With A Little Help From My Friends?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tommyc03, Feb 22, 2017.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

img985.jpg img986.jpg I'm back to impose upon the good will of all you knowledgeable and kind folks in this thread, that maybe you might help me identify this ancient. Thanking you in advance for your kindness. Tom

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

It is a coin, probably Roman.

gregarious likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Julian II as Caesar?

Orange Julius and randygeki like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The reverse is not orientated correctly here. In hand there appears to be a person, on the right, facing left holding something in their hand. I know it's really rough. Thanks Doug.

6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Looks like a late Roman bronze coin, reverse might be the common "soldier spearing fallen horseman" type. Doug's guess of Julian II seems as plausible as any- if I squint I can _almost_ convince myself that the obverse legend has "IVLI".

Orange Julius and gregarious like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There is lettering on the obverse from about 9-11K. Thank you.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow, that coin is pretty weak ... otherwise I'd be on that coin-ID like nuthin'!!

:bear:

Good luck with your coin-sleuthing, tommy (I hope it's a diamond in the rough)

gregarious likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Nahhh, nothing valuable for sure. It was part of a very dirty lot I got maybe 10 years ago that I'm finally getting to cleaning. I think the whole lot was $10 for about 15 pieces. But I have no knowledge whatsoever on ancients, this just being a passing fancy for the nonce. I'm more interested in the historical significance than anything. A couple of the pieces are so small I can't even hold them with tweezers and they are not chips of coins but perfectly or nearly so, round. And we thought the trime was small.

stevex6 likes this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

again => it's awesome that you're still enjoying your $10 investment (man, now that is money well spent!!)

Have a great night, tommy

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

He looks bareheaded. I like Doug's suggestion best. But if it's not Julian, I'd guess Constantius Gallus as Caesar. Might the letters correspond to the FL CL of the legend DN FL CL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES? Those letters are to the left of the ear on the obverse of those coins. A guess for a pretty rough coin.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

In hand it looks more like a hood or shroud over the head. Thanks.

13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Nah, that's just a fourth-century mullet. Bad House of Constantine haircut. Never get your hair cut there. And be careful if Constantius II is doing the cutting. He'll take your whole head off. Just ask Hannibalianus.

My spidey sense tells me that reverse is a fallen horseman reverse. So it can't be some Constantinian memorial coin. But again, the coin is in such bad shape, my spidey sense might be way off.

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think Julian II as well

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

So I see it was a very short reign of only three/four years (AD 360-363) Son-Procopius, wife-Helena. THIS is where I so much enjoy the history. ( rather than a poor condition coin) The consensus seems to be Julian II and I thank you all very much.

Ajax likes this.
  16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

With such a poorly preserved coin it will be difficult and we all see things that maybe others dont. I vaguely see Constantius Gallus, spearing horseman reverse.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I see poo.

All joking aside, I'd be really surprised if anyone can definitively ID this coin.

Alegandron and Ajax like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These are the two most likely types for Julian as Caesar under Constantius II. His portraits as Augustus were very different. Every mint had slightly different style. I believe I imagined or read enough legend to call it Julian but, honestly, it is not really a keeper. I hope the rest of the group was better.
    rx7320bb2215.jpg rx7340bb0201.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted