World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Afghanistan Sher Ali Mohur 1871, possibly the highest graded to date. :)

Sher Ali Obv.jpg Sher Ali Rev.jpg Sher Ali Grade.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

And one that I have wanted for a long time....Phoenician Shekel Byblus

Phoenicia Obv.jpg Phoenicia Rev.jpg Phoenicia Grade.jpg

H8_modern, Dave M, Effigy303 and 6 others like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

5. wprime

wprime Member

A gift from the lovely people at PCGS HK at the Thailand show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71 and jello like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My haul from yesterday's ANA show.

[​IMG]

7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Normally I don't buy coins with problems, but, I've been looking at these (the English pounds) for a while and superb ones are a bit expensive. The coin was slabbed "Details" due to an old cleaning but is beginning to retone. I've never ever been able to afford a British gold pound (20 shillings) but now have at least a sterling silver one.

However what I really like is the period this is from: struck by Charles I in the middle of the English Civil War. Also I'm fond of larger pieces and at ~120 grams, this has to be one of the largest circulating coins ever struck by Great Britain. I need to research the history of this piece.

England, Charles I, silver 20 shillings (pound), Oxford mint, 1642
    [​IMG]

For condition conscious collectors I also bought another piece, much more common but in better grade. This is the Brazilian Republic's 1st crown, issued to repay a debt to Britain which specified the debt to be paid "in silver 2000 reis coins". The dept was incurred by Brazil's Empire and the new Republic had not issued any large silver coins to that point. Not wanting to pay in coins featuring the head of the past Emperor, they struck these solely for the debt repayment. Thus virtually all were exported & melted. Unfortunate as this is one of Brazil's most attractive designs: and is of course to the past Empire's standards: .9166 fine. I'm in Brazil, and while I do see all 3 dates of these from time to time, I just don't see very nice ones.

Brazil, Republic, 2000 reis, 1897 NGC-63
    [​IMG]

chrisild, sonlarson, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are some great coins, Gallienus!

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not just a nice coin, but a fine piece especially due to the background you "attached" to your image :)

Christian

10. LuLu11

LuLu11 New Member

11. LuLu11

LuLu11 New Member

what is the best way learn the value of world coins?

12. LuLu11

LuLu11 New Member

im new to this forum not really sure how to use it

13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Hi LuLu11 - welcome to coin talk!

It would be a good idea to go to the "Introductions" forum by clicking on "Forums" at the top of the page. Create a thread there announcing your arrival and interests and you will get losts of welcomes.

To answer your other question, if you have World coins that you want to get an identification on or value, post pictures of them here and people will get back to you, or create a new thread under "World Coins" to get more focus on your enquiry. (A good way to get reasonable pictures of coins is to use your scanner.) Longer term you will probably want to get hold of a copy of Krause for the century/centuries you are interested in.

Good luck!

chrisild, chrsmat71 and LuLu11 like this.
  14. LuLu11

LuLu11 New Member

Thank you very much.

15. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

HI Lulu, and welcome!. First you have to define "value". If your are referring to the retail value, it's going to be confusing. There are a lot of references out there. On line https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/ind...e&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=peso&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&g=&f=

Book form, best reference Krause Standard catalog of World Coins. Find a used one to start, much cheaper and tons of data.

http://search.half.ebay.com/standar...ns_W0QQ_trksidZp3030Q2em1446Q2el2686QQmZbooks

also available on DVD

Search completed auctions on eBay

The real "value"? Harder to define, how much is is worth to you? I have many that are worth much more to me than to someone else.

Ask questions, there is a great bunch of guys on this forum and a ton of experience.
    We love to share

chrisild likes this.
  16. sonlarson

Arrived tonight. A couple of coins to fill 2 holes in my Pre-1962 Cuba collection. While not the grade I want, and I'll certainly continue the search for AU or MS, I couldn't pass up a $7 opportunity. A couple of you know what I mean by "hard to find", "inexpensive", "high mintage", but "where the heck are they?" coins!

Easy to find in Copper-Nickel, try to find one in Brass.

1953 Cuba Centavo, Mintage 50,000,000, one year type
    Cuba 1953 1 Centavo.jpg

1943 Cuba 5 Centavos Mintage 6,000,000, One year type
    Cuba 1943 5 Cenatvos.jpg

jj00, chrsmat71 and chrisild like this.
  17. sonlarson

This also came in today's mail. All the way from Korea(South). Going in the World Proof/Mint Set Collection. One of these days I am going to figure out how to image through the hard mint plastic to get better quality photos.

2016 South Korea Mint Set Mintage NA

Korea 2016 Mint set slab.jpg Korea 2016 Mint Set.jpg

jj00, chrsmat71, jello and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Are you saying there are two different types? I only see one listed in Krause. I was just looking at mine and the one I have looks like brass. 1953 cuba 1 centavo.jpg

spirityoda, sonlarson and jello like this.
  19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The other one, I think. ;) The 5 centavos coin with the Roman numeral came in two versions - brass (1943) and Cu-Ni (1946/60/61). Don't have any of the two though ...

Christian

20. sonlarson

Sorry, made it confusing. The 1943 is Brass and for me , harder to locate. The 1958 version in Copper-Nickel was easy to find.

Cuba 1958 Un Centavo.jpg

jello likes this.
  21. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I see. I have the 43 but mine has gunk on it so the fact that I haven't upgraded must mean I don't see too many either.

Draft saved Draft deleted