Will this Numerically grade by NGC???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by StevenHarden, Feb 26, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

At least Lady Liberty got clean teeth after all that toothpaste. 100% cleaned, toothpaste or metal cleaner.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The more I look at the reverse image, I wonder. Are those clash marks above the arrows and above the head and neck?

4. StevenHarden

StevenHarden Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Again thank you for all of the information. I wanted to post some more pictures that provide more evidence of the mirror-like reflection of this coin. I used an old address label with a line on it and put a star on it to show how easily you can view it in the reflection of the fields on both the obverse and the reverse. I hope this provides a little bit more detail to somewhat more accurately be able to characterize this coin. Also note the side-view picture I added this time. I understand that some of you were uncertain about the beveling or squareness of the rims. As far as I can tell the rims are straight up and down and square on both sides. Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am still interested to know how all of you might think this would grade at NGC. I understand a lot of you believe it is too heavily cleaned to receive a numerical grade, although to the naked eye it has a very nice appearance except for the multitude of hairline scratches. If you believe this would get a numerical grade, please indicate what grade you might expect this to receive based on the pictures you have seen. If you believe it will just get a details grade, please indicate why you believe so, etc.

Thank You All.

Obverse #2.jpg
    Sideview #2.jpg
    Obverse Reflection #2.jpg
    Reverse Reflection #2.png

Obverse Higher Angle Reflection #2.png

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Now that wcoins reminded me of toothpaste, I have seen a few done this way. The toothbrush probably created all the fine scratches in the fields & the toothpaste created a mirror like finish.

IMO "Details"

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thanks for the updated pictures. It looks like a really nice coin. The rims still don't look flat enough to be a proof. I stand by PL designation if it grades. I can't see any hairlines on the devices, so it might grade. I'd go with UNC Details: Improperly Cleaned.

If you have the money, I'd send it in. If it grades, it will be worth the investment. Plus you'll know.

7. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Underneath the Y in LIBERTY, are those not crisscrossing die polish lines?
    1962 D 50C obv.jpg

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, they are not, because it is impossible for die polish lines to criss-cross.

What you are seeing in that area is a combination of die polish lines ,and die scratches, and light scratches on the coin. Three different things, all in the same area of the coin.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Lots of good info here, thanks guys.

10. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

send it in and lets see what NGC says! Nice coin!

11. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

From what I understand, some coins (specifically early proofs) can be graded even though they are cleaned. Granted, from what I have seen, these coins are net graded, but they still get a grade. Based on this, I believe that if this is a proof, it will grade as a 61, perhaps a 60. If it is graded as a business strike, it will be graded MS Details.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Any coin that is cleaned can be graded provided it is properly cleaned. Any blast white Morgan Dollar has been cleaned. The question is...has this coin been improperly cleaned. I'm not convinced either way personally.

13. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I think it has been harshly cleaned. I should have been more clear on what variety of cleaning I was referring to. Anyway, I think it looks like someone took something abrasive to it, maybe a rag. I understand that this was accepted practice many years ago.

14. CamaroDMD

It's true. :(

15. StevenHarden

Hello All,

There still seems to be some back and forth going on as to whether this is a business strike or a proof, whether it has been harshly cleaned or not, and whether it will grade numerically or under details. I plan to send this into NGC very soon, but need a little more information. What might I use as a declared value for a coin such as this? The NGC price guide shows $1150 for a standard PF60 grade, but if this is a business strike and likely to receive a details grade, what declared value might I use? Also, does NGC have a minimum grade entry for coins sent to them for grading like PCGS has? And if so, what might I use in that entry box? Of course like all of us, I would like to get this numerically graded, but I just need to know how to properly fill out this submission form for this particular coin. Again, any and all information is appreciated. Thank you all for your input.

Thank You

16. McBlzr

NGC Economy tier is Max value of $300 (5 coin minimum) $17 per coin grading fee.
    Early bird tier is Maximum value of $3000. Looks like one coin minimum for $30 grading fee.

Do you have a NGC membership ?

17. StevenHarden

Do you have a NGC membership ?[/quote]

I am a member of the ANA and apparently I can become a member of of the Collectors Society (NGC, NCS, PMG) through an Authorized Submitter Application. Is this correct? I was planning to send that application in, get an NGC submitter number which will let me be able to submit my own coins to NGC.

18. McBlzr

I have the basic NGC membership for $39 per year. But, yes the ANA membership should work for you if you do the application.

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I disagree with the underlined statement. Many of these coins are still original due to being stored in bags at the treasury or other government facilities. Just look at the GSA hoard coins. The GSA did not dip each coin before holdering them. I would agree there are many old white coins that have been dipped, but you cannot automatically say that with the Morgan series.

20. CamaroDMD

Any 100+ year old silver coin that is blast white (meaning no toning at all) has been dipped. Now, many of those GSA coins have very little toning...but it is there. If there is some toning, then maybe they haven't been. But, to get a "brand new" blast white 100 year old silver coin...it must be dipped. Exposure to air...even in those bags causes some toning.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Coins toward the center of the bag can remain untoned because the outer coins have already consumed the reactive gasses entering the bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted