witch one you want Caracalla

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, May 25, 2015.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Why these post to get some advice to buy one

These coins are from the same emperor tooled and smoothed, and are almost the same price.

witch one you, you think it is a fare coin. Offcourse i can be wrong
    i think coin 1 is a fair coin.

coin 1 smoothed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coin 2 tooled coin and from ebay

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I am terrible at this since I have a hard time seeing the tooling on the second coin. And since the choice is between the two presented, my choice would be coin #2

JBGood likes this.
  4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply, coin 1 looks to me
    he comes out the ground. And had his ages:facepalm:

5. Bing

Coin #1 looks like it was holed and then filled in or something egregious like that.

6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

i though it was dameged though disease/ of damged though hit a stone of something like that.

7. Bing

You may be right, but here is a Julius Caesar Denarius I have that was previously holed and then filled:
    Julius Caesar 7.jpg

ro1974 likes this.
  8. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This coin is not mine.
    Yours one is intersant, this one is holed to a sesterius see his face

9. Bing

Yours is just as interesting or more. I love the reverse.

ro1974 likes this.
  10. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

It is not mine. I need more a advice.:) thanks. I am think to buy one

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I can see the smoothing on the 1st coin and because of a thread on tooling I recently spent some time on---learning what to look for---I can see the 'tooling' on the details of the second, whereby they are far too distinctly high relief in comparison to the general lower area around them (specifically the hair)....but the second does have the intended effect: it has greater eye-appeal than the first. I assume the second is the higher priced coin---if it were of similar value, I'd probably buy the second, unless they both were excessively priced.....

I take it you find 'smoothing' less disturbing than 'tooling' ?? And, if that is how you feel, you should follow your gut instincts and preferences...

ro1974 likes this.
  12. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I like the second one, it's got better detail and overall appeal.

ro1974 likes this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

1 looks damaged and repaired, as Bing mentioned. I don't like 2 at all - obvious tooling of fine detail that the coin probably didn't have even when it was newly struck.

Mikey Zee and ro1974 like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Witch witch is which? Sorry.......carry on.........

ro1974 and stevex6 like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> run-away from both and wait for an obvious winner (you're always gonna look at those coins and think of their flaws)

16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I don't like the look of coin 2 at all. The hair, beard and laurels have all been reworked. The reverse looks to have been very extensively reworked. How much of what is visible is new? How much is ancient detail? A very personal opinion. I would prefer the damaged coin but would more likely spend my money on something else instead.

17. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

I run away from both, thanks all for the advice!!!!!!!!!!

David Atherton and stevex6 like this.
  18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm glad to read you have decided to leave both coins alone...The first is too damaged and 'smoothed' to be worth any more than about $5-$10.00 in my opinion...and the second far too extensively 'tooled' to be anything I would touch for any more than about $20.00.....Waiting for the coin you truly want---patience---is always the best strategy.

Any alteration of a coins actual metal surface should always be a cause for major concern and reconsideration...I've always agreed that an 'ugly' coin gets uglier each passing day'....whatever the reason for its 'unattractive' state.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    ro1974 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted