With rising unemployment when will coin market crash?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derek2200, May 14, 2020.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Well I have found this interesting discussion. I have sensed the coin market has been going down even though the coin that I pursue continues to climb faster than I can save, the 1934 S peace dollar in mint state. I base my opinion not on the PCGS 3000 but that two of my LCS have gone out of business and I just don't see a lot of young folks in the shop nor at shows anymore. Most collectors are older and times are changing. I fear the hobby will go the way of stamps. I can't figure out weather to hold or sell some of my collection? What will the younger generation want to collect as they age? I'm sure this COVID 19 will only cause some of those dealers who rely on shows or those with shops will go out of business which makes it hard for young people to get excited about coins when they can not see or hold them, only so much can be done online.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the series or mint year, but I see that MS65's might sell for a few thousand dollars.

Doubt that because of the bullion angle, but purely numismatic coins like Barbers, Franklins, SLQ's, etc....I can see a long-term trend down for these over time. Some threads here and on CU detailing big price drops last 10 years or so. But I'll defer to experts who've followed these series for decades.

Hard to say...I certainly wouldn't INVEST in coins, even bullion, except with $$$ that you don't need now and don't care what they sell for in 10 or 20 or 30 years.

For myself....I collect gold bullion and silver bullion, including commemoratives in high-grades (i.e., Mercanti Saint-Gaudens High Relief silvers; no gold's yet). I don't care if I am paying 100-200% premiums on the lower-priced stuff, I'm just buying 1 or 2 or 3 of them, not dozens or hundreds.

For gold, I am more price-sensitive because it's much more expensive. My main numismatic investments are Saint-Gaudens coins because here you have bullion, quasi-numismatic, and pure numismatic (big premium to underlying bullion price). I feel that even though higher-priced that Saints will always have a bid. Ditto Morgan SD's, which I have a few of but much less $$$-wise.

We've debated the "are there fewer coin collectors now than decades ago"....no clear answers. Internet is a plus....larger population is too...but clearly much more distractions today than 30 years ago let alone 50-60 years ago when some of the vets here were in their teens. Unlikely that coin collecting becomes like stamps, but certain types of coins seem to have many fewer bidders today than years ago.

If that's the case...then stick with what you REALLY LIKE irrespective of price, or just stick with type coins that are likely to have a bid underneath even if the exact amount isn't known, as for with Saint-Gaudens and/or Morgan Silver Dollars.

4. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

The post says a 1909-P $10 Indian. It shows a picture of a 1909 $10 Indian without any mintmark. As you pointed out they also didn't make a 1909-O $10 Indian. I do have a circulated $5 Indian but I forget the date & didn't post it here. Probably 1911 or 1912; also no "O".

I may or may not have written 1909-O Indian but if I corrected it, it would've been soon after the original posting as it's clearly a 1909-P Indian. Look at the picture.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

The constant downtrend in the US coin market has made it difficult for players get retail money due to stagnant or declining wholesale bids. For one to have a viable successful coin business one has to be able retail their merchandise at a decent margin which allows them to make money after COGS, variable and fixed costs.

Many have moved to other numismatic areas like world or currency in pursuit of a chance to make a positive return.

I was about to trash my Jan CDN but decided to track certain series vs current where they provide a bottom line total.

At shows one has to pursue strong buyers and push away (ignore) tire kickers, many vest pocket traders, dealers looking buy below bid. One guy (tire kicker?) had the gall to say to me at my table at a show about a PQ slabbed SLQ I had quoted a price on “I only buy below bid because I wholesale to dealers.” I told him “that’s funny (laughing) I don’t sell below bid why don’t you go find one.”

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted