Wondering what kind of error this could be and possible value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by anomalous howard, May 2, 2016.

1. anomalous howard

anomalous howard New Member

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

20160502_161747.jpg 20160502_161857.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, sorry I'll lateral this one to the next guy.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

POST MINT DAMAGE

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not an error. Damage.
    How it was done, no clue. But it didn't come from the mint like that.

TJ1952 likes this.
  6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It looks like it's rapped in copper.

7. anomalous howard

Any idea what could have done that?
    The diameter is smaller than normal but the rim of the coin is still there.

8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

The first thing that came to mind is brockage (spelling?). I don't know though

9. anomalous howard

Also, if you look a bit closely at the obverse, the letters RT of the word "LIBERTY" run up to Lincoln's back with no room for the Y.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very interesting for sure. I've never seen anything quite like it before. If it is post mint, it's a work of art.

11. anomalous howard

And if it's not post mint? I can't find any example of anything like it myself. I've spent days searching error coin pics and seen a lot of post mint examples too.

I've had it for about 10 years and never checked into it before. Mostly just forgot about it. It's one of those things that when you finally get around to checking, it's quite the nagging problem.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If it's not post mint then you may have something quite unique but it seems everyone so far is on the page of PMD. We are not always the do all, end all here but I would hang onto it until you might come across an error dealer, not just any old coin dealer, and present it in person for an evaluation. You might want to contact Fred Weinberg in Ca. who specializes in errors. Possibly send him this photo in an email for starters and see what he says. But by all means, do a little more leg work on this and please get back to us if you find something out. I will admit, there are a lot of folks who have a lot of time on their hands to create these type of things, but you just never know for sure until you have exhausted all your options.

Mickey in PDX and silentnviolent like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks like a strip of foil wrapped around it. You could peel it off, of course then you would have destroyed it. @mikediamond will have good input.

Insider likes this.
  15. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

acid, fire, building drop on it ...

16. anomalous howard

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try to contact him.
    Since the diameter is even a tiny bit smaller than a dime it's possible that it's a full penny's worth of material or it started out as a full penny then the outer circumference was evenly cut off with that part of it wrapped over the edge and then the rim was formed. Other than the obvious separation toward the central part of the "wrapping" it really appears to be part of the coin as it approaches the rim.
    The edge is smooth as if the rim was formed after it was wrapped.

But that might not make sense since the part that would be cut off would be longer than the resulting circumference and would then overlap itself after one time around...which it doesn't do.

Maybe I should get it weighed to see if it is a full penny's worth of copper.

Thanks again to everyone for your help .

17. Kentucky

Weighing is a good thought, I don't think it will take too long for Mike to show up.

18. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Wrapped

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Looks like it was heated then the metal was pushed from the rim toward the center and then circulated (just a guess)

20. Kentucky

What would happen if you tried to make a coin ring out of a cent by hammering or spooning the edges all around but then just folded the extra thin material down?

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. anomalous howard

That nearly sounds like a decent explanation. I don't know if it would be so smooth around the edge, no evidence of any hammering.
    And it's about as perfectly round as it could be. It rolls perfectly smoothly.
    It's hard to imagine what you describe could be done to such a degree so as to produce this thing in the state that it's in.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted