With rising unemployment when will coin market crash?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derek2200, May 14, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What stuff are you interested in ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

The prices that Rick has on his shows are crazy. Sure, they are in slabs from NGC and PCGS, but I have seen slabbed coins with the same grade for a lot more. Is television markets going to fail? I only bought 1 coin from a television show and it was early on. Not sure what I am going to do. My wife and I are both retired state employees as well as social security retirement income. We own two homes, both paid for. Four cars, all but one is paid for. We live in the country surrounded by farmers that my wife taught 3 generations and they love her. We, frequently find a bag, box, or bushel full of fruit and vegetables. My wife (and her mother..now passed) canned every year. We are very fortunate. I only worry about my children, now in their 40's and 50's. However, I told them the same thing my Dad told me when I got married in 1968..."You are on your own now." I love my children, but they need to learn to take care of themselves. My coin collection was inherited and I buy from the Mint a couple times a year (Last year, a bit more.)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

I've quoted actual prices in othe threads, but it seems that Rick's infomercials have prices about 25-30% over FMV, based on actual Ebay or HA sales.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

1. A couple Classic Head Half Cents up in the VF/XF range.

2. Die marriages Capped Bust Half Dimes
    The main problem here is most are on eBay and the pictures are so bad I can't ID the variety.
    And the ones in slabs are in high grades that are too expensive for a set that isn't primary for me.

3. Competing my Early Commemoratives in MS-64 ±1 grade.

4. Waiting in the wings are Draped Bust Half Cents and Matron Head Large Cents.
    I'm leaning strongly towards EAC material.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I guess it depends on how ones reads your comment, but if you are saying you subtract 20% from your bids, that easily explains why you're not winning auctions.

Ya see, buyers fees, S&H, that's all part of the cost of the coin - always has been. There are no plus this plus that, or minus this minus that - there is only 1 cost, the total amount. With every coin you buy, no matter where or from whom you buy it - those buyers fee and S&H numbers are already added into the price you pay.

The only difference is when you're buying coins from dealers or private individuals they don't tell you they've already added those extra dollars to their price - but they most definitely have added them ! With auction houses, they tell you they have added them and break them out separately. But the total number is still the same.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

As to the question in the OP, it is the exact opposite.
    These economic hardships have caused collectibles (baseball cards and coins)
    to create more demand and prices have gone up.
    When silver and gold go higher, coin prices across the board always go up.

8. GDJMSP

Apparently you don't understand how the index works - there are no weights. The index, the part that we see move up and down, is a single dollar amount, plain and simple. And that total dollar amount is determined by the cost of each individual coin (all 3,000 of them) at a given point in time. Some of those coins will have gone up, others will have gone down. But the movement on the graph is determined by the total amount being more or less than it was previously.

Well, that's where you're wrong - that rising tide does not lift all boats when it comes to coins. To see that you're wrong all you have to do is look at spot price charts and then look at the prices of coins with numismatic value, and you'll quite often and quickly see that while spot prices are going up, the price of the coins is going down.

You're right that coins that do not have numismatic value rise or fall the spot price. But coins with numismatic quite often do not.

9. GDJMSP

No, they do not.

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Wow, agree with Doug twice in one day! (Drum roll!). The indices are NOT weighted. By definition, an index value is a constant, much as it is in Chemistry. When I was a professor of English, I made sure that my students who did numerical historical research use fixed values for the constants, as is the custom. Can values drop? Sure, and given the severity of the Pandemic, they will. However, the criteria for determining the fluctuations remains the same.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Which is the problem with it, everything is treated equally and you never get a real picture looking at everything as a whole

12. GDJMSP

I strongly disagree. It is only by looking at the market as whole that you DO get a real picture of the trend of the market ! And that is precisely why the index was composed as it was. And if one wishes to look at the trend of individual portions of the market you can easily so by looking at the sub-indexes.

And when the index as whole is going down, and all of the sub-indexes are going down - it's pretty hard, I'd say downright impossible, to argue that the market is going up ! That IS the real picture !

13. baseball21

That's only true when the market is actually segmented into it's actual market. Trying to say that all coins are one market is the same as trying to say the oil and electric and coal is all the energy market, or that fish is part of the meat market. Whether it be stocks, commodities or hobbies there will always be stuff going up when the rest is going down and stuff going down when the rest is going up.

When you mix to many different unrelated things into one index you end up with something that tells you a lot about nothing. You cant just throw the kitchen sink into something and get any meaningful information, until major changes are made to the index it is absolutely worthless

14. GDJMSP

Why don't don't you just say what you're trying to say ? The point you're trying to make is that the index does not reflect the rise or fall of individual coins. And that some coins may actually be going up in price. And you'd be right, some probably are !

But here's the thing, a few coins going up in price do NOT reflect the trend of the market as a whole. And that is precisely what the purpose of the index is - to show the trend of the market as a whole !

Worthless ? Hardly so, the index does exactly what it is supposed to do. Ya see, those few coins that are going up, they're being accounted for in the index because they're in there. But there are so very many more that are going down, that the effect on the index of those going up is largely negated. And if it wasn't for those few that are going up, the index would be falling even faster than it already is !

Tater likes this.
  15. baseball21

I've said that a million times before.

There is no market as a whole for anything. There are segments that sometimes get lumped together and are called a market and if you look that the "big market" as opposed to the segments you have no idea what is actually happening. Index is attempting to treat coins as stocks, and just like in actual stocks and it is especially egregious for it's horrendous composition which is especially outdated today. There are more than enough things in that index that unless PM prices spike it will never really do much

16. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Yes there is.

The Pcgs 3000 shows a good picture as the market as a whole and is independent of some biased hot air dealer blog. Segment indexes also available. The trend seems headed down and does not appear to have reached bottom.

The market has been in a steady slide for sometime (Pcgs) 3000x A crash may be on the horizon with possibility of bankruptcy major players. Will one TPG acquire the other?

Yes there are those heavily buried in big ticket coins or wealthy dealers and investors who will argue otherwise. They are the end user. I believe US coins overpriced as I am buying low pop world for a fraction of their US counterparts (pop wise).

Many who have lost jobs in this covid environment may find jobs but many of these new jobs may be a step down. Others due to age bias may not find anything at all due to a job market full of unemployed younger workers. A sort of covid double whammy. As bankruptcies and credit card defaults mount people will be more about survival vs buying coins. Many forced into retirement due to covid may be filing bankruptcy like a lot of them after oil price crash in 2015. One friend in coin club forced into Early retirement, depression then credit card / default as a consequence from oil price crash on $28 k cc debt. He settled it for about 40c on dollar. Covid fallout wb much worse.

Consequently a coin market crash is a very strong possibility. In addition players will cut back on paid subscriptions using free online price guides plus a reduction in grading submissions / stickering.

Many tired of taking losses going to bullion. This is understandable considering the weakness in US numismatic coins (PCGS 3000).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Tater and EyeAppealingCoins like this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

If they are all equal, then every coin is 1/3,000th of the total index.

If it's based on the PRICE of the coin, then it's a price-weighted index like the DJIA. So if a $20,000 1907 High Relief coin goes up 10% and a $50 coin goes down 10%, the index is going up by $1,995, all else equal.

18. GoldFinger1969

Yes, they move with lags but if the move is SUSTAINED and STEADY then numismatics will rise in value.

The prices diverge when the derivative or 2nd rate of change turns NEGATIVE and/or when the drop (or rise) ACCELERATES and the move is not believed sustainable.

Numismatic buyers/sellers tend to try and discount the next 2 years of price moves, whereas most asset buyers look at the next few months. :D

19. GoldFinger1969

Right, it's a price-weighted index and like the NASDAQ with the FAANG stocks, it's a narrow-driven market and the bulk of the PCGS 3,000 are falling.

Equal-weight the sucker and the drop is probably more prnounced from the recent and all-time highs.

20. GDJMSP

Goldfinger I don't know how you use the word "weight" in this context, but if the index is weighted that means that 1 particular item counts more, or less, than another particular item. But that is not the case PCGS 3000 Index - not in any way.

The movement of the index is tracked based on the value of the whole - that's all it is. A simple way of explaining it is that you take 3000 coins in given grades, and you put them all into 1 basket. The value of each individual coin added together determines the value of the basket. And it is that total amount that moves up and or down over time - and that's what's tracked - 1 single dollar figure.

This is why I say there is no weight. No individual item counts any more or any less than any other item. It's not a "price weighted" index, it's a "price based" index. And they do not mean the same thing.

21. GoldFinger1969

Doug, I am hearing contradictory things in your explanation of the PCGS 3,000.

It's very simple....if each coin is 1/3,000th of the index -- if a common Buffalo Nickel counts the same as a 1907 HR Saint -- then it's an equal-weighted index in my mind.

If it's weighed by PRICE -- if a 5% move in a $20,000 Saint is +$1,000 whereas a 5% move in a $100 Buffalo Nickel is $5 -- then it's price-weighted.

It can't be both...has to be one or the other.

I know I come from a financial background but an index is an index. Just have to figure out how it is computed.

Draft saved Draft deleted