World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Picked this up for a very good price. I can live with a few marks and cloudiness at the price I paid. Might do a quick dip or leave as is. This is the mate to my 1974 500 Kronur. 1100th anniversary of the First Settlement. Original mintage estimated at 58,000 with 17,000 melted.

Iceland 1974 1000 Kronur Silver Proof. Surviving mintage estimated at 41,000

Iceland 1974 1000 Kronur.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

A little history. Argentina produce mint sets in only 4 years. 1977 and 1978 having the same set. This set shows 1978 on the cover but the coins are dated 1977. Not sure what that means, if anything.
    This set marks the first time a host nation issued a a set to commemorate the World Cup Games.
    The set also contains the 1st Silver coins issued by Argentina since 1885.
    The 1000,2000, and 3000 Pesos combine for 1.4467 oz. ASW. Each of the three show mintage of 98,837. The 20,50, and 100 Pesos are Aluminum Bronze.
    The Bronze coins seem to have survived the soft mint plastic cover better than the Silver. The 2000 Pesos does show some nice toning.

I also picked up 2 of the 3 coin mint sets which have the Bronze coins only. I'll probably sell or trade those.

Argentina 1978 Mint Set. Mintage na

Argentina 1978 Mint Set.jpg

jello, jj00 and onecenter like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Now this is the kind of coin that could benefit greatly from a successful dip.

5. sonlarson

After a 3 second dip. Yeah, I saw the dust until after I took the pic. Blew it off and placed in Air-Tite. I did't feel like reopening and breaking the seal to take another photo.

Iceland 1974 1000 Kronur 2.jpg

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Picked up a 5 Franc Napoleon. These are the sellers photos. I've wanted one of these for years so it's exciting to find one I could afford.
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Shame about the reverse but still looks like a great coin. Need some of him too.

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Went to my LCS where I got to look through a few boxes from an old collection. All the coolest ones are in an envelope for the dealer to price. Only able to walk out with these three minor coins for a whopping $8.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jj00, chrisild, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Too bad. Your dealer seems kind of high. Many dealers would put those in a bin for 25 cents each. I love the Congo elephant coins.

jester3681 and jello like this.
  10. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

spirityoda and Silverino like this.
  12. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

13. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

For $3 at the local monthly flea market:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

coins_20160718_4.jpg coins_20160718_3.jpg

sonlarson, jj00, jello and 1 other person like this.
  14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Nice coin! In Spinks this would be ref S3909, type A2 with the First head. Note the Die number of the date - 38 I think. At this time the Victorian mints were experimenting with the construction of dies and put in die numbers so they could keep track of how long the dies lasted and also how long the coins remained crisp.
    (The low die numbers are usually the most sought after.)
    $3 is a good price!

15. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I don't have alot of experience with GB coinage, so when I looked it up I first saw the 'no die #' variety listing and went...whoa...but then I considered the likelihood and looked up the 'with die #' variety and pulled out my loop.

And I agreed it's a good buy for $3, though I would like the 'six' to be stronger.

jello likes this.
  16. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes - UK coins are even more complex than US. (We have had a lot longer to get confused!)

Here is one of my better ones in the same series with the die number for your entertainment. 1864 6D.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    sonlarson, spirityoda, jj00 and 3 others like this.
  17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup for my Austro-Hungarian Corona/Korona date set, including patterns and PR/PL strikes.

Austria Corona 1916 Aluminum Pattern KM-PN85
    NGC MS62

pattern_obv.jpg pattern_rev.jpg

As aluminum had been growing in industrial use over the previous 20 years (and becoming significantly cheaper), trials were done in aluminum dated both 1913 and 1916 as pattern pieces for the corona. I don't know if the aluminum patterns dated 1913 were made in 1913 or if they were made alongside the pieces struck in 1916 with a 1913 die. Either way, it seems assured that this pattern was struck in 1916, as due to the death of Emperor Franz Joseph I on Nov 21st, there were no more coins of this type struck after this year.

It’s interesting that the pattern shows clash marks on the obverse behind the head and below the chin from the leaves/stems of the reverse die. 1916 had a decent mintage of about 12.4m (struck in silver) and I’ve seen many examples, but I’ve never seen a 1916 business strike with this clash present. Perhaps the clash occurred during production of the trial pieces with aluminum planchets or the dies used for the trial pieces were ones that had previously been pulled from service.

18. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Love getting these British Pre-decimal proofs! This one has some nice toning on the bottom of the reverse the picture doesn't show.
    s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

sonlarson, jj00, icerain and 6 others like this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

not new just some new photos...

Poland...
    DSC_9701.JPG
    DSC_9702.JPG
    DSC_9703.JPG
    DSC_9704.JPG
    DSC_9705.JPG
    DSC_9706.JPG
    DSC_9707.JPG
    DSC_9708.JPG
    DSC_9709.JPG
    DSC_9710.JPG

01mikep, Paddy54, sonlarson and 5 others like this.
  20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Draft saved Draft deleted