Winged Bust of Liberty, Mars and a cool Apex

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It seems appropriate that my last purchase for the month of September would be a 'Republican' since a quarter of my collection falls within that general time period. True to form, this denarius significantly differs from those I have. The atypical obverse bust of Liberty caught my eye and that cool reverse compelled me to place a competitive bid. And a bit of research revealed a rather interesting moneyer named L Valerius Flaccus who struck this coin 108/107 BC during the bloodily turbulent times of Marius and Sulla---not to mention still circulating during the ascension of Julius Caesar. Rather than bore those with little interest in moneyers---a common preliminary to the political career track for young men of senatorial rank---I'll provide a Wikipedia link below.

What about the coin itself? It's graded at 'extremely fine', well centered and includes all those wonderful devices already mentioned. Of particular interest to me was the references to the 'priestly' offices held by the moneyer and his ancestors....

Apex the hat worn by certain Roman priests, originally referring to the rod or spike surmounting the headdress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In ancient Roman religion, the Flamen Martialis was the high priest of the official state cult of Mars, the god of war. He was one of the flamines maiores, the three high priests who were the most important of the fifteen flamens. The Flamen Martialis would have led public rites on the days sacred to Mars. Among his duties was the ritual brandishing of the sacred spears of Mars when the Roman army was preparing for war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Valerius_Flaccus_(princeps_senatus_86_BC)

Please feel free to pile on:)

rr valerius flaccus.jpg

L. Valerius Flaccus, Denarius, Rome, 108 or 107 BC; AR (g 3.85; mm 19; h 3); Draped and winged bust of Victory r.; before, *, Rv. Mars advancing l., holding spear and trophy; behind, corn ear; before, apex and L VALERI / FLACCI. Crawford 306/1; Valeria 11; Sydenham 565. Cabinet tone, extremely fine.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Nyatii, RAGNAROK, Theodosius and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Nice coin! And writeup!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Your new coin is the bomb. Very nice indeed. Here is my example: L VALERIUS FLACCUS.jpg

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Outstanding! I think you really hit it out of the park with that one, Mikey.

I'm still looking for a reverse...

IMG_6577.JPG

6. Mikey Zee

:rolleyes: Thanks guys!!!:)

I feel especially fortunate to have won this example since I seemed to consistently lose out on all the others I bid on this month:eek:....and this denarius went right up to my maximum:wideyed:. Hmmm, that means it's also within @zumbly's current thread/range shipped.:D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This is one of my favorite busts on republic coins. Mine was also one of the first time I spent more than $100 for 1 coins when I got into ancients.

Still don't regret it and still, love it to this day.

[​IMG]
    L. Valerius Flaccus, (108 - 107 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Winged and draped bust of Victory right, X below chin.
    R: LVALERI / FLACCI (downwards on left), Mars walking left, spear in right, trophy in left over shoulder, apex left, head of grain behind.
    Rome
    20.0mm
    3.89g
    SRCV I 183, Sydenham 565, Crawford 306/1, RSC I Valeria 11

RAGNAROK, Theodosius, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  8. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

All I can pile on is the number of posts saying, "wow, great looking coin!"

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin of better style, congrats

Q

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. Mikey Zee

I LOVE the interesting array of styles!! Terrific posts everyone!!

12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin Mikey Zee, with a busy reverse, love it.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL

GerardV likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Really nice @Mikey Zee ! Great write-up and nice Denarius!

I have one of those! I think Mars left his head in the Apex that is on the floor...

upload_2017-9-23_15-50-51.png
    RR L VALERIUS FLACCUS AR Denarius 108-107 BCE Rome Winged draped bust Victory r X - Mars stndg spear trophy apex grain ear Crawford 306-1 Sear 183

RAGNAROK, GerardV, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Gotta love the portrait of Victory though.

GerardV, Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

For just over $100, that's an exceptional bargain!!:)

That gave me a LOL too:D

Thanks guys for all the cool posts!!!

GerardV likes this.
  17. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Great coin, thanks for the write up as well.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted