Will this dollar grade or bag?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mill rat41, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I recently bought this gold dollar and there is a small patch of hairlines in front of Miss Liberty's chin. The rest of the coin seems clean. Since these coins are so small and the hairlines are light, you really have to tilt it just right in the light to see them. Will this grade or bag? I'm leaning towards the body bag and returning it.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Looks to me like it would end up in a details slab. Then again I do not know alot about gold coins. To me they look like light pin scratches. I would wait for more opinions.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

provide full photos of the obverse and reserve. impossible to talk about it without them.

5. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

These ain't the best, but I don't have the coin anymore - gave it to the gf to take to the post office in case it goes back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

i would guess it would grade ... i've seen much worse graded by pcgs ... then again i am no expert!

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If it bothers you enough to even ask us - then sending it back is probably the best choice.

8. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Doesn't bother me as much as the Saint.

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

the question is not whether it will get into plastic. the question is whether you are happy witht he coina nd should you be buying such coins?

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

The coin will get into plastic from what I see. What grade are you willing to accept?

11. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

It will grade but due to polishing expect to lose one or two grades (5-10 points on the Shelton system)

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Could go either way in my opinion.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

p.s. if you're "leaning towards" returning it, you probably should.

14. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

In the end I'm going to keep it. Cleaned or not the eye appeal isn't bad and I don't have much invested in it. I see au type ones at Paul sims, Skyline and the like for $240 ish - and theirs are probably cleaned too. If I decide to submit it, I will update the thread. Thank you all for your opinions.

Draft saved Draft deleted