World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Nickel is hard enough to photograph already. Make it a proof nickel coin, and it's really hard. This is a nice piefort (double thickness) coin from my birth year of a design I really love. I used a coupon I had for eBay that was expiring, so it was a fun low-mintage (500) freebie that looks super in hand.

I photographed it two different ways. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aidan_(), spirityoda, Jaelus and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@brg5658
    Nice Coins and High Grade!
    :)

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I think things like this are cool. 1838 Guyana 1 stiver token. 1838 guyana 1 stiver.jpg

spirityoda, jj00, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Same year I was born, nice additions.

brg5658 likes this.
  6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Beautiful coin!

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Sellers pics. I'll take better ones when it gets here. I gambled a bit, the photos aren't the best so I'm hoping the toning is better in hand. I have one but this one is an upgrade!
    s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

JPeace$, spirityoda, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  8. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

9. sonlarson

In 2002 Germany became one of the original countries to convert to the Euro. 2001 was the last year for minting coinage with designs that started in 1949. This makes it one of the more desirable years to collect. I was shocked to see that I was the only bidder. As a result I won the set for $12.99. Krause values it over $100.
    One of the interesting things about Germany is that they produced mint and proof sets at all 5 of their mints. One would have to purchase all 5 sets to have a complete collection.
    The one I purchased is from the Berlin (A) Mint.

A question: I noticed that starting in 1996 that a lot of the coinage is listed as "in sets only" for both circulating and proof coins. What did they use for circulation? Did Germany produce so much coinage in the earlier years that they kept it in circulation? I see this for 2003 and 2006 also. I'm sure Christian, @chrisild , will be able to answer this.

This is a beautiful set. All the marks are on the plastic.
    I placed the 2 Marks with Erhard and Brandt together for a reason. Can anyone guess why? Strauss is looking at the other two.

2001-A Germany proof Set Mintage 78,000

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG Germany 2001a Proof Set.jpg

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Very nice proof set. Sadly, it seems our post-WW2 Mark coinage is not really popular with collectors, except for a couple of 5 Mark pieces struck in the 1950s. In 1995 and following years the mintage was reduced, I guess we had Mark coins in abundance :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    sonlarson likes this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like the seeing 50 pfennig in proof. I have seen it UNC so many times.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

1960 Philippines 1 Centavo in roll searching today. Not much of a find but wanted to post it.

Attached Files:

jello and sonlarson like this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, the euro changeover was a process that, in all countries of the currency union, took several years. :) Germany was indeed one of the founding members when the euro was "born" (1-Jan-1999). Production of the euro and cent coins began in mid-1998. The government decided to use 2002 as the earliest date on the euro coins though (which is when the euro cash became legal tender) while others, such as France, picked 1999.

As micbraun wrote, we had plenty of mark and pfennig coins in the late 1990s. :) So in the mid-90s the government decided to not mint any new pieces as from 1997, except those for collectors. Had the "euro schedule" been modified for some reason, they could have easily made a couple more DM coins. But that was not necessary, and so ...

As for German pre-euro coins, yes, prices have gone down. Maybe some "out of sight, out of mind" type of effect, don't know.

And yes, the circulation coins are made according to demand. For example, in 2007 Germany started using the "new map" reverse - but no 10 cent, 50 cent or 1 euro coins with that design have been minted for circulation so far, just for sets. Germany is still a pretty cash oriented country, but even here we don't need that many, it seems.

Maybe because he does exactly that, while Erhard and Brandt look at you (frontal portrait)? Politically you should have Erhard and Strauß together. ;)

Christian

micbraun likes this.
  14. sonlarson

Actually I was trying to show the contrast of Erhard's scowl and Brandt's smile. Maybe Erhard was not too happy with the economy at the time. Brandt is probably smiling because he successfully pulled one over on the Nazi regime.:happy:

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Have not seen many photos or TV scenes where Erhard smiled, and while he was a successful Minister of Economic Affairs, his chancellorship was ... oh well. Now Brandt (mayor/governor in West Berlin, chancellor/head of government in West Germany) was different also with regard to his sense of humor. Without getting into politics, here is a famous interview from the early 1970s. The TV journalist Friedrich Nowottny had told or asked the chancellor's office before that the Q&A could not be longer than 1:30 ... so Brandt's answers were short. :D No need to understand German for this:

Christian

micbraun likes this.
  16. Dcordeiro

Dcordeiro Active Member

For the German coin appreciators...

German Empire (Kaiserreich) circulating strike (mintage: 609,835)
    Wurrtemberg 2 Mark 1905

[​IMG]

Jaelus, JPeace$, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  17. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Don't know how this happens so often. Picked these up for $1 less than melt, that's including shipping! Nothing rare but will fill a few holes/upgrade. Sellers pics.
    s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

jj00, Hiddendragon, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

rooman9 likes this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

1985 Hungary 100 forint. I love the otter. 1985 hungary 100 forint otter.jpg

jello, jj00, chrisild and 2 others like this.
  20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

They have some nice classy/eye appealing designs to them. Was this from a dealer or off the internet? I wouldn't mind owning a set.

21. sonlarson

Found it on ebay

Draft saved Draft deleted