characters))
    20170218_140652_HDR.jpg 20170218_140701_HDR.jpg 20170218_124158_HDR.jpg

20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Newest pickup. I have one similar to this, WW2 art. Probably a gift for a sweetheart to use as a pendent or necklace. The obverse has the 5th air force insignia.
    IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2492.JPG

21. jackrabb1t

jackrabb1t Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1959 Ireland Farthing, NGC MS-66* RD
    Mintage: 192,000

This may be my new favorite coin. The color on this one is even better in hand. So difficult to find these coins this nice. NGC has graded a total of four coins at MS-66RD. This is the only one with a star designation.

Draft saved Draft deleted