Won two auctions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mountain Man, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Have you ever wanted to add a specific note to your collection so you've bid on a couple of the items in close together auctions, and then won both of them? Well, I did so and now I'll have to have them graded and decide which one to keep.
    1918 National Currency SF $275 6-6-20.jpg
    1918 Note, San Francisco back.jpg
    1918 National Currency SF $300 6-10-20.jpg 1918 National Currency SF $300 6-10-20 back.jpg.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The second one has the Number of the Beast as part of its serial number. Whether that means it's the one to keep or the one to sell, or whether you'll be keeping both, I will leave up to you. ;)

They're lovely notes.

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i like em! not familiar with these but is the difference in the serial number normal?
    and is the longer serial number supposed to cover the signature?

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

If I had to pick just one, I’d go with the Elliot/Burke.

7. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Gorgeous; love that eagle design.

8. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Tough call. The second one has better centering and slightly sharper corners, but the 3 folds stand out more. Grade for grade the top one valued slightly higher.(IMO)

9. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Good job! Very similar condition, but I think the second one with the "Number of the Beast" is slightly more circulated because some details and colors are faded and slightly more worn out than the first one.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Both are very nice so why not keep both? I've seen these before but never tried to buy one. Can you please explain the difference in the serial number? The top one has 8 digits and the bottom one has 5 digits yet both are dated the same. The only difference I see is in the signatures.

11. Collecting Nut

Any difference in the signatures or is it because the bill is in better condition?

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The Elliot/Burke note has better eye appeal to me. If I could Frankenstein the two, I’d use the face of the Elliot/Burke and the back of the Tehee/Burke. In hand, the notes may look totally different.

Send them both in for grading before making the decision of which note to keep. They typically fetch a little more when graded.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Thanks. That's basically what I was thinking.

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

If they are crisp uncirculated, thinking a low A/U 50 - 55, can see some corner dings
    plus the margins on the rear of both seem to be running down hill, any folds at all
    would bring that down to XF.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Very nice notes.

I'd keep the May 20, 1914 :smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted