Featured William I.......AKA William The Conqueror

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, May 6, 2020.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

William I (c. 1028 – 9 September 1087), usually known as William the Conqueror and sometimes William the Bastard, was the first Norman King of England, who ruled England from 1066 until his death in 1087. He was Duke of Normandy and a descendant of the Viking Rollo (who was portrayed as the brother of the legendary Ragnar Lodbrok in the TV series 'The Vikings', although I'm not sure if this is historically accurate).

William was the illegitimate son of the unmarried Robert I, Duke of Normandy and his mistress. His illegitimate status and youth caused some difficulties after he succeeded his father. However, his marriage in the to Matilda of Flanders provided him with a powerful ally.

William I launched the Norman Conquest of England as a contender for the throne of England, upon the death of his first cousin once removed, Edward the Confessor, who died without any issue.

William decisively defeated and killed Harold Godwinson (Harold II) at the Battle of Hastings on 14 October 1066 and after further military successes, he was crowned king on Christmas Day 1066 in London.

He is best known for ordering the compilation of the Domesday Book in 1086, a survey listing all the land-holdings in England along with their pre-Conquest and current holders. He died in September 1087 while leading a campaign in northern France. His life was marked by struggles to consolidate his hold over England and by difficulties with his eldest son, Robert Curthose. After his death Normandy went to Robert, and England went to his second surviving son William II.

William I, the Conqueror (1066-1087) Penny ND, PCGS AU Details (Cleaning), Shaftesbury mint, Godesbrand as moneyer, PAXS type, 19mm., 1.35gm. Rare mint and mintmaster. Sharply struck, with evidence of prior cleaning.

William I The Conqueror Obv.jpg

William I The Conqueror Rev.jpg

TheRed, Sulla80, galba68 and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coin & addition, congrats.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Would give my eye teeth for one of these.

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice! I’ve been keeping an eye out for one with the stars on it (although I don’t have the budget for one...). I have snagged a couple from Normandy which might have been issued under William (although we don’t know for certain). Here is my most recent example:

Med-05a-FNor-1075-William II-D-XX-23var.jpg

Feudal France - Normandy
    William II-William Clito/Henry I, r. 1035-1135 (1075-1130)
    AR Denier, 19.02 mm x 1.0 grams
    Obv.: +NORMANNIA. Patriarchal Cross with two pellets below. Legend begins at 3h
    Rev.: Church pediment, containing pellet, surmounted by cross, the letters P A X within semicircles on each side
    Ref.: Dumas XX-23 variety
    Ex. Richard A. Jourdan Collection
    Note: Dumas group C et D according to Moesgaard

the theory has been that since this issue also says “PAX” on the reverse like William’s English issue, then it may have been issued by him as well. Unfortunately there has not been very conclusive archaeological finds to pinpoint a particular reign, and the coins of Normandy are not spoken of much in primary sources.

TheRed, galba68, Marsyas Mike and 8 others like this.
  6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This is one of the good and distinguishable ones, very nice.

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Well since we've mentioned the cousin once removed, Edward the Confessor, who died without an heir and was briefly succeeded by Harold Godwinson (Harold II), I thought I'd take a risk and AGAIN post my penny of Edward the Confessor who died in January 1066. Sorry but it is one of my favourites.;)

Edward the Confessor (1042-66) silver Penny ND (1050-53) MS63 PCGS, London mint, Godric as moneyer. Expanding Cross Type. +EDPER | RD RE E, diademed bust left with scepter / +GΘDRIC ΘN LVNDN, voided short cross with expanding limbs; two circles at the center. Apparently the only one graded by PGSC with one other by NGC at AU53.

I would love to get something from Harold II as well, but they are very scarce due to his brief reign.

Edward The Confessor Obv.jpg

Edward The Confessor Rev.jpg

8. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Appreciate seeing your William I. And this Edward the Confessor is most intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  9. An amazing coin! I believe, with past help from the CoinTalk community, that my PAXS coin is a fake. Nonetheless, the design and its history are incredible. Here are some absolutely terrible photos of my William I coin: WilliamI_PAXS_Obv.jpg WilliamI_PAXS_Rev.jpg

1934 Wreath Crown, Bing and galba68 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted