Wore my best suit to the bank--not the usual retirement clothes

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by differential, Jul 13, 2021.

1. differential

differential Active Member

Had never done this before...usually it's jeans and a beat-up shirt..

Wow! The incredible politeness and respect I received. I asked, please, may I purchase $25 dollars in "pennies", but only if you can spare them? The head teller brought out three ten-dollar boxes of pennies, extremely sturdy boxes, and commented that the "metal boxes" would scratch the countertop. (I've never seen a metal coin box. ????)

What happened next I couldn't believe. They gave me three of those really nice zippered coin pouches...ten dollars of cents in two of them, five in another. Now I can re-use them! Of course, they go right into paper bags....

I think I'll always wear my best suit when I go to the bank...even felt good to dress up, not in the good ol' retirement/pandemic clothes.

Interesting, there is a Dunkin' Donuts on the way....after a few trips I'll stop there on the way and bring them goodies, which they greatly deserve.

Soon, the dump bank will beckon...

Cliff Reuter, DEA, SchwaVB57 and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You don't have to dress up to get the bank bags. I'm almost always in blue jeans and sandals. All you have to do is ask for them. Here is my collection. (Two of the banks no longer exist.)

North First Bank (white), 6"x11"

Barnett Bank (green), 6"x11" - Qty. 3

Bank of America (gray), 9"x12" - Qty. 2

Gift from NGC
    Paper Money Guaranty (green), 12"x12"

differential likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yes, the book often gets judged by the cover.

MaryK, DEA, coin_nut and 6 others like this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Guess going in as a slob doesn’t work so well, but for me the candy and baked goodies offset my slovenly appearance!

6. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

I tend to wear my gym clothes as i cycle to all my local banks ( none of which I actually bank with ) so I’m usually looking terrible when I enter these places but I’m assuming having an English accent helps me get new rolls everyday ;) maybe I will try wearing the whistle one day to see if that helps even more lol.

7. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

If that bank branch is one you normally went to then it wouldn't make much difference in what you wore. They should know you as regular customer. However, what you wear can and does affect how people think of you or how they respond to you. If you were a regular customer of that bank and you walking in dressed up you may get their attention. Keep in mind most people are judged by how they look. First Impressions do mean something. This is nothing unusual at a coin show either. If you go to a coin show and look like you came from skid row the dealers would treat you different than if walked in dressed nicely. You may actually get a better price from a dealer if you dress nicely. If you went to a coin show dressed like a bum then a dealers first thought is you have no money to buy nice coins so I'm not going to waste my time on this person. The dealer won't say it but, that's what they are thinking. Then go to the show in a suit and tie and dealers will be falling all over you thinking you have money to spend. This happens all the time.

differential likes this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I get a good response showing up in a pink Speedo and sandals. try it sometime you might even get the top secret toasters they say they don't give out anymore, but I know better!

9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Hey hey hey, leave my formal attire out of this!

10. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

I will be wearing my finest mankini for the next bank trip in that case as I could do with a new toaster :woot:

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

The only suit I have these days is my birthday suit. They'd probably give me a hundred dollars to buy a new one.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Poor things, they couldn't resist you... :D

wxcoin and differential like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

And they will call security and the cops.

:)

14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Most banks, here anyway, will not allow gifts of food for the tellers, simply because of the of the Covid thing. Being grateful and courteous is the best gift, in my opinion. Great thought though!

differential likes this.
  15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

That's why I don't go to Walmart anymore. I don't like to dress up.

differential, wxcoin and DEA like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Or donate money so you can have it pressed...

Cheech9712 and differential like this.
  17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

You can't press ugly!

18. differential

differential Active Member

But hubs can press dies and the Fed presses make money....

Sorry, gotta go I'm pressed for time

wxcoin, Kentucky and Nyatii like this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'm im-pressed

wxcoin likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Maybe cuz your so damn handsome and reek with class when you do it right. It’s all about being classy

wxcoin and Kentucky like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not really

Draft saved Draft deleted