Women on $20s

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by micbraun, Mar 9, 2015.

1. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Bman33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Am I reading this right...they are not taking away Jackson, Hamilton, Lincoln but just adding to them with politically correct stuff? If so that's not too bad.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If, as you said, symbols are so important, then why is the symbol of Ms. Liberty - a WOMAN if you like it or not - unacceptable, and what is so terribly wrong with returning to the (at least should-be) neutral? Just because something has been done, rather foolishly imo, since 1947, does that mean we must continue and do so to pander to hypocrites?

If it "doesn't make much material difference who or what our coins and currency commemorate", then why keep injecting race into the discussion? Each time you whine about the horrid white men presently depicted, you show your true colors and that race is at the very heart of your issue. Had you only wished to voice an opinion that more modern/recent individuals should grace our money, race should play no part. If you want to get rid of them, that's great; it wouldn't break my heart to see a change, but replacing one once-living person with another, primarily because of their race or sex, is nothing more than history repeating itself and for all the wrong reasons even if it fits perfectly with today's politically correct nonsense.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

So they picked Harriet Tubman, talk about making our bills uglier . ;)

*wolf7* likes this.
  6. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I will hoard my A.J. 20s now.

*wolf7*, eddiespin and Bman33 like this.
  7. *wolf7*

*wolf7* Member

At least they didn't pick Rosa Parks. That's some consolation.
    On the other hand, the only real choice was Miss Liberty.

rzage likes this.
  8. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

My point was an allegorical image in female form is not a depiction of an actual woman. Why are you so adamant that a real woman not be depicted?
    I didn't do any whining. I wrote about historical events. It is a fact to say all the people depicted on our money are white men, and four of them owned people. You seem to consider some facts offensive. That's not my problem. It's Yours.
    There is nothing "politically correct" in saying the images on our money should be more representative of who we are as a nation than they are now. That means some people other than white men should be included in the mix. A non-politician or two would be a good idea as well. Saying that is neither anti-white nor anti-male, it is in fact pro-American. E Pluribus Unum - Out of many, one people.
    Please stop using me as a foil for your resentments. I'm here to interact with friends, not to act as a straight man for an unpleasant person who confuses bile with wit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Pere likes this.
  9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I hate political correctness.

Evan8 and *wolf7* like this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Is it smart to hoard Jackson's now? Never collected paper money so I don't know much about it.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Forum Correctness is that political discussions are not allowed here, take it to the alternative site partisanlines.com as several of you have crossed the line. No further warnings. Thanks Jim

12. desertgem

No.

13. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I really don't wish to discuss politics here, except to the extent it affects the way money looks and functions.
    With that it mind, I have a freaky 1985 $20 FRN (it's got Jackson on it, so it's topical, and stuff) It missed the third printing, and was hand cut from a half sheet with scissors. It circulated for a while, was retrieved from circulation in Las Vegas before finally ending up in my collection. Anybody wanna see?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  14. desertgem

It would probably be better to start this subject in a different thread, as it is more likely to "continue" the arguments that were removed, and that would not work for several.

15. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

OK. I can't post an image until I go get it from the SDB and make an image anyway.

16. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Well if it's adding women to the design without removing current portraits then it's not so radical. My only issue is that the redesign seems to be driven by sales. Seems like the BEP is taking a page out of the mint's playbook and tapping into the collector marketplace (collector pockets).

rzage and eddiespin like this.
  17. Gipper1985

Gipper1985 Junior Member

I was all ready to be annoyed by this, but after thinking about the idea is growing on me. Harriet Tubman seems like a true American hero. In the sense that she risked her own life over and over again for the cause of freedom.

For people who are not pleased I am sure there will be a number of old 20's around for years to come. The world seems to be moving away from paper money, anyway.

As a final thought, as novice/casual collector, it is always fun to see something new, especially if you can hang on to an example or two of the "old" design. Not because they will be worth anything, it is fun to see the difference in hand.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How about simple politeness?

19. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Today's New York Times says it will be Harriet Tubman.

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I just don't think any once living person should be on our money . Let's go back to allegorical themes like Miss Liberty , or some of our true heroes such as 1st responders , people of the military even go back to things that make America unique like the American Bison (sorry I stole your idea Chris) or the Boeing 787 Dream liner .

Evan8 likes this.
  21. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

No sheets of $20's were issued in the '80s. If you have a $20 with no third printing that was clearly cut from a partial sheet (as opposed to just having irregular edges because it was an ordinary miscut error), then it may well have left the BEP under less-than-legitimate circumstances. The government has been known to confiscate such things when they turn up, FYI.

More likely, though, you've got some kind of folding-and-cutting error. In which case, yes, you should show it off because it's pretty cool. :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted