World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

My wife and I visited the TNA show this morning. Took a while to get there since Rangers are playing today and all the traffic rerouted. Also Six Flags was open. A big traffic mess. I was a little disappointed in that several tables were already abandoned. This is normal for Sunday, but unusual for a Saturday. I planned to focus on my Cuba and Philippines type set and maybe find a World mint or proof set. Total blank on the mint and proof sets. Nothing interesting. Only one table had decent inventory. Cuba was also a challenge. I was only able to find what I already had or coins below the grade I was searching for. I did find one dealer who had a nice inventory on the Philippines and was able to find 4 on my list. 2016 Gold dimes were going for $250. I took mine with me hoping to sell for that. One dealer told me he bought 10 and can't move them. Another blooper from the mint. I did get a free Bausch & Lomb 5X loupe with a nice black velvet bag when we registered. So that was neat.

1944s Philippines Centavo Mintage 58,000,000
    Philippines 1944s Centavo.jpg

1961 Peso, Mintage 100,000 0.7523 ASW
    100th Anniversary Birth of Dr. Jose Rizal
    Philippines 1961 Peso.jpg

1964 Peso, Mintage 100,000 0.7523 ASW
    100th Anniversary Birth of Apolinario Mabini
    Philippines 1964 Peso.jpg

1967 Peso, Prooflike issue, Mintage 1000,000 0.7523 ASW
    25th Anniversary of Bataan Day
    Philippines 1967 Peso.jpg

chrsmat71, jello, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I wish I knew why I like Spanish colonials as much as I do. 1700s 2 reales
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And at the other end of the spectrum, 20 Lire fantasy piece in silver. Dated 1943 but struck around 1970. Listed as X#2 in the Unusual Coins book.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

spirityoda, wcg, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just won this....

AV 50 Francs 1857-A (Paris Mint) MS-65 FDC 2301445l (1).jpg
    Emperor Louis Napoleon III 1852-70

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love the reverse.

panzerman likes this.
  7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here are some of the silver coins I received in the mail today - I thought I'd snap some ok quality photos while I was going to take pics anyway:

1936 Ceylon Crown #X 1b - I like this elephant design more than the 1944 Congo 50 Francs one, so I bought it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1936 Poland 10 Zlotych - that 'stache looks hilariously nice.

[​IMG]

1931 San Marino 20 Lire

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I love the elephant. I'll have to put that on my want list. The San Marino is nice too.

Although it isn't real, is it? Ceylon only went up to 50 cents, and this is a King Edward VIII fantasy coin I think.

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

There were coin designs proposed to King Edward VIII until he unexpectedly abdicated from the throne in Dec 1936 to marry an American "commoner" from Baltimore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but George Hearn bought up some of the original dies from the Royal Mint (Piedfort?), he designed his dies based off of the original dies , or these are Hearn's original designs (I'm unsure of which scenario applies here), and struck these up. No period 1936 coin exists of Edward VIII at all. This example I have is a proof-like version minted in 1954 with a mintage of 250, then re-struck later in the 80's with a mintage of 500 by Richard Lobel, who in turn purchased the dies from George Hearn. As a result, the Richard Lobel minted crowns are said to be less detailed. There are, of course, different mintage numbers for various metal and strike types, such as gold, copper, proof, etc.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. Hiddendragon

I don't know the die history but I know I've seen a lot of Edward VIII coins for sale on eBay and I assumed they were some sort of fantasy coin. They all look brand new and are not found in the regular Krause.

Actually though there are circulating Edward VIII coins. British West Africa has some and East Africa may as well. There could be others but I know about those and I have a few.

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Minted circa 1936?

12. Hiddendragon

Yes. I don't have any photos handy but they're listed in Krause. They made two different versions in 1936. One has Edward and the other has one of the Georges, but I'm not sure which one. George V I believe.

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a new pickup for my Unc Hungarian type set 1848-1946:

Hungary KM435
    6 Krajczar 1849NB
    NGC MS63

0.428 Silver, 2.23g 20mm

This is one of the few denominations minted by the rebels during the Hungarian War of Independence (1848-1849) and is a one-year type. The mint mark (NB) stands for the Nagy Bánya (means "large mine" in Hungarian) mint in Transylvania. Although the war was relatively short-lived at just under 19 months, the rebel government struck 1, 3, 6, 10, and 20 krajczar coins, as well as a gold ducat. After the war, Hungary was occupied by Austrian forces and would not issue their own coinage again until 1867.

obv.jpg
    rev.jpg

wcg, chrsmat71, jello and 2 others like this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here are a couple recent auction wins for my Hungarian type set. Both are raw, but will be submitted with my next batch to NGC:

Hungary KM452 20 Krajczar 1870KB
    0.500 Silver, 2.66g 21mm

This is the first year of the type (1870-1872). The 20 Krajczar denomination was the work horse of the period, and as a result, most examples are found heavily circulated. Finding a problem free uncirculated example with good eye appeal was extremely difficult, and as I expected, this example hammered at over three times the catalog price for the type. This coin has prooflike surfaces in hand.

macho_chlapovic_lot321.jpg

Hungary KE9 1 Garas 1896
    (Karoly Robert type)

Silver 4.02g 27.5mm

To celebrate the Hungarian millennium in 1896, a set of nine commemorative coins that mimic historic Hungarian types were issued, with the devices and text changed to celebrate the contemporary ruler King Franz Josef I. This extremely rare commemorative type mimics a Karoly Robert 1 Garas (1307-1342).

macho_chlapovic_lot346.jpg

iPen, chrsmat71, jello and 3 others like this.
  15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Some new world coins. Lots of nicer grade British with a few others thrown in.
    s-l1600-12.jpg s-l1600-13.jpg s-l1600-14.jpg s-l1600-15.jpg s-l1600-16.jpg s-l1600-17.jpg s-l1600-18.jpg s-l1600-19.jpg s-l1600-20.jpg s-l1600-21.jpg

chrsmat71, jj00, jello and 1 other person like this.
  16. rooman9

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coins, rooman.

rooman9 likes this.
  18. rooman9

Thanks, I've been lucky lately.

19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I love british copper and those are lovely examples.

rooman9 likes this.
  20. rooman9

Some new aussie coinage!
    s-l500-1.jpg s-l500.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

chrsmat71, jj00, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  21. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Simply beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted