World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

America helped set up Liberia as a colony for freed slaves if I remember right.

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Probably so. Religious mottos on coins are rare these days, at least here in Europe, but they were more common in the 19th century. In the Americas, Nicaragua has the same motto (in Spanish).

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

i just bought this one from Germany

$_1 (45).JPG

gronnh20, Derick, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice last year Vicky!!!
    :)

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Picked up this beauty as a part of a trade while I was at the Whitman Expo last weekend. Haven't gotten to take proper photos of my new pickups yet (waiting until I get my submission back from NGC), but here's a quick cell phone pic for now.

1879 Austria 2 Gulden/2 Forint KM-XM5
    NGC MS62

This commemorative was issued to celebrate Franz Joseph I and his wife Elisabeth's 25th wedding anniversary in 1879.

The coin has a lettered edge with the dual denomination engraved in both German (Zwei Gulden) and Hungarian (Ket Forint) along the edge, though all text on the obverse and reverse are in Latin.

2fl_obv.png
    2fl_rev.png

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

gorgeous coin.:jawdrop: envy is thee word. :cool:

8. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

From the recent Heritage sale:

[​IMG]

gronnh20, Derick, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  9. Jaelus

Just an incredible 8R set you've got. I especially like the 21 Zacatecas s after 8. I've never seen one of those before, but I did manage to find a pleasing 21 Zs AZ/RG in a 45 for my type set.

10. RomanTheRussian

Thanks, Jaelus. It's been a fun hunt so far! Especially when you get into all the varieties. The Zacatecas error has some controversy around it. 1821's were produced for a number of years, using a multitude of different dies. Some experts believe that any 1821 Z's with a portrait without a mouth, like the example in my set, are period full silver content imitations. Yet there are also a number of numismatic references that list them as authentic. After almost 200 years of them being on the market it's hard to say definitively who is right.

Would love to see your type set if you have a link!

11. Jaelus

Well the contemporary counterfeits are quite collectible in their own right anyhow.

Here are my portrait 8R types. I'm still looking for a KM106 and 108 that catch my eye. I'm going for originality, character, and a great strike, and I quite like the look of a dark patina on these.
    https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/AnqrFv2OcPXU6CP19z7Z

RomanTheRussian likes this.
  12. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

This is an interesting proof set for a couple of reasons. Krause shows 2 different 9 piece proof sets for 1970. The only difference is one has the KM# 2908 50 Schilling ( 300th Anniversary-Insbruck University, Mintage, 11,700 ) and the other has the KM# 2909 50 Schilling(100th Anniversary-Birth of Dr. Karl Renner, Mintage, 286,200). This set has both for a total of 10 Coins. I suspect is was put together outside of the Austrian Mint. I have no problem with that. The other thing that got my interest was that I paid less than $17 for the set and the 2, 50 Schillings along with the 25 and 10 Schillings combine for 1.6461 ounces of silver. I paid less than melt for the set! The coins are sort of unattractive since they appear to have PVC sickness and cloudy, but I still like them. Mintage, NA.

Austria 1970 Proof Set.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    gronnh20, Derick, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  13. RomanTheRussian

That's a great looking set with some nice original skin. I especially love the 1809 - better than average strike on the bust and what looks like booming lustre on the reverse!

Jaelus likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Very nice coin indeed. "Quintum lustrum" is a strange way of writing "twenty five years" but maybe they thought it sounds more poetic. :)

Christian

Jaelus likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Malta 1976, 10 pounds, KM#42 , .917 gold, very low mintage- 4,448. I have wanted this type coin for a very long time. Swallowtail butterfly for the topical/themed "Coins with insects" collection. sellers pic...

$_57 (7)ggggffffybnfxdcv.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  16. Jaelus

Thanks. That 1809 is indeed a stunner in hand. I was looking for a long time for a nice AU example with a strong strike. Those armored Ferdinands are usually so weak and the obverse doesn't carry wear well. I think the 1792 is undergraded as well. It's dark but looks dynamic in hand.

17. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know the country or etc on this one but i thought it was neat so i picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Thailand 1 Baht, BE 2531 (1988)

chromerunner likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Singapore 1983sm 10 Cents NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo KM#3a , .925 silver , low mintage- 15,000 , NGC population (8) sellers pics...

$_12aaaaaaaa.JPG
    $_12bbbbbbbbbb.JPG
    $_57ccccccccccccc.JPG
    $_57dddddddddd.JPG

I have a Singapore proof set, but I did not want to break it up. it is cool just seeing this coin by itself. I really like the seahorse design and I think it looks even better in cameo proof. :cat:

Jaelus, gronnh20, sonlarson and 3 others like this.
  20. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have three complete Singapore sterling silver proof sets and the cameos on all six coins compliment each of their designs.

spirityoda likes this.
  21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

One more yard sale pick up. One more 1964 Canadian proof like sets. 20150725_163942-1.jpg 20150725_163516-1.jpg 20150725_163257-1.jpg half dollar has best Deep Cameo appearance and grade too.

Draft saved Draft deleted