Women on $20s

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by micbraun, Mar 9, 2015.

1. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

I'll start by admitting I disapprove of any depiction of a person on our coins or currencies. I prefer the symbolism of freedom to prevail. That said, I never thought I'd see the day when our currency would be a discussion of color or genitalia.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Inevitably there would be a host of objections on who was chosen to appear on the $20 bill, but Harriet Tubman was possible the most courageous since she took the most risk in opposing slavery. Sadly to say, that still may be a political statement. Clara Barton's formation of the American Red Cross might be the most neutral. I would have liked to see Alice Paul. She is the most winsome and dragged us into believing women had as much right to vote as men. My mother appreciated this: she was able to consistently vote for Norman Thomas for president, much to the dismay of my father.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Obviously some did not go back as far as post #70. Action taken and will happen again if people want to revisit their personal political or racial beliefs.

5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I'm one for keeping everything the way it was. As long as our coins are not changed I suppose I can live with it.

I think they should still be spendable. Hoarding them won't change anything. In my opinion it would be a lot of hard work to try and demonetize any $20's with Andrew Jackson on them, have people return them, and collect from banks. I'm confident they will still be currency after we have the new series.

6. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I agree with your analysis. It's depicted on a new thread I just posted "Odd $20, as promised".
    As for confiscating it from me, that would be hard. I'm not an actual person, I only exist in cyberspace.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think our coins are too old and ugly and should be changed . Unfortunately our mint is sorely lacking in imagination and the newer shallow relief coins are just uglier than when they 1st came out . Then there's the cent alloy that corrodes on contact with anything . Give me coins with Miss liberty especially ones from 1908-'45 .

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  8. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I agree, if they want people more relevant to the past century rather than people who died over 100 years ago, Reagan and JFK would be good choices. Martin Luther King, Jr. if they want somebody who's black.

9. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

There's too many for them to be worth anything

10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I do not care. One day many many moons from now. lol. I will not use the new 20.00

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

why? Let me withdraw that.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

If the answer is something that should be posted to partisanlines.com rather than this forum, please refrain from posting it here ...

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and Kentucky like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My apologies!

chrisild likes this.
  14. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

15. Key70

Key70 New Member

16. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

An excellent article/essay as to what is factually known about Tubman...
    edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016
  17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I think this is the real issue, just like Susan B Anthony. With all the pictures available, can't they pick something that is more flattering to the candidate? If not, an artist rendering would be kinder. It's like choosing my drivers license photograph as a remembrance for my family. I doubt either of these two women would have chosen these profiles to represent themselves.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    rzage likes this.
  18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I think too much emphasis is being put on physical looks.

Let's face it, there have been some very homely men on our currency.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    gsalexan likes this.
  19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Thank you I couldn't express it better .

20. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

You have every right to edit what you please, but, could you give me an idea as to why?

rzage likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It shouldn't be necessary for anyone to feel the need to "defend" their beliefs or views, but when other blatantly political statements are allowed to stand unquestioned, it's bound to happen. With all due respect, sir; would it not be wiser to simply remove the initial political post, even if it just happens to be something personally agreed with, instead of singling out those countering it with accusations of "sexism" or pigeonholing views as being based upon religion?

Draft saved Draft deleted