woodgrain penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by blu62vette, Feb 20, 2009.

1. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Here is nice woodgrain toned penny, just thought I would share....

[​IMG]

Geekstrosity likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

YeeHawwwwwww:bigeyes:

4. snaz

snaz Registry fever

NUFF SAID!
    Very Very nice one man! Great intro to the forum!

5. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I mean........ WOW!

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Keep going!

7. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

That's awesome toning. Can anyone tell me what causes that to occur? My guess is planchet imperfections, but I'm not sure.

8. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I can't, I am not sure if this is even the right year to be a true woodgrain coin....I am sure someone will chime in.

9. snaz

snaz Registry fever

This is absolutely the right year. The alloys in the planchet were not mixed properly, causing the woodgrain appearance. Most of the time it brings the price of the coin down, in this circumstance, especially witht eh toning, the coin would bring a nice premium.

10. TwoSon

TwoSon Senior Member

Wow!!!:thumb::thumb:

Me likes it...alot

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The TPGs always grade these low. I don't think they know how to conceive of the graining, quite honestly. The way they tend to grade these, one would think they're almost conceiving of it as blemishing or spotting; something distracting, obscuring, or within that category...

12. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Now thats some wood 4 ya. Freshness

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Outstanding Woody! :bigeyes:

14. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Yah So I've noticed Eddie.
    I've never owned one, But I drooled over some slabs at a show, and I couldn't help but feel they were undergraded. Then again, at the time I couldn't tell my... you know what from a you know what in the ground.
    LOL I hope that made sense.
    But Yeh, I've noticed the same thing

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have always been told that it is the alloy improperly mix in the planchet.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The problem with grading these is that the nicks do not show. In pics, they are nearly impossible to see and in hand they are almost as hard.

17. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Most all of them trade at standard prices, but the truly spectacular coins do bring a premium. I cannot keep them on my site, they go quickly.

I did recently buy about 100 of them in Tucson, but with only a FEW true stars in there. I try to get them every chance I get.

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

TWITA

This coin is as cool as the other side of the pillow and it's photo deserves to be on every page of this thread. Photo-bump!

Wicked cool coin man and welcome to the forum. Hope you have a lot of other coins to show us with photos like that.

Paul

19. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Welcome blu62vette to the forum:hail:. We've seen your coin now how about a shot of the blue 1962 corvette?

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Snaz has it right. Lincolns are made from 95% copper and 5% zinc and tin planchets. The pure copper parts of the imperfect planchet mix tone and oxidize at a different rate than the sections heavy with zinc and tin.

The streaking occurs due to the rolling process in the planchet preparation. Very small bits of unmixed zinc and tin get rolled out like in dough. Think of what would happen if you put chocolate chips in dough and rolled it out as hard as you could in one direction.

21. fishaddicit

fishaddicit Senior Member

Absolutely :thumb:GORGEOUS:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted