Featured Wooden Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A Wooden Nickel is a token. They were mostly issued by a merchant or a bank and at times redeemable for specific items. Scrip and tokens have often been issued locally in times of severe economic distress such as a financial crisis ir during the Civil War.

In the depression, a local bank in Tenino, Washington issued emergency currency printed on thin wood strips. Blaine, Washington did the same but included a five cent piece.

The 1933 Chicago World's Fair issued wooden nickels as souvenirs. This practice continues to the present day but not just confined to fairs. In recent times, wooden nickel trading has become very popular.

You can have your own personalized token made and trade or sell them. The phrase "don't take any wooden nickels" is American in nature and it's a lighthearted reminder to be cautious in your dealings. It also means "don't be a sucker".

Wooden Nichels can date back to the 1880s but they did not become abundant until the 1930s. The most valuable wooden nickel known is the 1933 Olsen specimen Liberty Wooden Nickel, which is valued at $3,737,500.

The 2nd most famous wooden nickel is the 1918/17 D Buffalo Wooden Nickel with a doubled die obverse and that one is valued at $350,750. Third in line is a 1926 Buffalo Wooden Nickel. That one sold for $322,000.

Some wooden nickels have the letters TUIT on them. The expression is "get around to it". Wooden nickels are commonly used today in coin clubs and shows. The most common having a buffalo or an Indian on one side, with the other side containing the advertising.

Wooden Nickels can have have been used for just about everything imaginable. A common one is for a cup of coffee at Sambo's restaurants. Some Wooden Nickels are for free while others offer something cheap.

Here are a few of mine. All 3 have the same Indian Head obverse. The coveted wagon reverse comes in 2 colors, black or red.
    IMG_3708.JPG

The Bicentennial Wooden Nickel from Edmonds, Washington was used at numerous stores in the downtown area for a specific period.
    IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3710.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I like wooden Nickels as they have a wide variety of issuers.
    20190521_161310.jpg 20190521_161304.jpg

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

This should be a wooden cent, it was way over valued!

S20190521_001-ccfopt.jpg
    S20190521_002-ccfopt.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  5. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sambo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    reverse same only with date (2007)

Goldsayshi463, Mike185, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have a few
    Most are flea market purchases..
    IMG_20170527_134852_8386.jpg IMG_20170527_134918_7577.jpg

#2 in the middle of course
    20180721_153937-1.jpg 20180721_154002-1.jpg

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is a wooden dollar I got from @lordmarcovan
    His business card from and old shop he had years ago.
    IMG_20170624_114519_9141.jpg
    GICbooth-04.jpg

8. Collecting Nut

Cheech9712 and Goldsayshi463 like this.
  9. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

10. Islander80-83

@techwriter- A Wooden Nickel collector!?!?! And they're in 2x2 flips! That is impressive. I wonder, are there high end/high value wooden nickels out there?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Very cool. I had five hundred made twenty years ago to advertise my little company. Still have a stack behind my desk. I opted for the “round tuit” version.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Islander, I have no idea about high end/high value ones; just picked them up for the fun of it and also because I knew many of the folks who "published" them.
    As for the 2x2s; I did most of them in my "spare" time.

13. Islander80-83

Very nicely done! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

16. Collecting Nut

Yes, a number of them exist and they also have a large number of Wooden Nickels that go for $25 and under but they will cost you more than $10.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

I wonder if a TPG grades these? If not, maybe I should develop a grading service for them.

John Skelton likes this.
  18. Islander80-83

Those are coins with real wood grain! :hilarious:

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here is a seldom-seen Dickel.

Dickel03.jpg

20. Collecting Nut

Now that's different. It looks a little bigger than a wooden nickel.

21. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Wooden nickels were once ubiquitous back in the pre-Internet days. I don't really see them much anymore. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw one or even heard of one. Very nostalgic. Unfortunately, a quick rummaging through some neglected drawers turned up nothing, so I must have parted with the few I had some time ago.

I definitely had one from Wall Drug at some point...

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted