World Coin Market is Hot ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by doppeltaler, Jan 21, 2021.

1. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

This is at least my observation. I always buy something for my birthday from NYINC coin show. But this year the coins I collect (Multiple denomination silver crowns) seem to be way expensive than the last few years. It could be just the types I collect but I see the same from multiple online auctions (kunker and sixbid).
    I am wondering if anyone else sees the same trend in their respective collection areas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Yep, it has really slowed me down....but that could be a good thing.

serafino likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically everything is hot. Tons of posts about it on the ancient board, and world and ancients only difference is age. Many people bored at home. I succumbed to it lately, after losing out for a few months.

5. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. Interesting situation. I agree it could be a good thing short term for the coins we own. I know it's hard to predict but do you think it is going to remain the same long-term?
    Also very encouraging to see there are lots of active collectors in the world/ancient coins.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

World Coin Market is Hot ?

Uhhhh yeah, it has been for 17 years in a row now.

7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

It's the hottest I've seen in the last 6 years . It's slowed down my buying which is a good thing ;). Much harder to find good deals like I used to find.

Trish, Edward D Shapiro and panzerman like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, it is hot. On the one hand, that's not great because it costs more to buy - but on the other, a hot market is going to draw attention and hard-to-find coins are more likely to come out of hiding.

9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

It has been hot since the 1950s. From 1700-1900 only the nobility collected coins/ since they had the money, everyone else worked 90 hours a week to survive. By 1900 rich industrialists/ well to do Doctors/ Lawyers joined the elite hobby. After WW2/ more average people started into collecting/ esp. in Europe/ NA. Now in 2020 with more joining the Middle Classes from Third World Countries/ the demand far out strips supply esp. for World coinage. Even more for the high quality coins. Of course, this does not apply to the modern mint sets/ unless they are PROOF 70.
    But then there are great buys, takes a bit of luck, and a whole lot of researching auctions for hidden gems. You will not find these on CNG Triton Auctions/ where millions of high rollers are in a bidding frenzy. But on obscure sites/ like this "unique" Triens I won for 3K euros Heritage/Europe. 9631-l.jpg

buckeye73 and princeofwaldo like this.
  10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've noticed in the last two months my eBay sales have been really good. Not sure the reasons, and there's a lot of factors that could be in play. But for what it's worth I've seen that pick up. Now if I could only rely on the post office actually delivering them ... but I digress.

panzerman likes this.
  11. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I collect world crown sized coins and have noticed that on ebay they are selling well + on Instagram and facebook I'm seeing a lot of interest!

Edward D Shapiro and panzerman like this.
  12. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

World crowns were simply on fire today at Heritage. The Cape Coral collection contained many top population pieces that commanded a premium. I had a couple of bids that were left in the dust. Regardless, I enjoyed watching the auction as an admiring collector.

13. physics-fan3.14

Yes, I did enjoy watching that one.

I'm looking forward to the Stephen Album auction tomorrow, as it has several pieces I'm very interested in.

panzerman and wcg like this.
  14. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

15. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I only bid on 1 item and got absolutely killed. Same in CNG's Triton sale XXIV although I did bid on more items there.

16. robp

robp Well-Known Member

I concur that we have been in a rising market since the turn of the millennium. Recently however, the rate of increase seems to have ticked up a notch. A few things in Heritage tonight are already 3 or 4 times the value I would put on my own (better in my view) examples, and those valuations are based on prices seen only last summer. There's a lot of money looking to find a home at the moment. You see something that would be a reasonable buy at 2 or 3K - and it goes for 9 or 10.

serafino, wcg and panzerman like this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

The NY show took place ?????????????

18. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Heritage runs all their auctions from Dallas due to the pandemic. I assume the other US based houses are doing the same.

19. physics-fan3.14

Not that I know of.

The auctions that were supposed to be attached to NYINC were rescheduled to be online-only. I'm pretty sure the Stephen Album auction this weekend, which I mentioned, was supposed to be part of the NYINC.

panzerman likes this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am on the Heritage Platinum Sale/ Album Auction right now/ its a bidding frenzy.

serafino likes this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

So WHY are world coins so hot the last few years or decades ?

The same factors moving foreign coins should also apply to U.S. coins......UNLESS.....there are lots of world coins that cost < $50 and it's easier for these to double or triple or quadruple than similarly priced American coins or equivalent rarities that cost hundreds of dollars in the U.S.

You wouldn't expect 2 major markets -- U.S. coins and World coins -- to diverge for so long a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted