Wonderful scalptors ! Paulina / Mariniana

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aestimare, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

In the upcoming Baldwin's sale (Auction 28, 2 February 2019, Lot 15),
    https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=5619&category=183956&lot=4694939
    upload_2019-1-14_22-12-6.jpeg
    here is what we can find : an antoninianus of Mariniana tooled, and the professional didn't notice the anomaly of style of the portrait nor the crescent characteristic of antoniniani, while Paulina silver coins are denarii. Of course, just the legend has been carved.
    Dramatic or funny example !
    If you have such examples, don't hesitate ...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Yeesh, wrecking a $150 coin to try to make it into a $400 one...

I sincerely hope this one gets taken down before it comes to hammer.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

At least Baldwins called it a denarius. It is a mite heavy and the face is a bit petite for Paulina. Have you reported it to them?

5. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

No, I didn't. I tried to warn professionals in other situations, and the coins were though sold. In the present case, the crescent is a discriminant character. Impossible to say no, this is not a fake. I would be afraid this information would disappear.

I could spend a life informing about fakes, and some of CT members too. I did it and I lost many hours. And personally, I prefer informing the most fragile people, than teaching “experts”.

As far I can see, Doug, your efforts to support beginners and your educational attitude contribute to the persistence of knowledge. I think that informing Baldwin's is the best way to misinform people if the photo of this coin would disappear. Many of the photos have disappeared from many sales, and even though from forgerynetwork.com.

An error is not a shame. What you do with it explain if you decided to learn and grow, or if you don't want to...

Baldwin's has many other high skills. This is a minimal error.

6. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Much more Finn ! Thanks for your answer.
    Much more, cause antoniniani are not known for Paulina !

Draft saved Draft deleted