Wives Can Be So Cruel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Last Saturday I took my six year old to a coin show. So these last few evenings after dinner and homework, he likes getting his little box of coins and bringing them in the den while he peruses the Redbook hunting down his little gems. So last night I ask him if he wants to look up some of my favorite coins. He is all in so I handed him the gorgeous seated dollar below out of my "favorites" box. The boy is suitably impressed. Just then my wife walks by and asks what the fuss is about. The boy hands her the dollar as I poke my chest out and say, "She is near perfect for a 160 year old". Wife shrugs her shoulders and says, "Looks kind of scratched up to me"...... I am currently researching to see if this is grounds for a divorce in my state....

.jpg

wood_ster, imrich, green18 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Randy, it sounds like your wife could be a good grader for CAC:). She seems very discriminating in her coin appreciation tastes.

Yes, wives can be very cruel: my wife once dusted (!!!) my coins while doing the weekly cleaning, as my coins sat peacefully on open trays on the windowsill....I almost fainted. She said that they looked a 'little dusty' and needed a good cleaning.
    I think that dusting cost me a few 1000$...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Eduard.... You just sent shivers down my back reading that!!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

...and after she said "it looks kind of scratched up", I bet you looked at it again and said.......Hmmmmm, she's right.

And the moral of the story.......Wives usually are.!

6. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Ouch, my wife has never dusted my coins before, although cleaning my office in the house is strictly my duty, so this wouldn't have been a possibility. Nonetheless, the mere thought gives me chills. I often try to share my enthusiasm for numismatics with my wife, and like a good sport, she goes along with it, but I know she still wonders why I am so fascinated with small pieces of metal. In the earlier stage of our marriage, I would hand her a slabbed coin to look at, and she would say something like, "oh, thats neat". Now I can give her a slabbed coin, and she makes comments about the design, luster, and color. Overall she is tough to impress. In fact, my avatar is the only coin that she is impressed with so far.

Eduard and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Guess it would have been impolitic to point out that 'she' might be a little 'scratched up', if she was 160 years old...maybe that's why I an a bachelor......LOL!
    Just Joshing Randy, really nice silver dollar,
    J.T.

8. Randy Abercrombie

LOL!!!! I wish I would have thought of that!!

9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Speaking of wives. I recently posted this on another thread:

I've read here more then once, where guys have misplacing coins. And I'm thinking, how the heck does someone actually lose a coin from their collection?? I'm just shaking my head thinking, no way in hell would I ever lose or misplace one of my coins!

Well, the past stinkin 6 weeks I've been going through that hell! :banghead::banghead: I misplaced or lost one!! It wasn't just a coin, it was a slabbed coin. A 2019 W quarter, MS67. Not a major cost but I went through a major effort to find it and get it graded.

Talk about anxiety?!?! It was the feeling of anxiety and anger on my part at the same time . :arghh: I was going nuts for 6 weeks, tearing the house apart. :bigtears::rage: I showed it to some friends and had it out of the house a few times. In my mind, I was trying to back track on exactly where I saw it last.

My wife (if course) found it yesterday in one of the pockets of my cargo jeans, hanging in my closet. I'm also glad I didn't throw them in the wash!! :banghead::banghead: I owe her a dinner night out! She's a lifesaver and a saint!

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Look at the bright side Eduard . . . at least she didn't polish them free of that darned tarnish.

11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Yep, my wife has 0 interest in coins, seldom even looks at them. But when I show her a silver dollar, it takes her about two seconds to point out every flaw on it. Beats me.

Chuck_A and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My wife knows that my collection is sort of a savings account.
    Since I'm 4 years older than her and have mistreated myself I figure I'll be the first to go.
    And she knows who to give the collection to in order to cash it in.

Chuck_A and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

ME ME ME!!!

14. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

If it was her you said while talking to your son "she is near perfect for a 160 year old" I'm sure that would be grounds for divorce in any State, women have sharp ears as well. I was trying to explain to my wife a "no cents nickel" (she has a cold) and she said all that I see is e pluberum uberums, I said exactly honey that's what it says.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

If the coins were all slabbed no harm would have been done :)

calcol, Randy Abercrombie and C-B-D like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Dang I miss that dollar! And I can't believe she missed a PL designation!

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Freakin' mental cruelty.......absolutely grounds for divorce. But you want to maybe rethink things a bit old friend. :)

Ya wanna stay rich? Stay married...... devil.gif

And for the politically correct 'pukes' out there, I know Randy was kidding.......

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You want to stay richer, stay single.

john59, green18 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  19. green18

But it can be oh so lonely, but I get your 'drift' dear fellow........:)

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Why does it cost so much to get a divorce?

... because it's worth it!

21. green18

Unless there are children involved. Child support is gonna lay a heavy burden upon the absent Dad, unless he can wrest custody from the Mom. Prepare to eat 'Raman' for the next 10 or twenty years, and sequester in a friends spare room or cellar.......

Draft saved Draft deleted