woo!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

1862 $1 graded 63
    1862 $2 graded 30 EPQ

WW II emergency Hawaii $1 graded 64 EPQ

fr2151-G graded 64 EPQ

My first EPQs!!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

A PMG man i see :)

4. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

yes, they have done very well by me so far. I do believe tho, after my experience, that the volume of notes you send affects the grades partially. I have noticed better grading the more I send. My first 7 notes graded had not 1 EPQ, only 2 "good embossing" which is a partial EPQ from my understanding. I am about to send a couple of large batches, process is too slow to be conservative, the economy grading took almost 2 months.

5. mpcusa

It can sure be a pain waiting for those notes that,s for sure! the best way i found to eliminate allot of the cost as it can be substantial is to grade at the local show, i have
    One close by that PCGS grades at twice a year plus i get to look around to see if i can find something i need only takes one day to get my note back and there are no
    Express fee,s so it would be a total cost of $35 verse sending it in which would run an additional $68.00 i,am sure PMG offers a similar program :)

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

thats true, I have been meaning to get out to a show, I have a lot of notes/coins which arent worth getting graded due to the cost, but are still valuable obviously. Sadly it seems there isnt much activity around here in Jersey/NYC area.

7. mpcusa

I know there,s big shows in Chicago and Memphis not sure how long a drive that would be for you but if you have allot of notes it maybe worth your while :)

8. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Ill look into them, thanks :)

9. mpcusa

Anytime :)

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Personally, if this is true, I would not want to do business with TPG that grades by volume. One note, or 100 notes, it should not make a difference in grade.

11. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

every dealer I have spoken with, including heritage auction representatives indicate this happens with PCGS and PMG. With that said, that doesnt leave you with many options. Its a part of business, you do more regular/consist business, you get benefits.

12. mpcusa

It shouldnt matter how much business you do with them, there job is to be impartial and not be influenced in anyway! this would scare me if i new this was going on!

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This would amount to selling grades as opposed to selling their service. They would endanger their business and all that was graded before hand, if that statement had merit.

14. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I can imagine that this goes on with any business. They want to keep large customers coming back, when there are competitors out there that tend to over-grade. If that means rounding up, that's what they'll do. I doubt they would bump any grade where it's clear it wouldn't fit based on their own standards.

However, there are those unusual grades where it's hard to really gain consensus. If you have a note that can be between AU 50 and AU 53, they may round up to 53. Or between 53 and 55, may become a 55.

I doubt there is any policy like that in place. Perhaps an unspoken rule at the most. It's interesting to note that one individual at PMG grades a note and it is then audited by another, before the grade is finalized.

Squaredeal likes this.
  15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The only benefits I have ever heard of is either time or grading fees. I almost can't believe a Heritage Auction rep would say you get better grades with quantity.

16. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

they said quote "we send thousands of notes per year, you will get a better result if you have us submit them rather then yourself"

17. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

coulda been a sales tactic, but the reason im considering it, is my first set of notes, 2 mint notes received only good embossing comment, not epq, and they look amazing, and in same shape as my epqs.... doesnt make sense to me

18. mpcusa

Grading is very subjective at best, though it may look like a good note there are certain things that are not very visible which can affect the over all value
    Bottom line, just because it looks good doesnt mean it is!

19. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

what are possible reasons for having good embossing comment and not epq?

20. mpcusa

They obviously think there is an issue, remember embossing is only one element of the EPQ grading standard there is also ink and the over quality of the
    Paper the remarks good embossing are just part of it, would try and examine the note closer maybe there is a very slight ink smear it doesnt take much
    To knock it out of contention.

21. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

heres the notes in question FR 1890-G Front.jpg FR 1500 Back.jpg FR 1500 Front.jpg FR 1890-G Back.jpg FR 2400 Front.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted