Wondering what these might be worth. Errors on sequential uncirculated 1977 dollar bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by CSANDS, Dec 18, 2020.

1. CSANDS

CSANDS Member

I was given these dollars (with original bank paper roll) after going through some of my family old things. They have never been circulated and were kept in a plastic sleeve. As seen in the pictures the first dollar (374) was cut wrong and ripped. The second dollar (373) is cut right but has the back side of the dollar on the front and is printed over. After looking at different dollar errors on the internet I have not seen anything similar. I was kind of wondering what something like this might be worth. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not sure,
    It is neat that you have them as a pair cool notes.

CSANDS likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

IMG_20201031_072320384_MP.jpg He man , Welcome aboard . Let me start with the second one . That's called a Wet Ink Transfer Error . I have one I paid around $80 for . It's in better shape also . The first, I don't know what to say . I will wait also .

CSANDS likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wet ink transfers happen when, in error, a sheet of currency paper does not enter the press, the inked printing plate will contact the impression cylinder. When the next and subsequent sheets enter the press, they receive both the intended printing on the correct side and an impression on the opposite side from the ink left on the cylinder.

CSANDS likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

[​IMG]

IMO, this could happen if the bottom corner of the sheet got ripped off. When the sheet was printed, there was no paper for the reverse to print on so that part of the note has the obv and rev design.

CSANDS likes this.
  7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

That is quite an exceptional pair. As others have said how this happened I will not repeat. However, to have this pair of notes is exceptional! This is more than just bookends (notes above and below a note with an error) you have a note that caused the error and the error. I would guess that error note collectors would pay a hefty premium for this pair.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would hang on to it. :)

spirityoda and CSANDS like this.
  9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Very interesting pair.

The first thing I'd say to you @CSANDS is to get those notes into protective sleeves of archival quality.

I like your notes.

CSANDS likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Somehow the one not was ripped at the BEP which caused the ink to be printed on the second note. A nice error to have so get 2 currency sleeves to protect them. Welcome to CT.

CSANDS likes this.
  11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It would be nice if PMG certifies them together. They tell a story. I think it's amazing they slipped past QA.

CSANDS likes this.
  12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Great pair. Send the photos to Bianca at Executive Currency and she’ll ask her dad, Fred Bart, and expert in error notes. I’ll pm you her email address @CSANDS.

NOS and masterswimmer like this.
  13. CSANDS

CSANDS Member

Thank you very much for the help!

NOS likes this.
  14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

@CSANDS, I hope you'll keep this thread posted on what you find out -- that's a really cool pair!

Welcome to CoinTalk!

Pickin and Grinin and NOS like this.
  16. CSANDS

CSANDS Member

I will keep everyone up to date

17. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Only in the internet is this known as a wet ink transfer. In the hobby it is known as an offset transfer. If you know what offset printing is, you will understand the name.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

19. CSANDS

CSANDS Member

Thank you everyone for the opinions, knowledge, and help. The more the better.

Draft saved Draft deleted