Wondering what kind of error this could be and possible value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by anomalous howard, May 2, 2016.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Someone wasted a lot of time and effort to make an "error coin"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

I can echo the opinion of most in this thread and concur that this is post-strike damage. If its weight is normal, then this would be a variant on the "dryer coin" theme. The coin may have tumbled around in the fins of an industrial dryer. This converts the design to mush and relocates metal from the edge and rim onto both faces in the form of a thin apron. This would be the widest apron I've seen, but the effect is familiar.

Cascade and paddyman98 like this.
  4. mikediamond

It's also quite possible that this coin is underweight, as metal can be lost during the interminable tumbling it endured.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It's post mint damage. There is no process where this could happen at the mint.

6. Earle42

Earle42 Member

Maybe a dryer coin where someone "spooned" the rim down onto the surfaces?

7. anomalous howard

anomalous howard New Member

Mike, I think you are quite likely correct. After checking "dryer coin" I found some images similar to what I have. Like you said, none so extreme but close enough.
    Thanks.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/uploaded/earle42/20130305_Dryer_Coin_Lot_1_pic2.jpg

8. anomalous howard

anomalous howard New Member

Andres, do you have a photo of what you describe?

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The edge of the coin was upset to produce high-standing finned rims on both sides, which were subsequently folded over toward the center of the coin.

10. mikediamond

The 1977 5 cent coin was damaged outside the Mint. Whoever purchased it for $300 flushed his money down the toilet. We see the typical undersized coin with a thin apron which has molded itself to the underlying letters and numbers.

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Mike, you should introduce yourself to the newbies .
    I don't think they know who you are ....

12. mikediamond

As you wish. I write the Collector's Clearinghouse column for Coin World. I've written hundreds of articles for Coin World, Errorscope, and other magazines. I've described over a hundred new error types, subtypes, and effects.

paddyman98 and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted